.300 Win Mag, T/C Encore

Conley

Beginner
Jun 7, 2007
I have a serious problem with my T/C Encore handloaded with Nosler Accubonds. I was in Colorado on an Elk hunt. The barrel of course was cold, after my first shot i had a heck of a time getting the casing out of the chamber. Every round after that i had trouble getting in. I have no clue as to what might have caused this. I have shot many rounds from this gun with never a problem until i squeezed that trigger for the first time out there. :?

Dirt in the chamber. Differences in temperatures. If your loads fit in the chamber after you returned home, probably the temperature. How many times had the brass been fired? How close to the lands?Rick.

Good points Rick!
How many loadings on the cases you hunted with?
If more than one, you may need to bump the shoulder.

How close to the lands are you?

JD338

Common problem with the Encore. Factory rounds will load and extract with no problem. Reloads on fired brass tend to have a small bulge just in front of the belt. I have a very tight chamber on my 300 WinMag and have to make sure that I full size the brass as close to the belt as possible. If I don't the round will not chamber.

Extraction is also a problem due to the factory extractor spring not being strong enough to hold the extractor in the case groove on a tight case. I put 2 springs under my extractor and it solved the problem.

Mike Bellm has a fix for this problem and I am going to have him make it on my barrel. See the article in the attached link.

http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/index.php?cid=174

my COAL for my reloads are 3.330. however the rounds i shot out west were the fourth reloads. probably to many!!! and thats where the casings were getting caught right infront of the belt.

Alot of people knock it but you need it....go here and check out this die.

http://www.larrywillis.com/testimonials.html

I have one. A friend that I load several weatherbies for bought it for me because he has several guns that evidently have pretty loose chambers in that area. NO FACTORY MADE consumer die will size down the the belt. The reason they won't do it is sooner or later someone is going to start bumping against the belt and then your headspace goes to pot. So you have a well expanded shell casing and after many reloads the die leaves a bulge just above the belt. On my buddies 300 wby and 270 wby we get sticky problems after just one full tilt firing. If you are going to hunt with that gun you should probably use this die after every reload. Range shooting you could probably skip a few.
The die is high quality.....it works as advertised.....and it saves us our $1per shell weatherby brass so it paid for itself in about 90 reloaded shells!!

kraky":1g1xocaz said:
Alot of people knock it but you need it....go here and check out this die.

http://www.larrywillis.com/testimonials.html

I have one. A friend that I load several weatherbies for bought it for me because he has several guns that evidently have pretty loose chambers in that area. NO FACTORY MADE consumer die will size down the the belt. The reason they won't do it is sooner or later someone is going to start bumping against the belt and then your headspace goes to pot. So you have a well expanded shell casing and after many reloads the die leaves a bulge just above the belt. On my buddies 300 wby and 270 wby we get sticky problems after just one full tilt firing. If you are going to hunt with that gun you should probably use this die after every reload. Range shooting you could probably skip a few.
The die is high quality.....it works as advertised.....and it saves us our $1per shell weatherby brass so it paid for itself in about 90 reloaded shells!!

Yes, the die looks good. I tried to get on a waiting list, but Larry does not answer e-mails I guess or maybe he will later. I hope so.

Back