.307 Lev. Rev. experiment results

Greg Nolan

Handloader
Nov 25, 2004
Lowering my load of 2015 to 43 gr. the 160 gr. lever evolution bullets showed pressure signs and threw bullets all over the target. 9 in. group. I thought the scope got loose so I tried my Sierra 150 FP bullets at 44 grs. of 2015 and shot a 1.25 in group dead center at 100 yds. from my Win 94. I think the cannalure sets the bullets too far back from engaging the rifling??? I declared the experiment a failure. :(

Greg,

Try some 150 gr BT's and see how she shoots. You can always use your lever as a double, 1 in the pipe and 1 in the mag.

Regards,

JD338

I have a question if you guys don't mind answering.

Is it safe to load Spire Points into a 30-30? I loaded a 150 grain BTSP Hornady with a light powder charge and fear that I set the depth too far and the pressure will be too great. I set it to the max OAL for 30-30's, so the overall length is the same as the (probably much shorter) flat point bullets (while the BTSP is probably a longer bullet?).

No, I would not load spitzers in a tube feed rifle.

Round nose or flat points are just fine.

It only takes one time to have an accident.

Regards,

Have you guys looked at the latest issue of handloading? It has a cut away and how the bullets touch the cartridge in front of it. Makes you wonder. I have been shooting flat tip 450 Alaskans and now I am a little nervous. It makes for good reading.

Back