.300 Win. Mag. and 6.5x47 Predictions Please

.300winmag

Handloader
Oct 17, 2011
Hello all,

I always feel bad asking for quickload data, but I have received my new 1-9" twist Hart 28" barrel at my smiths along with my 6.5 1-8" twist 29" Hart at my smiths and have been doing computer models and research on these. I have narrowed my powder preferences on the .300 Win. Mag to the following:

H4831SC
H1000
Retumbo
Mag Pro

and narrowed my powders to to the 6.5x47 Lapua to:

H4350
IMR 4350
Varget

Both will have a finished barrel length of 28". The .300 Will have a minimum OAL of 3.600" with the 215 and 230 Berger Hybrids, Along with he 210 ALR; and then the 6.5 will have a minimum OAL of 2.800" with 140 and 130 Hybrid's and VLD's.

I have the new Berger reloading manual, but wish to compare it's values to real world/Quickload predictions in order to establish a solid load. Any help would be appreciated. In the .300 my research suggest Retumbo will be the best powder in terms of velocity (assuming accuracy and precision is adequate) and in the 6.5x47 H4350 is unbeatable.) I'd just lie to be confirming what I've read to be the case.

Take care all and soot strait!

Sincerely,

BB

With your bullet choice, I will stay with H4831 SC. Case capacity will be reduced drastically if you seat those bullet magazine length using H1000 or Retumbo. In short, you're going to run out of room. Not sure about Mag-pro since I have no experienced using it in any of my rifle.

As to the 6.5-47 Lapua, You can use either the IMR or Hodgdon 4350. I used both in my rifle and I can't discern any difference in accuracy. I prefer the Hodgdon because it is less sensitive to temperature change.

Good Luck and let see some groups.

I wished I could help, but my version of QL doesn't have the Hybrids in it.

Thanks fella's,

My smith is guessing he won't have the barrels chambered and headspaced for about a month so I've got some time, but I plan on having loads ready before I get the barrels back.

BB,

For the 6.5x47 definitely start with either H4350 or Varget. If you have to then Rel 15. I've also had great success with Rel 17 and the 140's.

Alan

Back