HORNADY 375 RUGER

Since I’m not reloading for the time being I’m starting to stockpile factory ammo for the 375 Ruger and wanted to get some opinions.

As I’m moving to Alaska this summer I want to take some factory ammunition with me. Here’s what I’m thinking and I’d like to see if y’all concur.

9 Boxes 270 Grain Spire Point (non dangerous game hunting) for deer up to and including moose. Will also use for sheep and goats.

4 Boxes of 300 Grain Solids as a bear stopper.

4 Boxes of 300 Grain Expanding dangerous game ammo.

My thoughts on bear stopping is to use the solids. For bear hunting I’d use the 300 Grain expanding ammo followed by solids in the magazine.

This would all be Hornady factory ammunition since they seem to be the only major manufacturer of 375 Ruger ammunition. If the ammo doesn’t shoot in my gun I’ll look at taking up reloading again.

Basically I’m looking at one rifle for all big game in Alaska. Any thoughts?

Vince
I want to start with three factual statements which I think are important to understand the remainder of my remarks.
- I own a .375 Ruger, and I absolutely love it (mine is a Savage)
- I have never been to Alaska (except in my mind)
- I have never harvested any game with my .375 Ruger

Now, with that in mind, I'd like to offer my opinion. Unless you can really forge a justification for the 300 grain bullets, of any kind, I would focus on the 270 grain spire points. As has already been mentioned, keeping one round with one point of impact will pay dividends. Also, in research for a planned hunting trip to Alaska, I found this information published by the state: Alaska Fish and Game on Firearms. The short version is that they don't think any sort of magnum is required for hunting or defense. Now, that's them, if I was going, I would absolutely bring my .375.

Best wishes to you on your forthcoming move. May it bring you purpose, joy, and prosperity.

Since I’m not reloading for the time being I’m starting to stockpile factory ammo for the 375 Ruger and wanted to get some opinions.

As I’m moving to Alaska this summer I want to take some factory ammunition with me. Here’s what I’m thinking and I’d like to see if y’all concur.

9 Boxes 270 Grain Spire Point (non dangerous game hunting) for deer up to and including moose. Will also use for sheep and goats.

4 Boxes of 300 Grain Solids as a bear stopper.

4 Boxes of 300 Grain Expanding dangerous game ammo.

My thoughts on bear stopping is to use the solids. For bear hunting I’d use the 300 Grain expanding ammo followed by solids in the magazine.

This would all be Hornady factory ammunition since they seem to be the only major manufacturer of 375 Ruger ammunition. If the ammo doesn’t shoot in my gun I’ll look at taking up reloading again.

Basically I’m looking at one rifle for all big game in Alaska. Any thoughts?

Vince
The Hornady 270-300 grain factory ammo is available here in AK (in the MATSU Valley anyway), however not plentiful. I've seen Double Tap and Swift A-frame here just not in 375 Ruger, but if they can get those brands, then ordering what you want here is an option, but may take a while to arrive based on distributor availability. I moved here in 2020 at the height of COVID and was planning on driving thru Canada with ammo. Travel plans changed and I flew on AK Airlines with a Pelican case loaded with the alloted max of 50 pounds of premium ammo, selling the rest of my stockpile before departing. Like with traveling with weapons thru Canada, there are rules for ammo as well (both US and CA), so as others have mentioned, please do your homework. Any time I fly south I'll leave room in my checked bagage for ammo on the return flight.

What area are you moving to?

The Hornady 270-300 grain factory ammo is available here in AK (in the MATSU Valley anyway), however not plentiful. I've seen Double Tap and Swift A-frame here just not in 375 Ruger, but if they can get those brands, then ordering what you want here is an option, but may take a while to arrive based on distributor availability. I moved here in 2020 at the height of COVID and was planning on driving thru Canada with ammo. Travel plans changed and I flew on AK Airlines with a Pelican case loaded with the alloted max of 50 pounds of premium ammo, selling the rest of my stockpile before departing. Like with traveling with weapons thru Canada, there are rules for ammo as well (both US and CA), so as others have mentioned, please do your homework. Any time I fly south I'll leave room in my checked bagage for ammo on the return flight.

What area are you moving to?
Haven’t narrowed it down yet.
Thinking Anchorage for the first year.

Vince

Back