300 RUM 220 Scenars N570

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
I decided a couple weeks ago of trying to see if I could get the 210 ABLR's to shoot in my RUM. Well, I tried all of the good powders I have on the shelf, 570, RL33, H1000, Retumbo and SB HD. I worked up in speed to get a usable load and tried 4 each of each specific powder charge. To my anger, NOTHING, not a darned one began to shoot.

I won't even bother posting pictures, but picture an improved cylinder 410 at 50 yards with 000 buck.. It was bad..

Anyhow, I was scratching my head thinking maybe something was broke or the scope was bad. On a whim, I loaded up a known load that has shot well in the past and tried it out.

Needless to say, I put the ABLR's back on the shelf till I have a barrel that can stomach em :cool:

Well, that is a load that will work on about anything you'd ever wish to hunt in NA. (y)

Nicely done. The only ABLR I EVER got to shoot was the 129 from my 264 Ruger #1. That is it!

Seat them a tad deeper
The 220's?

Nicely done. The only ABLR I EVER got to shoot was the 129 from my 264 Ruger #1. That is it!
The 175's in my 7 Mashburn and the 129's in my 6.5 PRC have been the only two I have gotten excellent stuff from. I have tried this 210 out of so many rifles and come up with nothin every time. I swear a 1-10 just doesn't work for beans with them. I know guys with 9's and 8's that hammer with them.

I don't get it fellas. Those ABLR's shoot lights out for me in several rifles and calibers/weights.
6.5 Creedmoor 129 gr ABLR
280 AI 150/168 gr ABLR
308 Win 168 gr ABLR
30 Nosler 168 gr ABLR
338 RUM 265/300 gr ABLR
All shoot well under .5 MOA.

JD338

I don't get it fellas. Those ABLR's shoot lights out for me in several rifles and calibers/weights.
6.5 Creedmoor 129 gr ABLR
280 AI 150/168 gr ABLR
308 Win 168 gr ABLR
30 Nosler 168 gr ABLR
338 RUM 265/300 gr ABLR
All shoot well under .5 MOA.

JD338
Jim, my opinion and it's just mine, but I think some of the longer variants need more twist. If you run them through some twist calcs you see they are marginal at best at stability. The ones you mention are all well within the twist of the rifles you're using them in (129 is a 8, 150/168 is a 9, 308 and 30 Nosler is a 10 twist shooting 168's, and the 338's do great with a 10 twist with some very long bullets).

I think maybe, if you tried something like the (150 ABLR in your 6.5, the 210 in your 30 and the 175 in your 280) you might not strike gold. Some folks get away with it a little being at higher elevation, but I think you chose wisely keeping your bullets in stability range of your twist.

I have some 190 ABLR's that might just work. But I might try them in the 300 H&H as well. For some reason, that old bird is screaming at me to stay on the heavier side...

You bring up a great point. I do have a partial box of 308 190 ABLR's. I'll have to try them in the 308 Win and the 30 Nosler.
The 338 RUM has a Krieger 1:9.3 twist which really likes the 300 ABLR.

JD338

Attachments

• IMG_20230530_135011917.jpg
    IMG_20230530_135011917.jpg
    435.3 KB · Views: 8
I agree , the Nosler recommend twist is too slow for good results on the ABLR's . Brian the guy from Berger bullets tested these when they first came out . the Nosler BC rating was much lower than advertised , but when he ran them through a fast twist barrel the BC was pretty darned close . an unstable bullet will not attain the optimum BC , and I'm sure hinders accuracy . .

You bring up a great point. I do have a partial box of 308 190 ABLR's. I'll have to try them in the 308 Win and the 30 Nosler.
The 338 RUM has a Krieger 1:9.3 twist which really likes the 300 ABLR.

JD338
Yeah, the 9.3 twist on the RUM makes about everything reasonable.

I'd bet the 190's work fine in the 30, might even be a wicked bullet honestly.

