300 wby 165??

metallica

Beginner
Nov 17, 2006
Hello, I am wondering what you guys/girls think of loading a 165grn AccuBond as the all purpose bullet for hunting the mountains in BC?? (sheep, goat, black bear, elk, moose) Is it too small??

Also does anyone have any opinion on IMR 4831 or 7828?? whats a better powder for a 300 wby?? whats a good starting load for the 165??

thanks a lot

I think you would be better off served with a higher weight, higher BC and SD bullet. Seems like the logical thing to do in a 300 Weatherby. If it was my rifle, I would load up some 200g AB's, and at the minimum end 180g's. The bigger bullets may start out slower, but they catch up at 400 yards or so in velocity, not to mention they hit harder at all ranges, and drift less at all ranges in the wind. Dont get me wrong, the 165g is a good all around weight, but for cartridge like the 30-06, not the 300 weatherby mag. JMO.

Remington Mon be right, and for the reasons given.

IMHO: Using a light for caliber boolit in a High Velocity Magnum is neither productive or prudent.
Smitty of the North

good points, I was only thinking of switching because I have been having a problem shooting 180grn failsafe. more then once Ii have shot animals with the failsafe and had to hunt them down after being hit 2-3 times. I found that there was always a pin hole in and out and didnt do too much damage. But I didnt want to go to a 180 grn AB or Partition fearing a lot of meat damage........

But now thinking about it your probably right, a 180 should be the min grn for it..

thanks

That Failsafe has quite a reputation for limited expansion and serious penetration... I have no field experience with them at all though.

I've had good success with Nosler Partitions in various cartridges, including the .300 Win mag. Would recommend the 180 or 200 for a Weatherby mag.

Haven't tried the AccuBond yet - sure looks like a good one for expansion and penetration.

I think a fellow is just going to get a fair amount of bloodshot/ruined meat with any high-velocity rifle cartridge.

Regards, Guy

Don't want to start a pissing war but I use a 165 grain Partition in my .300WSM that comes out of my 24 inch barreled kimber at 3050fps. Dropped a nice 5X5 at 60 yards during first season colorado. A number of years ago I dropped another nice bull with a .300 winchester mag using 165 grain partitions. As far as the AccuBond in 165 from what I've read on other hunter's experiences the Partition holds together much better. A 180 AccuBond would be better I'm sure but a 165 grain partion works just fine because of it's ability to hold together and drive through. If you run a 165 grain Partition through a .300 weatherby and chronograph it I think you'll find that the velocity isn't that much different than a .300 WM. I have and found that the weatherby velocity is a bit overstated. my chrony is an Oehler 35P which I found to be very accurate.

well a pissing war is fine with me :wink: I would like to hear all sides. I spent all of yesturday reading all 33 pages of info on the reloading foum... I know this is the Nosler site but how would you guys rate the Swift Scirocco II against the AB ???

Also does anyone have the load data out of the latest Nosler reload manual?? What does nosler call the most accurate powder for the 180grn and how many grains..?? thanks guys

Scirocco's usually retain a little more weight then AB's. Not much to make a difference in price, IMO. I know of a couple rifles that didn't shoot scirocco's, I dont know any rifles or heard of any rifles not liking AB's. You should probly be able to get the 200g AB to 3000fps. That my friend is a deadly combo probly to as far as you'll ever want to shoot. It'll pack a punch both close and far, and will surely leave 2 holes both going in and out. Dont know anything about loads for the 300 Weatherby as I dont own one, maybe some others can help you out there.

metallica, Nosler lists the most accurate load for the 180 grain AccuBond out of the 300 weatherby for each powder as follows; 72 GRAINS OF 4350, 77 grains of RL19, 72 grains of 4831, 80 grains of RL22, 73.5 grains AA3100, 84.5 grains IMR7828, 85 grains H1000, 88 Grains H870. Data is the same as for the Ballistic Tip. Just remember, your gun may favor something different. My 300 loves 83.5 of 7828 with a Fed 215M primer. Hope this helps.

Thanks guys, I have been reloading for a few years now but really never went all the way with it and thought it was about time. thanks again

FWIW, I have had nothing but excellent performance from the ABs. I have shot deer, hogs, coyote, elk with ABs.

270WSM - 140AB
300RUM - developing loads, 180AB and 200AB
338 WM - 225AB

I even got my friends to switch to ABs. One has a 7mm Rem Mag and the other had a 300 Weatherby.

My .02 is to go with either the 180 or 200 AB.

Well I would just load 200 gr Nosler Partitions, zero the rifle spot on at 200 yards and then go shoot every thing sort of Cape Buffalo , Rhino and Elephant. I would go with RL-22 or 25. You should get to 3000 fps with out to much trouble. And you will not have any problems with either to much meat damage or no expansion. The 300 Weatherby and the 200 gr Nosler Partition go together like eggs with hash browns and ham. Just a little Tabasco. RL-22 is the Tabasco.

stick with the 180's on up . I have used BT's on blacktails and hogs over 250 lbs with little bloodshot if you hit them in the lungs( you dont eat the lungs, do you?). I have used tha 180 Partition in South Africa with only two recovered bullets, one from an impala and another from a warthog, both shot lenthwise. Kudu, gemsbok and waterbuck were all standing broadside 100% penetration. Stick with the heavier bullets. I have not tried the accubonds yet.

Back