.308 Norma Magnum Knowledge

trays7940

Beginner
Feb 21, 2006
I am interested in a .308 Norma Magnum and, as in most rifle stories, have heard different things about it. I was wondering if anyone had used this caliber rifle and could give me some knowledge about the rifle. Is it too big for deer? Is it a good all around rifle caliber? Does it destroy too much meat? Is it just a "big" game rifle? Heck, I was told it was a great sniper round...
I was wondering because, it seems to have the same ballistics as the 300 win mag and if any of the above is true, then how can the win mag be so popular?

I don't own a 308Norma (yet) but I want one really bad, and have done a ton of homework on the cartridge. It is basically about 105% of the 300WinMag, so whatever the WinMag will do, the Norma will do just as well or slightly better. It can be used for white-tails, just like the WinMag, as well as the 300Wby, can, and are, frequently used in that capacity. Is it capable of big game? Certainly, up to and including the great bears, though I'd personally feel better with a 340Wby or 358Norma if I were after big browns. Now, that's all the good parts. The bad? Brass is not cheap (about $1.25 per piece), and recoil is going to be a step up from the 270/30-06 class of cartridges. If you can find a good one, or have a nice one built, I'd say go for it. I will one day, when I get down to that part of my 'gun list.'

The 308 norma mag basically the same as the 300. win mag and the wildcat 30-338, what one will do so will the other. I would pick the the 300 win. mag , or the 300 bee, there's a great selection of rifles and reloading components are cheaper, (brass).

trays - have you shot a .300 Win mag?

Extremely popular as an all-around "western" hunting cartridge because it's got the oomph to deal with elk and bear, but isn't ridiculously over powered for deer. The .300 Win mag is the most popular of the various .30 cal magnums, and does a great job.

The .308 Norma you're discussing is a great old round, but its time has really come and gone. It was modestly popular 30 - 40 years ago, but the .300 Win mag completely dominates that market now. I still see a .308 Norma, or the very similar .30-338, show up on firing lines at long-range matches from time to time, but not often.

It's just so much easier to get brass and loaded ammo for the .300 Win mag, I don't know why one would choose the .308 Norma these days - except to have something a bit different. If that's what you want though - something different from the .300 mag every other hunter out here has in his pickup - then by all means satisfy your desire to build one! It will surely do the job, just as well.

Regards, Guy

Another plus for the 300 win mag. it will be a lot easier to sell should you decide to.

HAHAHA...Well, you guys figured me out to quickly. :wink:

I have shot the 300 win mag...and liked it, but Iam looking for something that is not in the back of everyone's truck. I like different.

I have been looking at the 300 rum, but at the gun show last week, I found the brass to be over a $1.25 each and a box of 20 rounds was $76.00...Thats a lot, where I come from. Not much practicing gonna be going on with that round.

I think I will go with the 308 Norma Mag. The initial investment will be higher, but I think it will do everything I want it to do and I think I will be able to get some good range time with it.

However, knowledge is good, please keep sending your comments and ideas. I really enjoy this web site and this forum. :)

trays7940":1n0zmsuc said:
I am interested in a .308 Norma Magnum and, as in most rifle stories, have heard different things about it. I was wondering if anyone had used this caliber rifle and could give me some knowledge about the rifle. Is it too big for deer? Is it a good all around rifle caliber? Does it destroy too much meat? Is it just a "big" game rifle? Heck, I was told it was a great sniper round...
I was wondering because, it seems to have the same ballistics as the 300 win mag and if any of the above is true, then how can the win mag be so popular?

I have worked with quite a bit. It is identical to the 300 winnie.

I agree with the others, not much difference between the 3080 Norma Mag and the 300 Win Mag. If you want something different, the 308 NM should fir the bill. If you want more horsepower and something different, go with a 30-378 Wby.

JD338

I have been using a 308 Norma for 35 yrs.? The difference between the Norma and the Winne is the shorter neck on the Winne. With the heavy bullets it cuts down on the amount of powder you can stuff in the case. I use my for Bear(still looking) and Deer and Groundhogs. Works real well on Deer, this year I shot a Doe at 133 yds., and a Buck at 263 yds..
No questions on being dead. Accuracy for Groundhogs at the longer ranges is super, works real well for what ever task I give it. It's my favorite. Now the brass is $$$, case life is good, with a 26 1/2 " barrel with the Sierra 165 Game king hpbt, velocity is 3250. Better than a 300, not really, would I trade mine for a 300, NEVER.

Back