300 yards, offhand

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Today at the range, 300 yards offhand (standing) with the .25-06 & 115 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips. 6x Leupold.

2/3 hits, 1/3 misses. It was pretty good for the first time at this challenge this year. Typically I do it more and more as the summer progresses.

Oh yeah, there's practice from kneeling, sitting and prone too - but the standing is the most fun.

Sorry, no photos. But yeah, it happened. Was working with a fellow headed for Namibia soon, with his 7mm Rem mag, Montana Rifle Company rifle & factory Nosler 160 gr ammo. Good stuff!

Regards, Guy

That is pretty doggone good, Guy. Definitely better than I can do anymore! I try to establish my maximums from various positions each year. It is definitely less than it was a few years back.

That's excellent Guy! How is that Montana Rifle Company rifle? They sure look like they put together a great product.

Good show Guy. I have always enjoyed shooting metallic silhouette and hitting the rams
at 500 meters (547 yards). Always made me grin when I knocked one off the rail.

JD338

Guy 2 out of 3 at 300 yards free hand is great shooting, I no longer attempt those shot as I carry my BogPod now when I go on my walkabouts :wink:.
The ranges here do not let you shoot off of anything but benches. But down at the farm is where I taught the boys how to free hand starting with 22s & gophers.
In the past I have shot a number of good bucks free hand running at over 200 yards but those days are gone. I still will shoot at them but with my rifle on the BogPod :wink:.

Blessings,
Dan

Thanks guys!

Silent Sam - yes, I wrapped my left arm in the "hasty sling" position for added stability. Just like I do when I'm hunting.

6mm Remington - the 7mm Rem mag MRC rifle was very nice! Good straight-grain walnut, strong black grain showing all the way from the buttstock up to the fore-end. Some kind of deep-looking, satin finish. Loved the fit of the stock! I think it fit me better than the fellow I was shooting with... :) Nice, cushy recoil pad too. Recoil was very modest with this rifle.

The metal was a dull black, very business like. Barrel wasn't a "bull" but a definite "magnum" contour, and he told me it was a full 26" long, which ought to bring out the best from that 7mm Rem mag.

I was delighted with how easily the bolt worked. It was terrific, one of the very nicest bolts I've ever used!

He complained that the safety was hard to manipulate, but he also has older, small hands. I dunno, it felt like a typical Model 70 safety to me.

Trigger was set too light for my liking, for a hunting rifle, at about 1.5 pounds. He likes it though. I keep my rifle triggers at about 3 pounds...

I didn't care for the Vortex scope - but he likes it.

The owner is not a handloader. He's trying different kinds of ammo. I was very impressed with the groups he was getting from the 160 gr Nosler Accubonds, in Nosler ammunition. A bit under MOA when he was shooting from a bench.

Nice rifle. I'd pop a 6x Leupold on there, add a good shooting sling, stock up on 160 gr Nosler Accubonds and hunt pretty much anything with it. Sorry, didn't take any photos of the rather nice looking rifle.

Guy

I really like to get off my belly and shoot from different positions. I have always concentrated on hitting those small targets from a prone supported position, so I didn't really realize that I sucked at pretty much every other position.

Good shooting, really makes me want to head out and practice some offhand shooting.

JD338":361xbzq1 said:
Good show Guy. I have always enjoyed shooting metallic silhouette and hitting the rams
at 500 meters (547 yards). Always made me grin when I knocked one off the rail.

JD338

They have those competitions here Jim and I sure would like to try it just for fun.

Guy the MRC rifles also have the old style Winchester triggers that are so very easy to adjust. I went to the factory and got a tour and talked to them about the rifles. Lots of folks think it's one of the best out there for simplicity.

David

Polaris":11ninpxt said:
Am I missing something? What were you shooting at?

Broad side of a barn. Farmer's going to be ticked... :mrgreen:

Naw, just one of my steel silhouettes. Older photo, from another range session:

It's almost 20" tall, 12" wide. Made of AR500 steel. Pock-marks are from a buddy who was hammering it with that military surplus green-tip 5.56 ammo at 50 yards... Sigh... Otherwise even the .375 H&H doesn't dent it.

I have two of these, and one smaller piece. The silhouettes are made by Precision Tactical, here in Wenatchee, WA.

I use it at closer ranges for handgun training, and at 300 & beyond for rifle, typically. Love ringing the steel! (y)

When I get to feeling like a real showoff at 300, I drop down to a smaller silhouette sometimes. That hasn't happened yet this year... :roll:

Guy

Way to go Guy. If you like this off hand stuff I concur with 6mm Remington that you should try Rifle High Power Silhouette. They will not let you use a Mag at my range and you will have to ditch the sling, but when you hit a Ram at 500 m off hand it is something special. Heck just watching the contrails from other competitors descending bullets through a spotter arcing down to the Rams is pretty cool.

Congratulations again. Do it some more :mrgreen:

Oh, I shoot "field positions" often. Used to compete in Hi-Power. Always liked position shooting much more than shooting from a bench.

No silhouette competitions here. I'll see if there are some closer than Missoula, which is a day's drive for me.

Regards, Guy

Guy Miner":10tfw5yj said:
Oh, I shoot "field positions" often. Used to compete in Hi-Power. Always liked position shooting much more than shooting from a bench.

No silhouette competitions here. I'll see if there are some closer than Missoula, which is a day's drive for me.

Regards, Guy
Why would you ever shoot from a field position when every range has those nice, solid benches to shoot tiny little groups to brag about :wink: . Nice shootin' guy. I've got a couple hockey pucks hanging on the cross rail of a fence post at 80 yards. Approximates the 10 ring on an SR right from my barn door with a 4x/.22. My best to date is 9/10. Still going for a clean.

There ya go! Before .22 ammo was so tough to find I used to spend a lot of time at 20/25 and 50 yards with my .22 rifles and some steel targets... So fun! And I'd shoot prone, sitting, kneeling & standing with "just" the .22 to practice marksmanship.

As the .22 supply has improved, I've gone back to that...

Guy

Guy, I spent many days in the pastures at the farm shooting gophers with my .22 cal from all types of positions. It was a great way to spend time & I believe it really helped my with my marksmanship.

Blessings,
Dan

Air guns have replaced the venerable .22 for my practice. No, they are not as consistently accurate as a .22, but a good air gun is very inexpensive to shoot and can be fired in town many places.

Small game, varmints, air-rifles... All that stuff helps with marksmanship!

Whitesheep - our gun club here in Wenatchee, WA has a very good youth program, and the club has bought a number of high quality air-rifles to support their competitive program. Good air rifles are expensive, but wow! So accurate! And the kids are doing well with them.

We'll be hosting the junior small-bore state match soon.

Guy

Back