300 Weatherby advice

OldMan":2t4m1n6u said:
Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:00 pm Post subject: 300 Weatherby advice

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wally wrote;

I recently picked up a nice Model 70 Winlite in 300 Weatherby. I hope to start working up some loads for it after the first of the year. I'm thinking about using it on elk next fall. I am leaning towards 180 or 200 gr. Accubonds, but any good ideas on a 165 gr. would be seriously considered. I'm curious as to what powders have worked the best for you in this cartridge

Wally, I too have a model 70 in 300 wby. I have found it to reach pressures and velocities 2 grains below Noslers book. Mine has a plastic stock which makes it hard to get a good bedding job and can cause some real accuracy problems. Leave the front guard screw a little loose and anchor it with blue Loctite. My best load is 81 gr 7828ssc 200 AB @ 3050fps. This may be too hot for others so don't just jump in and use it!

OldMan

OldMan,
Thanks a bunch for the good pointers. I've dealt with a few Model 70's a while back, and after your post, I recall them being a little finicky about guard screw tension. I will keep this in mind.

I am lucky about one thing, this is the older Winlite model, probably a mid to late '80's vintage. It has one of the McMillan stocks that Winchester used to put on at the factory. The folks who ran this particular gun shop had no idea! :wink:

This will take bedding much better than the plastic stock to which you refer. I've tried bedding some of those myself, and some can be a little tricky about getting bedding to hold.

I will also follow your loading advice. I have no idea how the throat in this rifle compares to a Weatherby throat. I plan to approach from below!

Thanks again,

Steve

redrider03,

My Model 70 has a 24" barrel. It is also the push feed version. Some may consider this a bad thing, but I've always had really good luck with getting the later push feed versions to shoot, and they always seem to feed very smoothly out of the magazine.

Steve

Any more data on the bolt torque for the M70 winchester?? I have a Pre-64 264 and I have never taken the stock off because of the reputation they have of being finicky with the torque. I have a torque wrench, just need the specs.

CC.

Back