300 rem ultra mag

First things first....

Call up Redhawk Rifles and get a stock headed your way. :) I've had fantastick luck with 3 700sI put in their B&C stocks.

First range day with the new lead launcher. Can't complain about accuracy. Luckily it sighted in quick. Its a monster without a break and will be going in this week for a nice break.

Attachments

• 20130203_171350.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 267
Man! Impressive! Can't complain about that at all! I wouldn't be surprised if a brake improved those groups some as well!

That looks like a real nice shooter, great snag you got there. I woud imagine a 300 Ultra would kick a bit :)

How many rounds is a 300RUM barrel good for? I had one and the accuracy began to drop off after 1500 rounds. It took several hundred rounds just to discover what propellant, bullet and primer, and OAL it liked best! The 300RUM is not for everyone. As soon as I went beyond MV that I was already attaining with 30-06/180gr. bullets, the groups produced by my 300RUM began to open up!
For me the 300RUM used a lot more propellant and produce a lot more recoil that was warranted for the small MV gain.
Steven L. Ashe

Steven,

Some 300RUMs have significant throat erosion after as few as 1000 rounds. It depends in great measure whether the shooter gives time to cool between shots and whether the throat is kept clean. Ignore these things, and accuracy can go pretty quickly. The smaller the bore and the greater the propellant capacity to bore, the quicker the potential erosion.

Dr. Mike,
I was strictly following a slow fire regimen, because I know that in a hunting sits. I would be taking game under fire from a cold barrel. I always had multiple rifles at the range and the 300RUM cooled for at least 20 minutes, before the next shot. I also followed strict, correct cleaning procedures.
The rifle did cleanly take one bull elk at a little over 300 yards, when my hunting partner jammed his 7mmRemMag rifle, after hitting the bull one time. My hand loaded 180gr. Speer Grand Slam bullet dropped the bull in his tracks, after I passed my rifle up to my friend.
After that trip, I was fed up with the finickiness of the 300RUM chambered Browning Stalker and moved it down the road.
Since I started using the Browning Stalker in 280Rem. I do not believe that I will ever need another rifle for deer types. My second choice would be the 7mmRemMag chambered rifle.
Mine report is, of course, only from my own experience with one rifle chambered in 300RUM and really proves nothing, but the results of my own experience.
Steven L. Ashe

Steven, I had a similar experience with a 7mmRemMag in terms of accuracy versus velocity, and it just emphasizes the point that each rifle is a system unto itself. Ten different rifles will shoot the same load ten different ways. That 7mmRemMag is the only gun I've ever sold. I figured I could get the same velocities from a 7mm-08 with less powder and recoil. But there are advantages to an accurate 300Mag. My 300Wby spits out a 180gr E-Tip at 400-500fps faster than my 30-06 would, and shoots them into an inch or less. I suspect with some tweaking of seating depth this spring, I'll get that well under 1". If it did not shoot, I'd sure send it down the road, as well.

Sorry to hear your experience was less than stellar. But, on the flipside, it sounds like you ended up with one of the best setups out there - a Browning A-Bolt in 280Rem that is accurate. Glad it all worked out in the end.

Steven,

I'd say you did very well with your RUM. You handled it with expertise and it treated you well; these usually go hand-in-glove.

The greater the amount of powder burned in a case, the greater the potential for erosion of the throat. It is a fact. Under the best of conditions, 1500 rounds is quite a few through a 300RUM. Your report verifies this contention. There is no free lunch; if we want the velocity, we must burn more powder. When we burn more powder, more heat is produced and more abrasive conditions blasting across the throat of the rifle. The more heat and the greater the amount of abrasion, the more erosion. I have witnessed some rifles (7.21 Firebird and 223 WSSM, among others) that showed significant erosion of the throat in less than 300 rounds. It was not the fault of the round, but a consequence of the manner in which the shooting was done. This is less of a problem as bore size is increased, but it is a problem, nevertheless.

Amazing, how we can have different experiences. If I had not already taken a fair number of mule deer, whitetails and antelope with a Browning B78 in 7mmRemMag, I may have gotten rid of it too, when I shot a wild pig in N. FL. The pig only weighed a little over 200 lbs. dressed weight. I was on a sand road in paper country property in N. FL. The boar came out at around 80 yards in front of me, carrying the mail. By my luck, he was going away at a very shallow angle, when I got the scope up, set on 3X and had him clearly in the crosshairs, alomost like a stationary target. I swung the crosshairs back on his ribs, as he kept going. The 140 Nosler AccuBond tore through a lot of bone and muscle, shattering the off side shoulder and lodging in the tough hide armor. Amazingly, the hit did not knock the pig off his feet. He was spun, reversing direction 180 degrees and roared past me, as I stood ready to pull myself up into a tree. He jumped a 4' wide drainage ditch and collapse 10 yards beyond that. He was dead when I got to him.
I still am amazed at the power and strength of a pig, hit like that and still does not go down. The 140gr. bullet weighed 95gr. after being retrieved from the pigs tough hide.
I guess my point is : Don't take one negative performance as reason to let a rifle/cartridge go. The same rifle took a large Mule Deer buck at 404 yards, using the same bullet.
Wife, Storm has taken deer, antelope and five boar with her 7mm-08 using 120gr. Nosler Bal. Tips, all "bang flop" shots, so we do always need the speed and power of the magnum to kill cleanly.
These are all my own opinions, but for me, my tries at getting super MV from a Mag, are over.
Steven L. Ashe

I'm hoping I can get an even better group. Those were factory nosler trophy grade 180 ABs. The gun is having a break put on now and I am gonna glass bed the stock when I get it back so things should get even better. I have 3 different powders loaded for the new 300. So hopefully I can tighten it up even more.

Got my lead cannon back from HT customs today. The break looks great. Hopefully it works as good as it looks

Attachments

• 20130221_174659-1.jpg
    20130221_174659-1.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 304
Looks real good. You'll be amazed at how the recoil is diminished. That being said IMO don't ever fire it with out hearing protection, or you'll be amazed at how much your ears hurt.

akhunter":vv848j5e said:
I'd be curious on how the 165 Accubonds handle on game at RUM velocities.

A co-worker of mine has shot several animals including a spike elk with a 165 grain AccuBond and he loves them. Says they put the animals down right now. As far as I know no bullet recovery either.

Corey

C.Smith":1ftght5t said:
akhunter":1ftght5t said:
I'd be curious on how the 165 Accubonds handle on game at RUM velocities.

A co-worker of mine has shot several animals including a spike elk with a 165 grain AccuBond and he loves them. Says they put the animals down right now. As far as I know no bullet recovery either.

Corey

I would not be surprised. That said in a rum I prefer the 200 AB

I hope to build a load with 165 ABs for longer distances. For animals such as antelope here in Colorado. When we are hunting deer and elk distance is never and issue. Lngest shot I have ever taken was about 250 for elk and deer. The old speed goats are a different story. Last year the closest we got to any antelope was just over 500 yrds and they were running balls out.

Back