300 RUM 210 ABLR RL33/Retumbo

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
So I have been working with a 300 RUM for a bit and fell like I am getting close, but load data is pretty elusive stuff for the big fella. Nosler's data lists RL25 as being the bees knees, while 33 and Retumbo are pretty far down the list. I have messed with seating depths and have a pretty good handle on that part of it, but what are you 300 RUM shooters using for your combos. The rifle has a 26" barrel on it and so far seems to be a pretty pleasant rifle to shoot, but the ABLR's are going to make me work pretty hard I think.

It doesn't make sense that almost every darned thing I can find has Retumbo and a 200 knocking down 3100-3200. While Noslers data and a few other manuals barely get any of the 200's much over 2900 if that most of the time.

I know some folks I trust on here like Guy and Bill have done great with 200 Accubonds and Retumbo and reported the 3150-3200 from their guns. I am actually not looking for brass killers, and would be A-Ok with a load in the 3000-3100 range with the 210 if it is accurate as sin and doesn't destroy the gold plated brass.

QL is of moderate help here with the RUM as the numbers seem way skewed, and it really doesn't matter which combo I have put through the rifle, I get the dual ejectors marks on the Nosler brass. I know there are fast barrels and slow barrels to some extent, but I am kinda wondering if I am just getting marks due to sharp edges and soft brass. Really, I have no idea, but this thing is a project right now and I'd like to kick it in the shorts.

My next course of action is loading 87.0 (where I am at now for about 3007 FPS) and continuing on up in .3 grain intervals to see what happens. If I can find a flat spot, I have a good seating depth worked out and maybe I'll find magic, but I wanted to bounce this off you all for opinions.

Scotty retumbo really shines in my rum with a 200 AccuBond, rem brass, fed 215m with 3197 ave 3 shot velocity. Magnum powder is even more accurate than retumbo but settles in at 3080 and is easy on the brass. My retumbo load is up close to my max but magnum has room to go if i wanted more than 3080.

You could have a slower barrel but should reach the speed you are looking for with little effort.

Bill

OU812":571tn8lv said:
Scotty retumbo really shines in my rum with a 200 AccuBond, rem brass, fed 215m with 3197 ave 3 shot velocity. Magnum powder is even more accurate than retumbo but settles in at 3080 and is easy on the brass. My retumbo load is up close to my max but magnum has room to go if i wanted more than 3080.

You could have a slower barrel but should reach the speed you are looking for with little effort.

Bill

Thank you Bill. Was hoping you were going to chime in!

Do you get any marks on your brass with your 200 AB and Retumbo load? Just wondering. I couldn’t hardly believe my rifle is 200 FPS slow..

Scotty the only time I observed any ejector marks where on quite warm days which I try to avoid shooting in for the most part. I personally think very little of nosler brass due to its softness.

OU812":sjgtidfj said:
Scotty the only time I observed any ejector marks where on quite warm days which I try to avoid shooting in for the most part. I personally think very little of nosler brass due to its softness.

Maybe that’s my issue Bill. That’s what I’m using is Nosler brass?

Shoot, might have to try some Hornady or Remington?

SJB358":34ijpmpu said:
OU812":34ijpmpu said:

I can't say for sure that another brand of brass will be the end all be all but it can't hurt to try. You could have a slow lot of powder also. With my newest lot of powder it took .5 grains less than my old lot to achieve the same velocity.

I sent you a pm.

OU812":3dyva6k0 said:
SJB358":3dyva6k0 said:
OU812":3dyva6k0 said:

I can't say for sure that another brand of brass will be the end all be all but it can't hurt to try. You could have a slow lot of powder also. With my newest lot of powder it took .5 grains less than my old lot to achieve the same velocity.

I sent you a pm.

Got it. Thank you Bill. I’ll try pushing the Nosler a bit more and see what happens. I may be hitting you up.

Scotty,
I have a 300 RUM 700 BDL with a 26" Shall Barrel that is magnaported. I've shot Retumbo, RL33, RL25, H1000 and IMR 7828 out of mine using the 200 AB. I use Remington cases with 215 mag primers.

Fotis gave me the recipe I'm currently using. 91.5 RL25 gets me 3050-3100 fps. RL33 I found took a lot more powder to get the speeds I'm getting with RL25. Retumbo peaked to fast for me. Gun didn't like H1000. IMR 7828 had exceptional accuracy but couldn't get the velocity like RL25.

I often thought about the 210 ABLR bullet but with the accuracy I'm getting with the 200AB didn't think trying the 210 was worth the bother. My ported barrel loses some velocity,otherwise I could be getting 50-60 fps more with my load.