I agree , the Nosler recommend twist is too slow for good results on the ABLR's . Brian the guy from Berger bullets tested these when they first came out . the Nosler BC rating was much lower than advertised , but when he ran them through a fast twist barrel the BC was pretty darned close . an unstable bullet will not attain the optimum BC , and I'm sure hinders accuracy . .
I remember seeing that. I just know I haven't seen a 1-10 308 caliber rifle shoot a 210 worth a crap yet. A few fellas online seem to do okay with them, but they were around 5K which helps a bit. I have a 1-8 Krieger I could get installed on the 300 RUM, but there are so many other good bullets which will work, I just WANTED to use the 210's. Dropping back to 190 ABLR's and it doesn't really do much my Mashburn does other than offer more recoil for less BC.

I decided a couple weeks ago of trying to see if I could get the 210 ABLR's to shoot in my RUM. Well, I tried all of the good powders I have on the shelf, 570, RL33, H1000, Retumbo and SB HD. I worked up in speed to get a usable load and tried 4 each of each specific powder charge. To my anger, NOTHING, not a darned one began to shoot.

I won't even bother posting pictures, but picture an improved cylinder 410 at 50 yards with 000 buck.. It was bad..

Anyhow, I was scratching my head thinking maybe something was broke or the scope was bad. On a whim, I loaded up a known load that has shot well in the past and tried it out.

Needless to say, I put the ABLR's back on the shelf till I have a barrel that can stomach em :cool:
Spin a 30” 8 Twist on that Rum and you’ll have killing machine.

Jim, my opinion and it's just mine, but I think some of the longer variants need more twist. If you run them through some twist calcs you see they are marginal at best at stability. The ones you mention are all well within the twist of the rifles you're using them in (129 is a 8, 150/168 is a 9, 308 and 30 Nosler is a 10 twist shooting 168's, and the 338's do great with a 10 twist with some very long bullets).

I think maybe, if you tried something like the (150 ABLR in your 6.5, the 210 in your 30 and the 175 in your 280) you might not strike gold. Some folks get away with it a little being at higher elevation, but I think you chose wisely keeping your bullets in stability range of your twist.

I have some 190 ABLR's that might just work. But I might try them in the 300 H&H as well. For some reason, that old bird is screaming at me to stay on the heavier side...
The more I think of it what you're saying makes a lot of sense. My only experience with the ABLR was with the 129 gr in the 1 in 8 twist 260 Rem and it was easy to get 1/2 MOA the first try. Seems like those 129's just plain shoot for a lot of people. Whenever I get around to shooting my Tikka 1 in 11 twist 300 WSM barrel I'll make sure to avoid the 210 gr ABLR and try the 190 instead which would be an awesome match for that cartridge anyway.

I was catching up on some unread emails today , and stumbled on to this .

Good read Jim. It sure looks like the faster twist rates are a must for the heavier ABLR's.

JD338

Does a slower than optimum twist explain the flyers many people get with ABLR?
seems it could if it’s on the edge already I guess.? I’ve tried the 142gr around 3000mv with a 7.5 tw.
No bueno.
This was at 300yds.

SG shows 1.74 I just did a calculation

Last edited:
Does a slower than optimum twist explain the flyers many people get with ABLR?
seems it could if it’s on the edge already I guess.? I’ve tried the 142gr around 3000mv with a 7.5 tw.
No bueno.
This was at 300yds.

SG shows 1.74 I just did a calculation
That should be more than enough. But I have fought a bunch of them in the past that just wouldn't shoot for beans. I kinda gave up on them till decided to try the 129's in the 6.5 PRC and the 175's in the Mashburn. In those two, they shoot like they have eyes. The 210's fly like they have eyes covered with a blindfold, underwater :p

I do think these ABLR's are a finicky bullet . my advice is , if things in your combo look like they should work , but it doesn't , move on . I sure wouldn't beat myself up trying , there are other bullets out there that shoot well and more easily to get shooting well .

Back