300 WSM showing promise with 180 gr Accubond

tecumseh

Handloader
Oct 20, 2010
Went to the range to dial in the scope for the load I'm using in my 300 WSM for an upcoming hunt and decided to load up some 180 gr Accubonds with 66 gr of H4831SC and got it printing a ragged 1 3/4 group at 100 yards. That's the best those bullets have shot since trying them and the first time I loaded anything for it with H4831. I'm gonna mess with the seating depth and see if it improves any.

Up to this point the results have been less than mediocre with this bullet using IMR-4350 and 4831 and RL-22.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 664
I have not had significant success in any of the 300 WSMs I owned when attempting to shoot 180 grain ABs. Interestingly enough, 165/168 grain TSXs have all shot quite accurately for me in any of the rifles I've tested (well over thirty).

Same here. I am not sure why the AB's in both the 180's and 200's were obstinate in my 300. The PT's and about anything else shot well.

I'm glad to see it's not only me, I was shooting Federal premium with 180 gr PT when I first got this rifle and they shot great.That's the next bullet I'm going to try and work up a load for after hunting season ends.

I got rid of a great shooting and looking WSM because I couldn't make the 180's or 200 ABs shoot to my liking. It shot the PTs just fine though. I feel that pinch now and again! Ha.

I've had better results with the 180PT then with the 180AB in my BAR. The 165AB shot very well in my son's Savage 16 .
I do have a Savage Model 12 heavy barrel that shoots 180BT better then I can shoot.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

...hmmm, sounds pretty consistent w/ my experience w/ the 180gr. AB's, "2 near touching & a 'zinger'". "Zingers" were never consistent, POI of groups would shift, went thru a box, changing seating depth, powders, primers & still got "2 near touching & a 'zinger'"...

My 300 WSM shoots well with 180 AB's kissing the lands and a healthy charge of H4350 with WLR primers. YMMV.

Welcome to the forum, Gasman. We enjoy meeting new people, learning from their experience and sharing what information we may have accumulated. I believe you will find a good group of men and women posting here. Again, welcome aboard.

Thanks, DrMike. I recognize a lot of the screen names here from some other forums.

About that H4350 load, I shot a 10-round group with it today to verify final zero before an upcoming hunt. Except for a couple of flyers (my fault), it put the other 8 rounds into just under 1 1/8". I can live with that...

Gasman":10s937g7 said:
About that H4350 load, I shot a 10-round group with it today to verify final zero before an upcoming hunt. Except for a couple of flyers (my fault), it put the other 8 rounds into just under 1 1/8". I can live with that...

That sounds eminently adequate for about any hunt one could pursue. It'll do, and put a grin on the chin of most of us. Good stuff.

Back