Best of luck with the load development. Keep us posted. :wink:

Don

SJB358":37v75imq said:
OU812":37v75imq said:
SJB358":37v75imq said:
OU812":37v75imq said:

I sent you a pm.

Got it. Thank you Bill. I’ll try pushing the Nosler a bit more and see what happens. I may be hitting you up.

I understand not seeing the velocity one hopes for, hell my 35 won't get the velocity your 35 gets but it is what it is and I'm ok with it. You'll get the speed up I'm certain of that.

I'm with Don on the 200 AccuBond. With the speed and accuracy I'm getting I doubt I could improve considering the loose nut behind the recoil pad.

Scotty,
I've experienced the same thing Bill stated. I had ejector marks trying Nosler brass as it is to soft compared to Remington. I also had higher pressure messing around with Retumbo, especially in warm temperatures. Shot excellent groups had the best velocity too. I found RL25, at least for me, was more temperature stable.

I developed my current RL25 load in 35-degree temps. at 3,050 fps. I find the velocity increases to about 3130 fps in warmer temps, like 85-90 degrees. For what ever reason I get better accuracy when using 1x fired Remington brass verses new brass.

Don

OU812":g24alevj said:
I understand not seeing the velocity one hopes for, hell my 35 won't get the velocity your 35 gets but it is what it is and I'm ok with it. You'll get the speed up I'm certain of that.

I’m actually not speed hungry with this one, anything over 3000 with that 210 is cool with me, but I don’t think I’m getting enough pressure to really make it sing.

Don, I’ve got a bunch of 25, I may give it a shot as well. Thank you!

It is a fun darned cartridge. I’d love to get it tuned up and hunt it this fall. Shoot, I’m just excited to shoot it long.

I love my 300 rum, it's the only elk rifle I've never sold after killing a bull and it has 4 to its credit over the recent years. I do need to get it out and shoot it more.

It's so incredibly fun to shoot long range. I enjoy shooting mine better than my 30-06 from the bench! 8) :mrgreen: and I really like my 30-06!

Given you have the time, it's fun messing around with all the horsepower the 300 RUM brings. 8)

Don

DON":11chct8x said:
It's so incredibly fun to shoot long range. I enjoy shooting mine better than my 30-06 from the bench! 8) :mrgreen: and I really like my 30-06!

Given you have the time, it's fun messing around with all the horsepower the 300 RUM brings. 8)

Don

True that Don.

Since my 300RUM shoots the 200AB so well, I don't feel the need to mess with it. That being said, here's my load data:

Rifle: Rem 700, 26" barrel in a laminate thumb-hole stock

200AB
95gn Retumbo
Rem brass trimmed to 2.83
Fed GM215M primers
COL(base to bullet tip): 3.635
Avg 6 shot velocity: 3137 (at sea level)

As for Rem brass, good luck finding it for any of the RUMs. I'm just glad I bought 300 pieces back when I bought the rifle in 2006. I do have a bunch of Nosler brass for it as well, but haven't used any of it yet.

Here is a quick summary of what I have done so far with the 210 ABLR's. I tried loading 1 shot with a safe charge, checked speed with the MS and tried to shoot them on paper.

The way they came out at first was 87 grains of Retumbo and 95 grains of RL33

I kinda took the reading at face value and just shot them.

So, after looking at these I decided Retumbo looked a little better and maybe the 210 just wanted to be in a different seating spot..

So, after I ran those I was scratching my head. I vowed I will give the 210's one box to show some excellent, consistent accuracy, after that, I'll move onto something else..

Anyhow, I decided since most all of you all are getting more speed with more powder that I will bump up the charges and see what happens.

That is when I decided to try 89 grains, and then I saw previously that is was over a 100 FPS off from the previous try. I kinda figured it was because it wasn't near enough steam to make it consistent, so I shot 91.0 grains again... Bingo, speed was within 15 FPS from the previous time.

Well, since my targets seemed to all look about the same, I ran with 3.675 COAL and decided to run a small ladder and see what happens.

So I said darn, 92.2 looks like a good spot, .6 grain spread and only 12 FPS difference. So I loaded up 9 rounds and took them to put on paper today.

1st

2nd

3rd

So, I came away feeling better and I am getting somewhere. Cases still look good and things are consistent. I just loaded them .010" deeper from 3.665, 3.655, and 3.645... Seems like in all three I am getting 1 out so maybe I can pull it in?

Anyhow, figured I would throw some of this up there for you all. I saw my error in shooting 1 shot just to start. I know now I was way under pressure and Retumbo has been all over the map for me in years past until it is near the top of the operating range. I am plenty happy with the speed at 3075-3090'ish, wherever it falls out, but it would be nice to tune it in some.. I have about 1/2 box of bullets left or maybe more but when they are gone, movin on to something else.

Back