300 WIN

Ridge_Runner

As you demonstrated with the drops, most would never really notice. Extream long range shooting like you do could mean the difference between a hit or a miss!

I have had real good success with RL 22 in my 280 AI but I am going to be testing IMR4831 with the 140 gr AB. That powder has done well for me too.

JD338

I really like the 4831 powders in my 300 win mag. First choice is 180 gr partitions and Balistic tips or Speer Hot core. with IMR 4831 in the 70-73 gr range WORK UP SLOWLY. My gun has a long throat so what works for me might be too hot for you.

Second choice also for 180 gr bullets of nearly any brand H 4831 in the 71-74 gr range - again check with Hodgdon's recommendations.

NOTE IMR and H 4831 don't inter change. IMR is faster.

I haven't tried H4831 SC yet but it should be good. The Extreme non temp sensitive powders should be very good but I have't used up my old stuff yet.

I have used IMR 4350 but prefer IMR 4831.
I also found fabulous accuracy with 180 Balistic Tips and H450 - if you can find any of it around.

I use CCI, Win and F215 primers. I usually back off a 1.5 grains or so and work back up if changing primers.

I've load and shot 300 Win Mag quite a lot. It's my primary hunting round for all my hunting at one point. For 180 grain bullet, I use nothing but H1000. I've tried Reloader 22 once and it's a good powder for the 300 but again, just like others here that used them, I've experienced temperature sensitivity issue. That's when I switched to H1000.

DF

Have you used H1000 with 200 gr bullets in the 300 Win Mag?

JD338

JD338":3ilthdlm said:
DF

Have you used H1000 with 200 gr bullets in the 300 Win Mag?

JD338

Jim, I think I did once using 200 grain SMK. I have to look for my data.

Thanks for all the help guys, I got some RL22 and 7828 for 50% off so I am going to give those a try and probably get some H1000 as well.

Somebody was asking about pictures so here they are. This is my first controlled round feed action rifle and so far I like it a lot. I specifically bought the sporter because it had the 26" barrel. I put the S&K rings which I love make it look very clean. The only thing I haven't been that impressed with is the safety is pretty stiff but I am told that will loosen once you shoot it some and the trigger won't get down to the advertised 3lbs it is about 3.5 at the lowest setting but otherwise a pretty good feel to it. I am going to go out and do a little break in with the first 50 rounds and then get serious on working up loads for it.

http://img34.imageshack.us/i/041210011.jpg/

http://img27.imageshack.us/i/041210009.jpg/

This is the only way I can figure out how to post them just click and it should take you to them.

leg397,

You'll need to repost the picture. No image is showing on my computer.

Very nice rifle. I would trade my Ruger up for a Win M70 in a heartbeat if it didn't shoot as well as it does. Great set up, can't wait to hear how it shoots! Scotty

ldg397,

The new Winchesters are lovely rifles (I now own three of the newer ones). Each of them that I have shot shoot very well indeed. Your pictures show a very handsome rifle. I had no trouble setting the trigger on any of the FN manufactured Winchesters that I own. Each is set to three pounds. I just examined one of the newly manufactured Featherweights chambered in 300 Win Mag. It was a sweet handling rifle, to be sure.

Here are a couple of better pictures outside shows it off a little better.

I took the adjustable screw all the way out like the book says but my trigger gauge is still saying 3.5 to 3.75 lbs. I have no complaints about the rest of the trigger just the pull weight. I talked to winchester and they were very nice and offered to fix the trigger and smooth the safety no problem. I will probably wait until I finish a break in and then send it up there said it would only be a couple week turnaround.

http://img707.imageshack.us/i/011buy.jpg/

http://img91.imageshack.us/i/010be.jpg/

Back