338-378 For Long Range Hunting

CT.HNTR

Beginner
Feb 6, 2022
I have been taking a serious look at the 338-378 WBY as a longer-range big game cartridge (400-600 yds). The Weatherby factory load shooting the 225 grain Barnes TTSX shoots as fast and as flat as my 300 WBY but packs a lot more punch.

If anybody has experience hunting with this cartridge, I would appreciate feedback. Also what do you feel the effective ethical range is for this load for elk, bear and moose sized game?

Ballistically, a 338RUM is fairly close and it will get there with less powder, less blast, less recoil and can fit in a standard magnum action. Brass and ammo for the 338-378 is stupid expensive; if you know what I mean.

The 338RUM is worth a look.

As far as hunting range - the 338-378 should easily get you out to 1,000yds with a high BC bullet in an accurate rifle.

The 338-378 is just overpriced in every aspect. I love my big Wbys but never got an 338-378 instead I went with 338 Lapua.
Savage makes several models in 338 Lapua and make it reasonable getting into.
Brass , ammo , and rifle are nearly half the price.

The 338-378 is just overpriced in every aspect. I love my big Wbys but never got an 338-378 instead I went with 338 Lapua.
Savage makes several models in 338 Lapua and make it reasonable getting into.
Brass , ammo , and rifle are nearly half the price.
I wanted to go down the road of getting a 338-378. If anyone remembers the TRM (Threat Response Magnum) rifles they had about twenty years ago, that's the rifle I wanted. I went as far as getting my hands on 100pcs of brass and a set of Hornady dies to load with, from a company out of Valentine, NE called Lock Stock, & Barrel.

Though that rifle I wanted, it always seemed that none of the dealers in my area could get their hands on one, don't know if it ever hit the market. After seeing Weatherby remove it from their website, I gave up on getting one. Traded the dies, but still have the brass. That was the second time I watched a Weatherby rifle I wanted to disappear right before my eyes. First time it was the Super Varmint Master.

I wanted to go down the road of getting a 338-378. If anyone remembers the TRM (Threat Response Magnum) rifles they had about twenty years ago, that's the rifle I wanted. I went as far as getting my hands on 100pcs of brass and a set of Hornady dies to load with, from a company out of Valentine, NE called Lock Stock, & Barrel.

Though that rifle I wanted, it always seemed that none of the dealers in my area could get their hands on one, don't know if it ever hit the market. After seeing Weatherby remove it from their website, I gave up on getting one. Traded the dies, but still have the brass. That was the second time I watched a Weatherby rifle I wanted to disappear right before my eyes. First time it was the Super Varmint Master.
You were planning on 338-378?

It looks like B&C still makes the stocks:

You were planning on 338-378?

It looks like B&C still makes the stocks:
I was but that got tossed onto the back burner. Weatherby pulling the rifle from the market was part of the reason, the rest is that most ranges within a reasonable commute from where I live land in the 100-300yd spectrum. The only range outside of that group that I'm aware of is almost six hours from where I live. And any hunting within my stomping grounds a 300 Winnie can reach out and drop them in their tracks.

On that note I may look into the Bell & Carlson for my 300 Win Mag, the factory stock on it to me is nothing but a joke. When trying to shoot from a bipod mounted to the front lug, you can twist the foreend of that stock close to ten degrees.

If you want LR or ELR hunting rifle, get a heavy enough barrel for development and drop confirmation.
The capability is more about the indian than the arrow, when shooting on demand from a field rest, and understanding the variables with wind that is downrange that you cannot feel or measure

I was but that got tossed onto the back burner. Weatherby pulling the rifle from the market was part of the reason, the rest is that most ranges within a reasonable commute from where I live land in the 100-300yd spectrum. The only range outside of that group that I'm aware of is almost six hours from where I live. And any hunting within my stomping grounds a 300 Winnie can reach out and drop them in their tracks.

On that note I may look into the Bell & Carlson for my 300 Win Mag, the factory stock on it to me is nothing but a joke. When trying to shoot from a bipod mounted to the front lug, you can twist the foreend of that stock close to ten degrees.
Here is that stock on a 6.5-300 Accumark

Attachments

• IMG-20220216-WA0002.jpeg
    IMG-20220216-WA0002.jpeg
    616.8 KB · Views: 5
Back