.300 Win Mag as a Military Sniper cartridge

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Thought some of you might enjoy taking a look at this interesting article in American Rifleman, discussing the latest changes to the .300 Win mag cartridge that our military is using. The bullet weight has been bumped up to 220 grains, and the overall length increased. Interesting process, as this isn't just some guy at his loading bench. This is the real deal, and in production. How it all worked, getting to this point, and why:

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articl ... 248-mod-1/

Having played a small role in the snipers world, I remain fascinated by it.

Regards, Guy

Before I retired last year our guys were running 300 Win Mags in an AR platform. Couldn't see the make on them cause they were painted but a few of my buddies mentioned they were incredible shooters. Back 10-13 years ago the ARs couldn't keep up in the accuracy department. Not so much the case anymore.

And that is pretty cool they are using H1000. It has become a favorite, not because of sheer speed but excellent accuracy and extreme consistency. It's the first one I look at for my 7mm Mashburn which is a 7mm based off of the 300 Win Mag.

Interesting. An "AR" in 300 win mag is a deadly combo! I wonder if Retumbo or RL26 could perhaps top H1000?

desertcj":1x93oquh said:
Interesting. An "AR" in 300 win mag is a deadly combo! I wonder if Retumbo or RL26 could perhaps top H1000?

Without a doubt speed wise, but I don't think either would best H1000 for absolute accuracy and consistency. It is really good stuff.

Good article. Thanks!
I think it's pretty interesting in their tests that RL19 and 22 showed less temperature sensitivity than IMR 4350 and 7828.

Dwh7271":1c1yh86o said:
Good article. Thanks!
I think it's pretty interesting in their tests that RL19 and 22 showed less temperature sensitivity than IMR 4350 and 7828.

Me too... it made me chuckle a little. Kinda goes against the grain of today's thought process.

I believe H-1000 was developed for 1000yd match and the 300 win mag thus the name 1000.

SJB358":1mnzsaxo said:
Dwh7271":1mnzsaxo said:
Good article. Thanks!

Me too... it made me chuckle a little. Kinda goes against the grain of today's thought process.

Sure does, makes me think that powder sensitivity is more related to cartridge/powder column/compression/ignition issues than the powder itself. As said, I got spooked off R19 in a compressed 338WM/185XLC load, but R19 was the "Ne Plus Ultra" in every 240W I ever had! R22 was just fine in several 300WMs in Namibias 100 deg daily temp swing, but got sticky bolt in 90 deg Texas in a 280AI for me! Yet, R22 in my old 224 TTH was "plumb Wunnerful"! ha. Every military rifleman/artilleyman knows the temp swings demands of combat, especially long range work/reliability issues. I'm continually learning new things....love it!

I shot my .300 Win mag. for 15+ years as my sole hunting rifle. I had other older rifles but the .300 just fit so well and shot so hard, so far, that It was the first one I picked up every time I left the house. I made my longest kills with that rifle on clearcuts for deer and out west for elk.
The rifle shoots 1/2 moa, sometimes under. And I'm just really attracted to accurate rifles.
And in all that time the only powder I shot seriously was IMR 4350. I shoot year round in the Southern heat and humidity and never had so much as a sticky bolt.
Now concerning RL22 and similar powders, I have never tried them. But I've heard and read of Temperature inconsistency, even though I don't know anybody who's experienced it. Most of the stuff I've read came off the internet. Could be true, probably isn't. Noway to tell.
But since I already had a powder I was happy with I decided to stick with it.
Even though my main rifle is now a .308 I remain a staunch proponent of the .300WM as it is just one of the more capable cartridges in that size group.

Can't beat H1000 in a win mag, will always have Thumper chambered in it. Can't see myself changing from my 215 Berger H1000 combo either.

Back