.300 win mag case capacity

Marshall

Beginner
Feb 27, 2017
does anyone know the case capacity difference in hornady vs nosler brass? looking to do some reloading using some nosler brass with 200gr accubonds and H1000. have been using hornady brass in the past with 208 amax. was thinking my charge weight for the amax would be a good place to start with the accubonds but didn't know how to adjust for different brass. read the accubonds like a jump so a .100" jump in my chamber would be at 2.800" to ogive. barrel is a 26" shilen. read a post on here where someone had great results using 77gr H1000 with 200gr accubonds but didn't state brass used. was thinking of using that in my hornady brass as ive been using 76.8 with the amax anyway but really wanted to use this nosler brass I have.

also while on the subject, who makes .300 win mag black hills match brass? have several of these too i could use. read it was Winchester then read again someone posted it was norma? how does case capacity on these compare to hornady and nosler?

300 Win Mag brass is all over the map. I can't really answer you in regards to which is which in capacity, but I'd take the lowest loads and start from there using the chrono as your guide. Nosler brass is pretty decent as well for the big 300. I recently got some RWS and it is also really good stuff, but I hear it is pretty thick too..

Not sure who makes BH's brass either, but again, that is quality brass. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Nosler had more case capacity than Remington, Winchester, Hornady and RWS, how much more I can't remember off the top of my head. For the 200gr AB and H1000, I'd start at 74.0grs and work up. That bullet has a really long bearing surface when tends to bring up pressures quite a bit, and with the jump it likes, you're jamming a lot of the bullet down into the case. H4831 works well with the 200gr AB in the win mag as well.

The Hornady I have weighs 265 grains and the Nosler I have weighs 211 grains. So basically the two ends of the spectrum. I have Black Hills from several lots and it is all over the place, mostly close to FC (~255 grains). With Hornady, begin with the start charge.

Back