300 RUM 210 ABLR RL33/Retumbo

You picked a tough opponent for your first game. I like easy wins and generally pick a hunting bullet that gives in to accuracy with little effort. No need to beat myself up to prove i can do it. Never seen the appeal of the LRAB considering how picky they seem to be.

OU812":ss5ydh4c said:
You picked a tough opponent for your first game. I like easy wins and generally pick a hunting bullet that gives in to accuracy with little effort. No need to beat myself up to prove i can do it. Never seen the appeal of the LRAB considering how picky they seem to be.

I swore them off a few years back cause they did the same thing in a few great rifles.

I figured I’d give them a shot! Oh well, on to something else I think. You’ve talked me into it!

The longer I hunt and shoot the easier I like things to be. I love working up loads but don't enjoy endless trips to the range trying to find the one load that seems to be inconsistant every trip.

OU812":33x6ubnj said:
The longer I hunt and shoot the easier I like things to be. I love working up loads but don't enjoy endless trips to the range trying to find the one load that seems to be inconsistant every trip.

I’m feeling that right now buddy!

Did this with a 200 ELD

180 AccuBond

180 Sierra

200 Woodleigh

I know the gun shoots, but I think the ABLRs aren’t a good fit. Will give the LRXs a try tomorrow.

I'd say it can shoot, doesnt look to picky either. Life's to short for a picky bullet when there are so many great choices, looks like you found a few. (y)

OU812":1ycm1ra3 said:
I'd say it can shoot, doesnt look to picky either. Life's to short for a picky bullet when there are so many great choices, looks like you found a few. (y)

Thanks Bill! Needed the push to try something else... onto the Barnes I think.

You needed no push my friend, you knew what needed to be done but some times letting go and walking away is easier said than done. Doing the right thing isnt always easy but it always right. Even if it means admitting a bullet just isnt going to work. Ive had 2 338 caliber rifles that would not shoot a 250 Partition to save my life.

OU812":15yex0hk said:
You needed no push my friend, you knew what needed to be done but some times letting go and walking away is easier said than done. Doing the right thing isnt always easy but it always right. Even if it means admitting a bullet just isnt going to work. Ive had 2 338 caliber rifles that would not shoot a 250 Partition to save my life.

That would’ve drove me bananas!

It did and it took me a bit to move on after many different powders and lots of bullets. Both loved the AccuBond and ttsx though.

Well, I kinda dropped the 210's for now. Not sure if I will come back to them, but I had a Wyatt's box for the rifle, so I installed it and was able to lengthen my loaded rounds out to 3.775" COAL. Much better. I will post up some pictures but I tried the 200 grain Barnes LRX's with Retumbo and they shot really well.

Even better was the 220 grain Lapua Scenar.. Didn't matter the powder charge, those things just shot like crazy.

Bad news is the Wyatt's box is kinda hard to make feed correctly. Just doesn't seem like a well built box at all, I monkeyed with it for a few hours with some rounds and it is okay, but my heart hurts when a rifle doesn't function like a Model 70...

So, I went ahead and sent my rifle out to PT&G and they will install their alloy M5 style Bottom Metal which will let me use AICS 300 RUM 3.850 magazines from Accurate Mags. I am usually not a ginormous fan of detachable magazines, but this one is alright for it's intended use. Shouldn't add much weight and ergo's shouldn't be too corrupted.

http://pacifictoolandgauge.com/remingto ... metal.html

https://accurate-mag.com/shop/magazines ... -magazine/

Scotty,
I found my load notes when testing 180 E-tips in the 300 RUM back in 2011.

Remington 700 BDL 26" Ported Shall Barrel
1x fired Rem Cases full length resized
215 Mag Primers
180- E-Tip
95.0 RL 25
3309 fps
Bullet seated out almost length of magazine

Same as above with different powder
95.0 Retumbo
3273 fps
Bullet seating the same

Don

DON":5xpgi2hs said:
Scotty,
I found my load notes when testing 180 E-tips in the 300 RUM back in 2011.

Remington 700 BDL 26" Ported Shall Barrel
1x fired Rem Cases full length resized
215 Mag Primers
180- E-Tip
95.0 RL 25
3309 fps
Bullet seated out almost length of magazine

Same as above with different powder
95.0 Retumbo
3273 fps
Bullet seating the same

Don

Thank you Don! Great info and 3300 is SCREAMING. I just happen to have some 180 Bitterroots I’d like to put to use.

Scott:

Did you ever try the 200 LRX? I am about to give them a try in my RUM

I tried them Fotis. I never got anywhere with them that I liked, but I liked the bullet alot.

Back