308 Match loads

Jimbeaux82

Handloader
Jan 6, 2011
I know that Federal Gold Metal Match loads in 168 gr and 175 gr have long been the standard for consistently accurate loads in this caliber.

Does anyone know what might be considered the nearest equivalent load for each using the canister powders we have available?

I will be shooting this out of an 18" 1/10 barrel PA-10.

Any proven load data appreciated.

If I understand, you'd like a handload that matches the accuracy & velocity of the FGM ammo?

I needed to do that, to practice with essentially the same stuff as I was using for "duty" ammo in my SWAT rifle. Dept wouldn't buy much practice ammo.

Started with the same brass, once-fired Federal match brass, from the same chamber
Trimmed it all, slightly, just to uniform it
De-burred the flash holes - those little devils will amaze you with how much "stuff" is there, but I'm not sure it really makes much of a difference.
Federal 210 match primers
45 grains of Varget
Sierra 168 HPBT Matchking

That was as close as I could get. I also used RL-15, and it was just as good.

Using the fired brass from that rifle, I also just neck-sized it. This kept the expander ball out of the process, and allowed me to select how much neck pressure I needed. Also kept the brass really straight and the bullet seated straight.

HOWEVER - I found that a lot of different combos shot with about the same accuracy and velocity. I could substitute 168 gr Noslers, 165 gr Ballistic Tips, etc... And get pretty much the same results out to 400, or even 600 yards. Might have to tweak the elevation a tad out at 600 yards and more.

There ya go. "Proven" while hunting, and while placing well in various NRA and tactical matches. You should work up towards that 45 grain load of Varget, some rifles do better with a little less, say around 44 grains...

Guy

Thanks - exactly what I wanted.

Are you shooting thru a bolt or an AR?

Hopefully others will add to the choices

When I started working with my tactical I started with Varget, Federal Match cases, using the 168 CC and the 168 gr. MK. I worked up to 44.5 gr. and I achieved some great results with the numbers in the .2 and threes. However I thought I could do better and bought a 100 Lapua cases, with essentially the same results. Then still searching for the holly grail of loads I switched to RL-15 with virtually the same results. Then I switched to WW cases and the groups with the RL-15 and the 168 gr. CC and went from the .1 into the two's. With the small sampling of 168 gr. MK doing almost as good. I have not had the time or inclination to go any farther. So here is my most accurate load.

168 gr, Nosler CC
43.5 GR. RL-15
CCI Large rifle primer.
WW cases
AOL 2.785

I've been using a bolt action rifle for my .308 Win shooting.

Also, I've tried brass from Lapua and Winchester. Lapua was obviously very good. What surprised me was the bulk-pack Winchester brass. With a little prep, it was very good, and TOUGH. I hammered the heck out of that stuff with max loads for 600 yard competition and it just kept working...

Have you read this great article on loading the .308 Win?

Link: http://www.6mmbr.com/308Win.html

Regards, Guy

The 45grs Varget, 168gr, and F210M is amazing! Try 175gr with 41.8 IMR4064, F210M and great things will happen as well!

Jim
I don't have a crony, guy is a better guide than I for that. He also helped me early on when I got my .308. The article he referenced is a great one, also Gary Sciuchetti also published an extensive article in Handloader on loading for the .308

Here is an interesting comment from another forum.
"Is it very hard to roll a handload that equals, or beats, Federal Gold medal match? I don't think so.

Many folks have taken brand new Winchester, Remington or even Federal cases, uniformed their necks with an expander ball or Lyman M die, put in a good primer, loaded IMR4064 under Sierra 168, 175, 180, 190 or IMR4350 under 200 grain HPMK"s seated to touch the lands. They've shot as good as, sometimes better than, the best lots of Gold Medal Match ammo. Same for IMR4895 or Varget loaded in decent cases over good primers under Sierra 155-gr. Palma bullets.'

I'm getting some very good results with my Rem 700P LTR and the following loads ......

Nosler 168gr CC
Lapua brass
CCI 200
Varget - 44grs

Nosler 168gr CC
Lapua brass
Fed 210
RL15 - 41grs

Great info - thanks

Guy - good article

I have been reloading 308 hunting for about 5 years now primarily for a Tikka T-3 and have a couple pretty good loads, just never played much with the 168 or 175 gr HPBT loads that most shoot in AR-10 type rifles. I have a PSA PA-10 with a few issues I am working out. After I get it running I will get to working on these load suggestions.

44.5 was my goto load until the powder shortage. Its now 44 grains of varget.
russ.

Elkman":3147czfi said:
Jim
The article he referenced is a great one, also Gary Sciuchetti also published an extensive article in Handloader on loading for the .308

By chance would you know which issue of Handloader the article was published in?

Heavy Barrel, welcome aboard. Trust we'll see more of your posts shortly. Always pleased to see new people posting and joining in the fun.

168gn SMK and 44gn W-748 or the 175gn SMK and 45gn W-748, both with Win brass, Win large rifle primer, and both half MOA @ 600 yards shooting off a bipod.

Back