300 wsm brass question

theddguide

Beginner
Jun 16, 2018
I've noticed when using my hand primer some of my brass is real tight sometimes hard to fit into the shell holder. Im wondering if this is because the primer pockets are too loose and have expanded enough to cause a tight fit? Other than that I have no idea what's causing this.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

What brand shell holders are you using?

I vaguely recall having this issue when I first got my 300WSM years ago, and I think I had a Hornady or Lee shell holder. I currently use an RCBS shell holder for my press and have no issues.

They're Lee brand. My sizing die is rcbs, which I've been wondering would make a difference in sizing more properly if I had rcbs shell holders. I've been using headspace comparator tool though to verify how much I size them. I've noticed also that when shooting every once in awhile I get a really hard bolt lift that I've wondered is from these possible expanded primer pockets causing more pressure on the bolt extractor. Gun is a model 70

It's Winchester brass that I was told was once fired. I've shot them probably 4-6 times each, haven't really kept track. For what it's worth it does seem that some primers just slip right in there with little effort. Im just wondering if my brass is done for or what.

I see a large trend in the number of people selling/buying used brass...

I for one, would be very leary of buying used brass from anyone, as there is no guarantee that they are not loading their brass beyond safe loads provided in the reloading guides or QL. See and hear way too many people bragging about their "hot" loads that are safe in their firearms...call me a skeptic, but...I'd rather be sure and pay the extra for new brass!
By the time you start to see signs of pressure on your brass or difficult bolt lift, you are typically well beyond 70,000 psi.
Yes, full length sizing and trimming would bring the cases back into the other specs needed to shoot in your firearm, but will not do anything for stretched primer pockets, or your web thickness, if my information is correct.
I had an issue with difficult bolt lift, even with mid range loads, in my 300 WSM after it was built. Turned out to be a headspace issue that had to be corrected.
I went with a new RCBS shell holder when I had the rifle built and bought dies. Have not had any problems, and have always used Winchester brass for it, whether new cases, or once fired cases from factory ammunition fired in my rifle, and neck sized. All of my hunting ammo is in new cases. Reloaded brass is used for target practice.(Have not had any issues with it).

I’d try some new brass. It’s not worth a brass failure to save 30 bucks. WW brass is usually very tough stuff, so chances are it’s been run pretty hard if primers are seating easily, within reason.

Blkram":3i9ixygs said:
I see a large trend in the number of people selling/buying used brass...

I for one, would be very leary of buying used brass from anyone, as there is no guarantee that they are not loading their brass beyond safe loads provided in the reloading guides or QL. See and hear way too many people bragging about their "hot" loads that are safe in their firearms...call me a skeptic, but...I'd rather be sure and pay the extra for new brass!
By the time you start to see signs of pressure on your brass or difficult bolt lift, you are typically well beyond 70,000 psi.
Yes, full length sizing and trimming would bring the cases back into the other specs needed to shoot in your firearm, but will not do anything for stretched primer pockets, or your web thickness, if my information is correct.
I had an issue with difficult bolt lift, even with mid range loads, in my 300 WSM after it was built. Turned out to be a headspace issue that had to be corrected.
I went with a new RCBS shell holder when I had the rifle built and bought dies. Have not had any problems, and have always used Winchester brass for it, whether new cases, or once fired cases from factory ammunition fired in my rifle, and neck sized. All of my hunting ammo is in new cases. Reloaded brass is used for target practice.(Have not had any issues with it).
Thats kinda what I'm leaning towards doing at least for this rifle is just go buy new brass then I will at least know it's new and if I have issues it'd be because my loads are too hot, which I do not believe so right now, or there's something wrong or outta spec with the rifle

"I was told was once fired. I've shot them probably 4-6 times each"

I get about 5 or 6 loadings from my .300WSM cases before I retire them so your brass life is in line with what I get. The WSM operates are pretty high pressure so the primer pockets are usually the first thing to go.

Looks like I'll be ordering new then and hopefully get better results

I had to order a rcbs shell holder. Neither new or used brass would fit in my lee shell holder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the RCBS shellholder for the RUMS and WSMS is a 36 or 40? Can’t remember off the top of my head.

Would the expanded webbing on some cases cause my hard bolt lift on my rifle?

theddguide":9otrqcxb said:

It could. If the web isn’t getting sized it’ll definitely drag.

theddguide":2j4qpnz0 said:

do they chamber easy ?

when I find a loose pocket seating primers , I'll color the head stamp with a sharpie , and write loose on the case . next cycle I throw them away .

jimbires":3vod5iye said:
theddguide":3vod5iye said:

do they chamber easy ?

when I find a loose pocket seating primers , I'll color the head stamp with a sharpie , and write loose on the case . next cycle I throw them away .
They generally go in and close easy. I've been trying to size them so they close with just a bit of tension. Like .002-.003 back on the shoulders.

My current load is 64g h4350 with 180 accubonds and cci 250s

I had worked up from 62g to 65g and got random stiffness like I described with every load if I remember correctly

So I just tried a couple rounds that I know are once fired and although the primers went in tight I'm getting a little stiffness when chambering and it appears im getting these streaks on approx half of the case, not all the way around and is even on a part of the shoulder. Is this a sign of my chamber being out of spec?
02c188756d4fd1163d8f06e51b9bfd20.jpg

I don’t think so.

If it’s chambering hard try sizing it a bit more. I can get away with .002-.003 on standard cases but the WSMs and RUMs are thick and sometimes take a bit extra for easy feeding and firing.

Those scratches might be from your sizing die, putting in the cases exactly the same way by lining up the head stamp for example would show that. Scotty is right in that the WSM cases often need to be resized to the max since they are so straight sided and have such a sharp shoulder.

gerry":oziyowb0 said:
Those scratches might be from your sizing die, putting in the cases exactly the same way by lining up the head stamp for example would show that. Scotty is right in that the WSM cases often need to be resized to the max since they are so straight sided and have such a sharp shoulder.
It was from chambering. They were clean going in. So sizing a bit more outta avoid this?

Back