308 Win, 165 Nosler Partition & Varget

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Don't be telling me that this good old bullet design won't shoot... :) Was nice to get out with the good old Green Machine for some practice this morning. I haven't been shooting it much the past few years.

yZ9VlE5l.jpg

jNso73al.jpg

Feeling pretty good about that. Regards, Guy

Will have to give that a try. I’d be happy with that.
How are the Ballistic Tips doing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rednek rampager":170lpal1 said:
Looks good to me. What scope is that on your rifle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The scope is a 6x "Super Sniper" from SWFA.

This was my SWAT rifle for 12 years. I owned the rifle, the department bought a decent 4.5-14x Leupold for me to use. Funny, when I turned the scope over to the Captain upon my retirement, I was the only person in the PD who remembered that the Leupold was theirs, not mine. :grin:

Then, not wanting to spend a lot of cash for a replacement scope, I took the advice of Scotty Beretz here and bought one of the $300 fixed power SWFA scopes. It has truly impressed me in the few years I've had it.

Guy

Alderman":24b0tz1s said:
Will have to give that a try. I’d be happy with that.
How are the Ballistic Tips doing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah... I tried some 125 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips today... :grin: Details later, but my goodness. They shoot really well.

Regards, Guy

Wait till you hit something with the 125. My daughter hit a doe and she dropped in her tracks.

Varget? What’s Varget? :grin:
Mid weight bullets and Varget always shot good in my 308’s , now to find some.

Guy Miner":135qdh7u said:
Rednek rampager":135qdh7u said:
Looks good to me. What scope is that on your rifle?

The scope is a 6x "Super Sniper" from SWFA.

This was my SWAT rifle for 12 years. I owned the rifle, the department bought a decent 4.5-14x Leupold for me to use. Funny, when I turned the scope over to the Captain upon my retirement, I was the only person in the PD who remembered that the Leupold was theirs, not mine. :grin:

Then, not wanting to spend a lot of cash for a replacement scope, I took the advice of Scotty Beretz here and bought one of the $300 fixed power SWFA scopes. It has truly impressed me in the few years I've had it.

Guy
SWFA scopes are built like a tank. I like them quite a bit. When the mrs & I moved back to Texas I worked at a hospital not far from their shop/store.

I have Leupold 4-12 on my as is .270 and it’s a great piece of glass as well.

The 125 gn Nosler BT bullet is no joke. Everything I zapped it with out of my.308 Mauser dropped in its tracks. Come to think of it I used Varget and the Winchester LR primers with that load too.

.308 is a fantastic cartridge that punches well above its weight - class. Good shooting.

Looking good Guy, as always.
It's a rock steady performer.

JD338

5shot":8i6e4es3 said:
Wait till you hit something with the 125. My daughter hit a doe and she dropped in her tracks.

I started using this load about 10 years ago when I mentored a young lady who was new to rifles and hunting. My usual 165 gr loads were knocking her about a bit, so I thought I'd give the 125 Nosler Ballistic Tip a try. My goodness! :)

I was with her when she shot a fat whitetail buck through both shoulder blades at about 120 yards. Dropped him instantly. I was indeed impressed. :)

Guy

RL338":fmpg4tzc said:
Varget? What’s Varget? :grin:
Mid weight bullets and Varget always shot good in my 308’s , now to find some.

I decided to not post a photo of my 17 pounds of Varget currently on hand. :grin:

Am good to go re Varget. Same with H4350, except I have more.

However I eagerly await PRIMERS like most of us do. I can shoot for years with what I've got but I'm worried because I haven't seen any primers on the shelves in months. :(

Guy

Ive used the 150gr Partition in my 308 Win’s for years. I have 2 right now and both will put them into 1/2 to 3/4” without much effort. They have been very accurate, well mannered, and loads tune easily. Now there’s the possibility that I happened to get hold of all the accurate Partitions Nosler produced through the years……….but I doubt it. Where there’s smoke there’s fire. If it quacks like a duck then you have a Grade A duck, and if it shoots small groups you have a quality bullet produced with tight QC tolerances.

Yepper Guy, the Partition is a really good bullet. Hard to come up with a more reliable design.

I got some 150's in 30 caliber but I hate to shoot them. Saving them for apocalypse zombies maybe. :mrgreen:

Nice shooting. Good to see others using them cheap scopes and liking them.

That 308 definitely has been famous around here.

SJB358":39r0fdsy said:
Nice shooting. Good to see others using them cheap scopes and liking them.

That 308 definitely has been famous around here.

Scotty, you're the one who convinced me to try the 6x SWFA scope. THANKS! (y)

A good scope, and for $300, it's amazing!

Guy

Guy Miner":20yruwpq said:
5shot":20yruwpq said:

I started using this load about 10 years ago when I mentored a young lady who was new to rifles and hunting. My usual 165 gr loads were knocking her about a bit, so I thought I'd give the 125 Nosler Ballistic Tip a try. My goodness! :)

I was with her when she shot a fat whitetail buck through both shoulder blades at about 120 yards. Dropped him instantly. I was indeed impressed. :)

Guy

I've killed quite a few deer here in NC with the 125gr BT from the .308 as well as the 30.06. It is no doubt one tough little bullet and an excellent deer killer.!

Back