300 savage 125 gr. ballistic tip loads

tkeveney

Beginner
Dec 22, 2008
I have just recently started loading for a 300 savage model 99. I have had decent luck with 150 grain bullets. I just loaded a small test batch of 125 grain bullets with W 748. Any other observations, experiences you folks may have with the lighter bullets in these cool old rifles would be helpful.

It looks like some very impressive velocity and energy figures are possible with these 125's. It is a pretty efficient powder user too.

Any actual hunting experiences you could share with a load like this would be helpful as well.

I hate re - inventing the wheel too - I'm sure someone has cooked up something pretty hot for gun already. Please share you pet loads. Thanks!

TIM

I have what is called a 30x47 caliber rifle. It is nothing but a 300 Savage case with the shoulder pushed back ten thousands inch and leaving the case length the same. I shoot 42 grs IMR 4895 and a 125 Nosler Ballistic Tip for 2850 fps and it just SMOKES deer out to 300 yards so far. The 125 Nosler BT is constructed to be used on deer size game. Many 125s are varmint bullets and really come apart. Sierra 125 spitzer will work on deer also but is a little softer than the BT. The Nosler Ballistic Tips impact velocity should be kept under 3000 fps or they really come apart. I use the 125 BT in my 308 Win at 3000 fps the 30x47 at 2850 fps and my T/C Contender pistol 14" barrel 30-30AI at 2670 fps. With all 99% of the time it is bang flop on deer. You can load up to 43.5 grs IMR 4895 safely in your 99 Savage rifle and that should get you to around 2900 fps which will be perfect for the 125 BT. If you want a varmint bullet just sub the 125 Speer TNT. That is what I do with my 30x47. It will mess up a ground hog.

Thanks for the tips. That is exactly what I was looking for. Have you tried the AccuBond Bullets? Those are supposedly of a bit sturdier build than the Balistic Tips.

I loaded some .308 Win ammo for my friend Dani, using the 125 gr Ballistic Tip. It proved to be very accurate, and quite lethal on her first whitetail buck. You can see the high shoulder shot. The bullet penetrated through that shoulder, wrecked the lungs, dropped the animal instantly.

Bullet was recovered, flattened out, just under the off side hide, having penetrated that shoulder as well. I've got a photo of the recovered bullet someplace, or I think you can find it in our Bullet Test section.

This is the only time I've loaded the 125's for hunting, but I was impressed with both the accuracy & on game performance. As I recall, muzzle velocity from Dani's .308 Win was about 3,000 fps. Accuracy from her lightweight SAKO was on a par with a match rifle for three shots...

.308 Win isn't all that far removed from the .300 Savage, so I thought the info might be useful.

Regards, Guy

Here's a link to my earlier post, with recovered bullet weight & expanded diameter, along with some comments from our terrific members here. Including one fellow who has taken over 50 deer, using the 125 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip!

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=26561

Guy

I recall that post, Guy. That certainly generates respect for the little 125 grain BT on deer-size game.

It is me that has taken over 50 deer with the 125 BT. I use it in all my 30 cal. stuff for deer.
No I have not tried the 125 AccuBond but for impact velocity over 3000 fps it would be a good choice. I shoot the 130 AccuBond in my 264 Win mag at muzzle velocity of 3350 fps and it reacts the same at 25 yards as it does a touch over 500 yards. Goes in expands and takes out the vitals and exits with a quarter size hole and deer are bang flop. I have just about a lifetime supply of 125 BTs on the shelf and I have complete confidence in it. I have gotten a good number of people to try the 125 BT on deer and now they will not shoot anything else. As long as you keep your impact velocity under 3000 fps it is great on deer.

Thanks. I kinda thought the same thing, but was never able to test the theory with my 30-06 (it just does not shoot accurately that slow.)

Glad to hear you think the ballistic tips will work fine at that velocity. The Accubonds are about double the price, eh?

125gr BT with Varget in the 300 savage are impressive for speed-accuracy-Effect. W748 would also be a great choice. After killing several critters with the 99 and 125gr BT, I now use them in my 308 with W748.

Perfect deer bullet for the 300 Savage in my mind! I loaded it to 3000fps back in the late 80's for a friends 30-06. He was a classmate at bible college (Tulsa) he later moved back to his home town in Yakima, WA. he used it on coyotes and deer and we both used it on rock chucks! Its a killer!

Hmmm, might have to give them a shot in my grandpas 300 Savage. Haven't done much with it in awhile. Should be a sweet deer killer. He always shot 180 Silvertips through it though.

Once I shoot up my 150gr 300Savage and 308 loads I'm loading these for deer hunting. Haven't heard anything but good about these on deer sized game.

Both Nosler 125 gr BT and 125 Sierra PH bullets shot well out of both my 308's. I hunted with a book max load of IMR 4895, but starting loads were also very accurate. Haven't harvested anything with either bullet, but would not hesitate to deer hunt with either.

I shot some deer with the 125 Sierra out of a 308. Not a bad bullet but it was fairly soft even with a mild load. I think the Ballistic Tip would be a little tougher and still put the pain train on deer. Heck, I wouldn't mind trying the AccuBond either.

Back