Fast (and accurate) 308 load

ReloadKy

Handloader
May 13, 2020
Was able to do some shooting recently. i have been trying to work up a 308 load with the 130gr Barnes TTSX. The rifle is a black Friday Cabela's special Savage axis 2 with a 22 inch barrel. Powder was a below max load of BL-C2. The top hole you see in the pic is a fouler. The bottom hole is 3 shots all on top of each other. Velocity is 3185 fps. I think that this will make a dynamite whitetail load.
IMG_4752.jpg

I’m also going to run the 130 grain ttsx in my .308 Win.
I was reading your initial post and I was thinking “this is just what I want to see“, all the while inside my head I’m saying “please be using Varget, please be using Varget”!
Then I read BL-C2….
needless to say I’m using Varget for my new loads, I’ve just got to find time and get out and shoot them

I've never used the TTSX version but shot the 130gr TSX with RL15 for several years in my 30.06 with excellent results in accuracy and on game. Only 1 deer ran after the shot and went maybe 20yds and dropped all the others fell in the scope when i pulled the trigger. Needless to say of all the deer i shot with that bullet i never recovered one as they all blew thru shoulder like butter. I gave my brother the rifle years ago and he's still using that same load today with the same results. Rest assured your TTSX load will get the job done quite well in the .308. Thats good velocity and good shooting too! Mike

I've been shooting the 130TTSX with Benchmark @ 3,130fps for a few years. That load pole axed a nice NC 8pt buck a few years back. Shot in the brisket while it walked in my direction, from about 200yds (IIRC), the deer looked like it was slammed to the ground. The buck never even twitched after it hit the dirt.

The load regularly shoots under 2" @ 400yds from a custom rifle.

BTW, Nosler offers the 30 cal 125 grain Ballistic Tip and AccuBond bullets. I worked up a load with the 125 Ballistic Tips for a new shooter and her lightweight 308 rifle. It was accurate, and took a fat whitetail buck down, penetrating both shoulder blades! I recovered the very flattened bullet from under the off-side hide. An alternative.

Guy

Last edited:
Guy I have some of the 125 gr Accubonds. I worked up a load using Varget and it they shot well. I did not chrono but I plan to revisit it here soon!!

Real easy to get the 125's/130's up to 3100 fps from a 308 Win. I started that project to get a light recoiling hunting load for a new shooter, a small-statured lady who was getting kind of beat up by using normal 165 grain hunting ammo. She shot the 125's great! I think that your Accubonds will likely out-perform the Ballistic Tips that I provided for her.

We tested the 130 gr Barnes TTSX from my 30-06 not long ago. Wow! Accuracy & speed. Nearly 3300 fps mv and tight groups!

Guy

Real easy to get the 125's/130's up to 3100 fps from a 308 Win. I started that project to get a light recoiling hunting load for a new shooter, a small-statured lady who was getting kind of beat up by using normal 165 grain hunting ammo. She shot the 125's great! I think that your Accubonds will likely out-perform the Ballistic Tips that I provided for her.

We tested the 130 gr Barnes TTSX from my 30-06 not long ago. Wow! Accuracy & speed. Nearly 3300 fps mv and tight groups!

Guy
Last year I ran the 150gr TTSX in my 30-06 at 3080fps. That bullet flatten a doe on the spot for me.
Back in the day Weatherby offered the 130gr TTSX in a factory load for the 30-378 , you can’t get much more magnum then that😁.
I would like to see my 416 Wby 350gr TTSX load in your ballistic gel. I’m only running a modest velocity of 2920fps , it just liquifies the chest cavity.
Again nice job on the video👍

BTW, Nosler offers the 30 cal 125 grain Ballistic Tip and AccuBond bullets. I worked up a load with the 125 Ballistic Tips for a new shooter and her lightweight 308 rifle. It was accurate, and took a fat whitetail buck down, penetrating both shoulder blades! I recovered the very flattened bullet from under the off-side hide. An alternative.

Guy
I have a very accurate load for my .308 using 150 gn. Nosler Accubonds,
my situation is that the restrictive state of NYistan is considering going lead free on its public lands, so I may need the ttsx’s.
otherwise I would just stay with the Accubonds which I love.

I have a very accurate load for my .308 using 150 gn. Nosler Accubonds,
my situation is that the restrictive state of NYistan is considering going lead free on its public lands, so I may need the ttsx’s.
otherwise I would just stay with the Accubonds which I love.

If there are any ideas floating around that will make life more difficult for shooters and hunters; NY will adopt them! I think the new background checks for ammo purchases start next week.

I've been using 125 grain Accubonds in a Model 7 .308 for the last few years. Works pretty good on deer and coyotes from what I can tell. Not screaming fast out of the short barrel but if they run they don't make it far.

Finally got to the range on Monday.
got all set for test my loads for the 130 ttsx’s.
now as I stated above, I’ve been shooting 150 gn accubonds and my rifle was sited in for them.
my scope is a 1.75-5 x 32 so looking down too 111 yds the target is kinda small.
i shoot my first round and then take a walk to check the paper target and there are only three holes in the six bullseye target.
it is at that moment that I realize my rounds are going to be a little bit higher with the 130’s than the 150’s….
the three holes were from the bottom bullseyes and the rounds were hitting 6-7” high.
I’ll go back maybe this week and start all over - hate wasting components and Fall is rapidly approaching.
it was nice to be at the range again. It’s been a busy summer and I haven’t had the chance to shoot much.

Back