300 Ultra Mag Loads

Buffalohead

Beginner
Mar 4, 2006
I am looking into a 300 Remington Ultra Mag and noticed no 165 factory loads for it. Does it not like 165's or just not popular. I was thinking about 165 for deer at long range and 180's for elk. What do you guys that load for this round like? Thank in advance.

Dont waste your time with anythign less then a 180g bullet. Your handicapping the cartridges real ability. If you wish to use it for deer, use a 180g btip or the sort at 3300fps, for elk use a 200g AB at 3200fps. I have several loads for several bullets. If you need specifics, let me know. Be glad to help. For long range, speed is not everything, weight behind the bullet and BC is what counts for long range.

Buffalohead,
Rem Man is right on the mark. Stay with 180 gr or 200 gr bullets in your 300 RUM for short or long range hunting. The 165 gr bullets will work but you will end up with massive destruction from the lighter bullet at close range and less retained energy at long range.

Regards,

JD338

89.5-90.0grs of RL22 with a 165 gr bullet should do what you want. My two RUMS like those loads.Rick.

A 165gr bullet would work fine, but I prefer to use 180s. The whole reason I bought a RUM is to push fairly heavy bullets at high speeds, so to me, light bullets just don't have much appeal for such a cartridge.

Thanks for the tips and replies, now to find $$$ for the beast . I may wait and see if I get drawn before I go shopping. Do any of you prefer a specific rifle over another in this Cartridge? Thanks

I am a M700 guy so I will say Remington. All my 700's shoot under MOA with handloads and Nosler bullets.
My 338 RUM shoots under .5 MOA.

JD338

remingtonman_25_06":wcc3bsp1 said:
Dont waste your time with anythign less then a 180g bullet. Your handicapping the cartridges real ability. If you wish to use it for deer, use a 180g btip or the sort at 3300fps, for elk use a 200g AB at 3200fps. I have several loads for several bullets. If you need specifics, let me know. Be glad to help. For long range, speed is not everything, weight behind the bullet and BC is what counts for long range.

I agree!

Buffalohead":14ymxobr said:
Thanks for the tips and replies, now to find $$$ for the beast . I may wait and see if I get drawn before I go shopping. Do any of you prefer a specific rifle over another in this Cartridge? Thanks

SAKO 75...believe me!
Here is a 300 yard (not 100) with 200 Accubonds at 3150 fps.
.675" At 300.
Beat that with a Remington.....No way unless it was made in the 70's or 80's ...no rums back then! :lol:
sako.jpg

I will say remington 700's as well. Mine has gave me some impressive groups, no .6" at 300, but it has given me a 1.5" at 525 yards, and 3.5" at 800. Beat that with a Sako. Ha ha, just given ya crap POP. those sako's are shooters. Mine will shoot .5" as well with its preferred loads, and has kept .5 moa out to 800 yards. I'm sure a sako will do that to. But heres proof of that 1.5" 3 shot group at 525 yards. Shot it the day before I went hunt elk hunting. The very first shot is to the right, it was a clean barrel, cold, fouler shot. After the first initial shot, it put 2 .5" away, and the 3rd 1 inch away.

qy946h.jpg

Thanks for all the help with this question. And now the good news. My wife ordered a 700 SPS SS in 300 RUM for me for my birthday. I think I will keep them both. She had a toss-up between a new compound bow or this rifle, may be that she and the kids really do like hunting and eating those dead critters we drag home!

Back