308 cal 168 competition bullets

doeroller

Beginner
Jul 27, 2008
You read on alot of other forums of hunters using match bullets to hunt with. Sierra and Berger to name two. I have not seen Nosler bullets in their match form mentioned for use in hunting. Has anyone had any experience using Nosler match bullets to hunt with.

I don't have any experience with due to they are paper punching bullets. Nosler has stated on this forum several times, that the Custom Comp bullets were designed for target shooting (paper punchers). I also know Sierra states that the Match Kings are target bullets as well, and not designed for hunting.

Why use a target bullet when this very company, Nosler, makes the excellent Partition bullet? That being said, I could see using a target bullet of 308 cal on small creatures such as headshots on prarie dogs if one wanted to practice their "sniping" skills. The projectile size to target specie size ratio is favorable. With deer or other big game the ratio is not so favorably skewed. Think of it this way, if you got shot w/ a .22 you could very well survive, but if you took a hit from a 50 cal your survival is unlikely. This competition bullet you mention gives me honest to goodness 1 hole groups at 100 yds out of my Win. Model 70 featherweight. I would never use it on game. Why bother, it's not as if we don't have a choice of bullets that a lot of R&D went into for hunting performance.

In most of my rifles the BT's shoot better then the CC's....
Personally I wouldn't be afraid to try a 168gr CC on a deer. Of course I'd probably try it on a doe in a hayfield so I would have a good chance to see exactly how it would perform before I took them hunting monster bucks.

As far a P dogs go....CC's are deadly......they decorate the prarie very nicely, and the last coyote I shot with a 52gr cc dropped dead right there....

Don't most if not all of the manufacturers state that their match bullets are NOT intended for hunting?I know Speer does in their loading manual but am I missing something?

Berger actually says you can use there VLD as hunting bullet. There was an article in a gun rag in the last year about them killing a bunch of animals. They also will send you a free DVD if you ask. The only thing that worries me is every shot that I saw them take and read about them were on broadside game.

So I have a feeling that you should not be shooting them at different angles. They sound somewhat tempting though. I actually bought a bunch of 168 grains in 30 cal when I found some thinking I would use them for hunting. But I'm too chicken to shoot something withthem. I'm afriad of it not working or something.

Corey

I've taken 3 animals with match bullets. I was suprized. The first was with a 60gr Sierra out of my .223, coyote, quartering to at about 80 yards. hit him in front of the shoulder and a dime sized exit in front of the off-side ham. The second was a 52gr Sierra out of the same .223, loaded slow. I shot a Javelina at about 50 yards. Found the bullet against the off-side leg bone, it expanded well and held together well. The 3rd was a coyote at about 150 yards with the same loaded down 52gr Sierra. He had his head down and I hit him beween the shoulder blades, no exit wound.

Although I had 2 good experiences with them, I don't think I will do it anymore.

Just because something is made for one purpose, doesn't mean it won't also work for another....reports from the field on the 77gr Sierra match king indicate they are devistating on bad guys....Unlike the ss109 rounds they don't take the 2-3 hits of the standard rounds.....So it would probably work on a white tail.....

I killed 6 deer in NC last year with "Match" bullets. Actually they were all 162gr A-Max bullets. Terminal performance out to 470yds was outstanding. Most deer dropped to the shot. The farthest travel for a hit deer was about 25yds.

For whatever it's worth, Hornady DOES recommend their A-Max match bullet for hunting.

doeroller

Welcome to the forum.

The Nosler Match bullets are very accurate bullets designed for paper, not game. Although some do hunt big game with Match bullets, its not recommended.
The product line of game bullets are very accurate, even in hunting rifles.
Here are a few examples of the accuracy you can get from Nosler-

22-250 50 gr BT Varmint, factory M700 VLS
22-250Rem50grBT398.jpg

280 AI 120 gr BT, M700 w/ Hart Barrel
280AI120grBT.jpg

280 AI 160 gr AB, M700 w/ Hart barrel
280AI.jpg

338 RUM 250 gr PT, factory M700 LSS
338RUM250grPT.jpg

As you can see, accuracy is not an issue. Having said that, why not use a bullet that is designed for the intended game you plan on hunting?

JD338

JD,

It is always nice to see an accurate rifle and the results when it has been used effectively. Great pictures, and your point is well taken.

The new 168 grain Ballistic Tip is as accurate in my 308's as any match bullet I have ever tried...it has a good ballistic coefficient, which is reported to be .490...I'm betting its actually closer to .475 but I have not "done the math" on it yet, because I have not had time to chrono it at 800 yards...either way, its an accurate bullet that will perform well at long range.

Back