.308 Green Machine and Vortex at 300 yds

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Okay - now that the neck is healing up and I'm cleared for shooting rifles, I've hauled out the .308 Rem 700 Green Machine, with the new Vortex 6-24 PST.

Used the 168 gr Nosler custom comp bullet, 45 grains of Varget, Federal cases and Federal 210 match primers, as usual.

Today I finished up the 100 yard zero and took it out to 300 yards. Very nice. Just as accurate as ever, though my precision shooting skills are a bit rusty. Was good to get behind the Green Machine again. I used to shoot it a lot!

The rifle has been in use by me for about 20 years. During that time I've worn out several .308 Win barrels. Currently it's wearing a Krieger, 1:12 twist, with the 95 Palma chamber. Trigger is Remington, set at 3# - I did NOT want too light a trigger. This rifle was my primary rifle for a lot of years on the regional SWAT team. Action was trued, barrel installed, trigger tuned... And of course it's glass bedded into a fiberglass McMillan stock. Typically it is capable of roughly 1/2 MOA out to 600 yards. I've rarely pushed it beyond 600 yds. The rifle has also been used in matches, and for various types of hunting: rockchucks, coyotes, deer & bear.

Had to return the 4.5-14x Leupold to the Police Dept when I retired - go figure - but I replaced it with this Vortex. It's been... Interesting, getting used to the Vortex. Eye relief and eye box is much more critical. That said, the glass is clear, the adjustments are precise. So far, so good. Getting better at using it.

Sure was good to run through some .308 ammo yesterday and today!

Guy

Guy very happy to hear you've enough to shoot some maybe you'll get to do some late season hunting.

Glad to hear you finally got cleared.
Best wishes Guy.

Vince

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Guy I am sure glad that you are back with the 308win next your 375 H&H and then everything will be back in place!!
You are coming along well!

Blessings,
Dan

Glad to see you up and running! Nothing like taking an old friend to the range. I have one or two I need to visit with myself.

Scott

Guy that's a nice looking rifle, no doubt you two are a good team!

Have you gotten out to shoot the .25-06 or .30-06 rifles lately? Was going to go tomorrow morning but we got snow last night and are supposed to get more tomorrow.

I always enjoy your posts.

Thanks for sharing -

Dale

Thanks Dale - yes - I had the .25-06 out not long ago - introducing that particular rifle/cartridge to a fellow who is looking for something that kicks less than his .30-06, and could still be used for mule deer & elk.

My .25-06 was shooting just as well as always. He hadn't shot 300 yards, either ever, or in recent decades. He was amazed that he could just put the crosshairs on the steel gong at 300, hold steady and hit it time after time.

I'm not sure what he's going to choose for a rifle to replace his good old .30-06, but it will likely have a muzzle brake...

Most recent shooting I've been doing is with a shotgun for pheasant!

Snowed here too. Yahoo!

Guy

Back