308 125gr Accubonds ??

Divernhunter

Handloader
Apr 1, 2009
Is Nosler even making these 125gr 308cal Accubonds? I have not found any. Maybe I do not know where to look. Nothing local, none at local Bass Pro, cabelas are not listed/backordered, Graf is out.

Any ideas. I have a 16" Encore pistol I think they would be good it. I am hoping they are better terminal results than the BT bullets of any weight than what I have experienced.

Given I cannot find them I am working up loads with 130gr Barnes TTSX.

Thanks for any help---Doug

What issues have you had with the BT's, on game?

I'm considering using my 308Win as my backup rifle for a hopeful Lope/Mule deer hunt this fall and the 308 125's would pretty much match the trajectory of the 7mm's I'm going to use as my primary.

Maybe we can work together on a joint seek & destroy mission.

Gunner46":2biby5fz said:
What issues have you had with the BT's, on game?

I'm considering using my 308Win as my backup rifle for a hopeful Lope/Mule deer hunt this fall and the 308 125's would pretty much match the trajectory of the 7mm's I'm going to use as my primary.

Maybe we can work together on a joint seek & destroy mission.

The .308 125gr BT in a .308win is a deer slayer. I use that combo and anything this side of 400 yards is DRT, as long as you do your part. There are quite a few posts about that particular combo. Lee

I too looked for 125 accubonds and never found any. I loaded up on 125 BT seconds and never looked back. However I would like to try some one day.Lee

They certainly made em for a while. I picked some up off shooters pro shop about a year ago. I sectioned one and it had a nice thick jacket from the ogive down and alot of "base". Maybe they are concentrating production on bigger sellers for now.
All that said I'd be interested in knowing about what problems you've had w/late model bts too. I wouldn't hesitate to use them on any medium game.

I bought a bunch for my kids to use in their 308's. He used a 125 BT on an antelope last year and it dropped without a twitch. Retained around 68-grs. The BT and AB fly to the same impact so we use the BT to practice.

OK There is what has happened SEVERAL times for my and 2 friends.
This has happened with 7mm mag and 140gr BT. It has happened with 30-06 and 150gr BT. It has happened with 25-06 and 100gr BT
A broadside shot no problems. Works great

We have shot animals walking away going UP a hill. Steep or gentle. Put one(in my case 2 on a pronghorn) into the back aimed to go into the chest. The bullet goes in an inch or so turns and goes forward then comes back out. This is true. It screws up the back straps and does not kill the animal. Sometimes it is hard to even tell if the animal was hit. We know this because we were able to kill the animal with shots to other places. In the case of my pronghorn the head after 5-6 tries. We found this out while skinning the animals. One of the deer was shot by another in the hunting party on the other side of the hill.

Using Partition bullets NEVER had this happen. Have since gone to only shooting PAR bullets. However in my Encore pistol in 308win I would like to use something lighter than 150gr PAR. Thus willing to try the 125gr AccuBond and see if results are better.

I have killed way too many animals to continue to have this happen or believe it is just a freak thing. It has happened too many times for me to continue to use them. This is not a made up wild story. So if you have never had a problem great just do not start to flame me.

That's crazy to hear. My buddies daughter killed a nice cow elk last year at about 50 yards with her .308 and a 125 gr. BT. It ran about 30 yards and died quickly. Certainly not my top pick as an elk bullet but broadside and close up range it proved very effective.

I did crop damage control for 15 years and have killed hundreds of white tail deer with BTs with many different calibers and have never experienced what Divernhunter reports. From my experience if you keep the IMPACT velocity under 2800 fps most BTs perform like most any cup and core bullet. They expand and penetrate really well. If IMPACT is between 2800 and 3000 fps they don't penetrate as much but will usually slip the core from the jacket but still kill well. If IMPACT is above 3000 fps it acts like a varmint bullet and just explodes on impact. I saw some 125 gr .308 Accubonds a while back but the place wanted a war pension for them. I have killed a great number of deer with the .308 125 BTs in rifles and pistols. Keep the IMPACT velocity under 2900 fps and put it in the front end of a deer from any angle even through the shoulders and it is bang flop. The only experience in shooting game with a AccuBond bullet is with the 130 gr out of a 264 Win mag with an average muzzle velocity of 3350 fps. It goes in and exits with a quarter size hole even as close as 30 yards through both shoulders of a deer and does the same to just under 500 yards so far. I have killed 20+, lost count, deer with this combo and all have been DRT.

I guess in some situations or angles it will always be tough to beat good old lead tipped bullets. If i had to throw a "guess" I'd say when the frontal area of a bullet is explosive it could certainly deflect a bullets travel path off something like backbone. I won't use ANY plastic tip bullet for brush hunting whitetail here in wisconsin where our shots are rarely over 50 yds for the same reason.
Many years ago Barnes came out w/a pretty awesome flat nose monster hollow point for 3030. My buddy had great luck with them and whitetail. For fun I made up a light "faux" 3006 load that mirrored 3030 speeds. My first deer was a wide open shot just behind the shoulders...somehow it hit a rib and exited the brisket w/o getting to the organs. Got it after some tracking but went right back to good old lead tipped bullets. All this said...you've learned what works and what doesn't. Go with it and maybe give credit to the bt/ab for being the wind cheaters they were designed to be?

I would suspect those of you that have used the BT bullets have done so on facing or broadside type shots. They worked for me also like that except when pushed fast and closer.
So I care little that you shot deer/bear/elk or elephant with them and they worked.
We have had trouble with them in the type of shot I explained in multiple cartridges and more than one species of game. That is why I will not use them. The PAR bullets work all the time. I was hoping the AccuBond would not do as the BT did. I wanted to use the 125gr 308cal bullet since it was in a pistol.
I may just see how the 130gr SP from Hornady works but I would have liked the bonded core.

Been looking for some of these bullets for awhile does anyone no where some can be bought that don't cost a war pension ?

Back