300 Wby 150 AB's for elk?

Bwana

Beginner
Oct 13, 2005
I have been following the site for a couple of months, and just signed on. I inherited a 300 Weatherby Mark V, which is 25 years old. I have tried many rounds and loads. My best is the 150 grain AccuBond with 86 grains of H4831, at about 3380 fps. This deer season that round took my deer, and I let friends use it as well to test it. There were 4 one shot kills at the following yardages: 404, 310, 300, and 160. I really think I'm fine to shoot an elk with that 150 grn AB. What do you folks think?

Bwana":2ay5ce02 said:
What do you folks think?

Many Bulls have been killed with 150gr. and 140 gr. It is all about you, your accuracy and ability to shoot...which sounds like (from your record) you have that covered...

I am curious about this same bullet at speeds above 3000fps...i.e. I have a .300 Win Mag. and want to load 150gr. NAB's and am curious if there are any issues with the speed of this and rate of expansion etc.

clearly great bullet, and amazingly flat, and more than enough energy to knock down an elk (IMHO)...there is too much non-factual debate on what it takes to put an elk down...dont listen to it...

MTdream

I do need to check with Nosler in regards to the function of the AccuBond above 3000. Opening day my friend shot a small 3X4 mule deer at 300 yards. Looking through my bino's I couldn't believe what I saw. He hit the buck just behind the left shoulder leaving a baseball size hole. The buck went a few yards and fell over. There was no exit wound, and I didn't find the bullet. That doesn't mean it wasn't there I just didn't find it. We were in a bad spot with some nasty weather coming at us, and had to move. No meat damage either, just a big hole.

bwana,

I am sure that a 150 gr AB will kill an Elk but if you are not getting exit wounds from deer, you most llikely won't get an exit wound on an Elk which is much bigger. Also consider that you may not get a perfect shot or angle on an ELk so penetration may not be what you need to put your bull down quickly. You could end up with a disapointing experience.

You should go up to 180 gr bullets, either AccuBond ot Partition. These bullets will get the job done at any range or angle.

Regards,

JD338

Thanks for the input. I'll give the 180 AB a shot for my elk hunt. I think I became to reliant on the 150 as it shoot so well.

That's a fine rifle you have, and the .300 Weatherby is a great cartridge.

For elk, I would complement that fine combo by using AccuBond or Partitions of either 180 or 200 grain weight.

Sometimes an elk will decide to be _REAL_ tough and tenacious......and when that occurs, you want the biggest sledge-hammer ya got.

The heavier bullets will penetrate deeper, and create more trauma.

Lee Carkenord

I have seen many elk shot and have shot my share. I really like to shoot them with a 200+ grain. You surly like to nock them down fast. I dont know where you are hunting but out west I didnt want them to take a nother step. It just seems like they just want to go deeper in a hole or off the edge of a cliff. good luck on your hunt and give'em heck.....Ob1

I agree with JD338 and NOSLER the 180 gr. will make you happier. I am now hooked on Accubonds. I shot my first elk this season at 30 yards with an A/B at 3100 fps. It exited so I didn't find it but it held together just fine. It entered between the ribs on the near side and took out the far shoulder with no more meat damage than a .308 Win. would have done on a deer at 2700 fps. The large hole you saw was probably a matter of pure energy from that Weatherby. I've had the same results on deer with mine. The .300 Wby. is probably one of the finest elk calibers you can use to cover every possible hunting situation. As much as I love .338 and .375. The 180gr. AccuBond out of a .300 Wby. has more retained energy once you get past about 350/400 yards in most cases.
Good hunting and show us pictures if you can. :grin:

Well in fact my 2 year old son became sick and needed ear and throat surgery. I didn't have time to test any heavier loads. I went with my 150 AB's. I shot a nice 6x5 at 496 yards at last light of the second day. I have a Leupold 4.5X14 scope with B&C plex. I saw this bull across a meadow on a tree line. Being an ethical hunter I was trying for a head or neck shot. The bull was at 496 yards and slightly down hill. I put my 450 cross hair on the top of his head. The first shot hit his brow tine, he turned to walk away and looked back, again I put my 450 cross hair on the top of his head and pulled the trigger. The bull dropped in his tracks. The 150 AB hit him behind the ear, and passed through. I did alot of practicing this year between 300 and 450 yards. I'd rather be lucky than good. I still can't believe the accuracy I'm getting with the 150 AB's. That rifle and load accounted for 4 deer kills and 1 elk.

:evil: sorry, but someone has to say this.to take a head shot on any big game animal is a bad idea, to cripple an animal is way to easy, for a thing to happen. if you had a shoulder shot, this is where you should have placed your bullet.an elk is not a rockchuck or digger rat, a near miss is not a desirable outcome.if you had hit that bull, in the nose it could have run for the next week, before dying,through the top of the neck, same outcome, through the jaw, same outcome,a crippled lost animal. a shot through the chest with your rifle, the animal may have gone a few yds but not far.a head shot at twenty yds may be a good shot, but at 500yds it is a novice mistake. your first shot hitting a browtine proves my logic.ps;great luck getting a bull this year,i'm eating last years leftover elk, this winter.

What's wrong with a 180 at 3250 fps? or a 200 at 3050?

I would vote for the big 200g AB or Partition. Those bullets have .301 sectional densities and that means trouble for any elk at any distance at any angle. I have used the 200g AB out of my 300 RUM for a little while at 3100 or 3200fps and absolutely love this bullet. It is also extremely accurate and has a very nice BC. Has taken 4 elk and have not found a bullet, is leaving nice terminal performance at longer ranges as well.

Back