.300WSM with 165Grain Accubonds

big rifle man

Handloader
Dec 21, 2005
Dr. Mike, need some expertise from you on the .300WSM. I've done a lot of loading for the various 180 grain bullets in this caliber but recently a hunting friend asked me to load up some 165 grain accubonds for his son's first mule deer hunt in colorado this fall. what combinations of powder/primers have you used to gain acceptable results? The rifle being used is a Browning A-Bolt.

I've had great success with large rifle primers and medium burn powders (RL19, IMR 4831, IMR 4350, H414, etc.). My "go to" load for testing a 165 grain bullet in the 300 WSM is WW case (or Norma), Barnes 168 grain TSX, F210M primers and 69.5 grains of IMR 4831. With no exceptions, this load has given me a good combination of accuracy and velocity in a large number of rifles. In a given rifle, I may get more accuracy with another load, or I may get better velocity with another load, but this load is dependable and consistent. Recently, in my own rifle, I've had good accuracy with WLRM primers, 165 grain PTs and 52.5 grains of IMR 8208 XBR. Other loads that have worked well for me are WLRM primers, 168 grain E-Tip and 65 grains of IMR 4350. I am shooting off the last of my 165 grain Fail Safe bullets using 64 grains of H380 and WLRM primers. This gives a good combination of velocity and accuracy.

To be quite honest, I don't shoot many bullets lighter than 180 grain in my own 300 WSM. Recently, I've been focusing on 200 grain bullets. They are the ticket for the big game I encounter. I get excellent accuracy and surprisingly good velocity with either the 200 grain Sierra GK or the 200 grain AB. I still have quite a number of 180 grain bullets loaded, and I've been working recently to develop a load using the 180 grain E-Tip. These efforts are showing good promise.

Thanx Doc, your info is exactly what I was looking for. He wants to shoot this weekend and I'll make up your recommended loads. I shoot nothing lighter than 180 grainers in my Kimber and the accuracy with IMR4831 is excellent. appreciate the info.

had a lot of ups and downs with my rem 700 but these are what works for me:

165 speer hotcor, H4350, win cases, win mag primer
165 barnes ttsx, H4350 and H414, win cases, win mag primer
165 nosler AccuBond, H414, win cases, win mag primer
165 nosler AccuBond, IMR4831, winc cases, win standard primer (most accurate)

BS

Teh 165 gr AB is an excellent choice. Let us know how she shoots.

JD338

Doc, got out early this morning with my friends son and shot the 165 grain AccuBond with IMR4831, IMR4350, and H4350, (five rounds of each). 69.5 grains of IMR4831 gave us less than inch groups at 100yards. The 4350 powders were almost as good. He is a relatively new shooter and with a little bit of coaching settled right in. The OAL is restricted by the length of the detachable magazine but in this case didn't seem to matter. I'm loading more rounds for him and will run them through my chronograph, but it sure seems like we've got a good combination.

Good job. It sounds as if your man has found a good load to use. That should work out to a mule deer for him this year.

big rifle man":gazxqrgr said:
Doc, got out early this morning with my friends son and shot the 165 grain AccuBond with IMR4831, IMR4350, and H4350, (five rounds of each). 69.5 grains of IMR4831 gave us less than inch groups at 100yards. The 4350 powders were almost as good. He is a relatively new shooter and with a little bit of coaching settled right in. The OAL is restricted by the length of the detachable magazine but in this case didn't seem to matter. I'm loading more rounds for him and will run them through my chronograph, but it sure seems like we've got a good combination.

that imr4831 load you have is the best one for my rifle as well.

Back