.323 Hornady Interlock 195gr

chet

Handloader
Mar 10, 2006
Just wondering if anybody has tried these?
I think terminal performance would be great @ 2900fps MV .....
BC is .410

I have some, but haven't bothered loading them as I get such great performance out of my 200 grain Nosler Partitions in my 325 WSM. Undoubtedly, I will load some up one day, but for the moment I don't feel much pressure.

Dr Mike, Chet

I am thinking and that usually gets me in trouble. Why would one buy a 323 caliber rifle and then shoot light for caliber bullets in it? I would think that a 225 would be the choice. Otherwise ballistically there is no advantage, over say a 300 SM or similar.

While we are on that one, why are many of the newer cartridges are loaded with a max pressure of 63,000 for example, and a 8mm Rem mag is loaded at 52,000 its essentially chambered in the same rifle?

I wonder about this stuff while reading loading manuals and hunting regulations on the treadmill, which is where I am headed now!!!!!!

Elkman, That treadmill is bad for your health! Turn it off and go get a beer out of the fridge :lol:

Bullets for the 323 range from 150 - 220 grains
I believe the 150 and 170 grain slugs are designed for the 8x57, and the 220 is more for a 8mm RM.
I also believe that Nosler released the 200 grain AB and PT with the 325wsm in mind.
I agree that 180-200 grain bullets from a 325wsm wont do anything that a 300WM in the same weight class wont do.
But....... my 8400 325 is lighter than my M70 300, also a shorter action, and hopefully a little less recoil.
So there are other advantages, but a Moose aint gonna care which one I'm packin!!!!!
Also, I really liked the thought of a 220 grain slug for this gun. Winchester advertises a MV of 2840 with their 220gr super X powerpoint load.......... But I'm told it's closer to 2600.... the problem with the heavier bullet is it takes up case volume..... and apparently that is WAY important to the wsm family..... So it seems as if a 200 grainer is the "go to" weight for the short-fat 323 8)

Anyways...... I've narrowed my search to 3 different 200 grain pills:
Partition
speer
and
hornady (195)
All have similar BC's

I know what the partitions will do, and I'm quite familiar with the Speer design in 308cal
I was actually hoping someone would tell me that the Hornady sucks so I can scratch that one off my list :lol:
making my decision of which one to try first a little easier :mrgreen:

I and my son bought Kimber Montana's in 325 WSM last year - I immediately tried WW 200 AccuBond factory loads and they would shoot to 1 1/2" at best - I tried Accubonds and Speer HotCor 200's and did no better (I have 2 pages of data if you need any) Tried 220 Sierra SBT's and had 3/4" 3 & 4 shot groups right out of the blocks - Both rifles shoot the same loads with equal results and no signs of pressure ... 2800 - 2840 fps - I killed a moose in BC and it worked quite well - nice light, smooth working rifle & surprisingly pleasant recoil - The third on our moose trip has an ABolt composite stalker and it shoots the factory 200 AccuBond loads sub MOA - hope this helps some

If I could get an honest 2800 MV out of the 220 sierras I think that would definetly be the ticket!!!!! I'm guessing a longer throat would really make a big difference in this case, leaving more room for powder....

Anybody know where I can buy a box of 220 winchester powerpoints? Do they only sell them as loaded ammo?

Chet, I think 2800 out of the 220's should be a real possibility in your rifle. I think with some decent powders in the RL17-4350 range you should be able to get what you want. On the flip side, the 200gr PT will do everything the others will and you know they will work, everytime and I would think you could close in on 3K with them. Good luck with it, that 325WSM is a cool cartridge. Scotty

chet says
I know what the partitions will do, and I'm quite familiar with the Speer design in 308cal
I was actually hoping someone would tell me that the Hornady sucks so I can scratch that one off my list

I kind of think backwards, my thoughts would be that "I believe that the PT is about the best game bullet available, it has worked for me and others that I know successfully on a large number of big game over the last 50 years". It isn't that the Hornady sucks, its that for me the PT is hands down better because of my experience in the field, I don't have to test because I am very happy with what I already have.

Thanks for your thoughts on the light for caliber discussion I understand the reasoning behind your choices.

Thats really a good price on the Woodleigh I understand they are also a great hunting bullet. I use the A Frame in my Whelen, if I ever use them up I will switch to the PT.

Bill,

Your point is well taken. Anyone who has a 300 WM, a 300 WSM or a 338 WM, really has no need for a 325 WSM. On the other hand, it is a fun cartridge that expands opportunities to shoot.

FWIW, 2800 seems to be the real world average for 200 grain bullets in the 325 WSM, and 2600 to 2700 an average for the 220 grain bullets. A hand loader may squeeze a few fps out of his rifle with a particular bullet/powder combination, but the velocities are right in line with what you would get out of a 300 WSM shooting 200 or 220 grain bullets. Having said all that, I can say with a great degree of confidence that it is a great cartridge for smacking moose and elk.

mike

Far be it for me to question anyones "need", like many of us here I have far more than I need, and as I pointed out, I have many philosophical discussions with my self regardig that subject. No I was wondering why one would buy a larger diam cartridge and then load the lighter than caliber it in. Chet explained the ins and outs.

But!!! I still am wondering why the trememdous disparity between the SAAMI pressure figures when using the same rifle but different caliber. Long ago as you know Winchester pumped up the 270 pressures so as to be compete with the 06 and I assume for sales. But even to day with the same case and same rifles the data for the 06 shows less pressure. Same with some of the newer cartridges that are now being loaded to 63,000. Regardless of the powder used 63,000 is still 63,000, so why can't other cartridges using the same rifle be loaded as such? I know that some case designs may take more but certainly not all of them!!

Bill,

Once adopted, SAAMI specifications are apparently fixed (at least until someone adopts +P specs). Sometimes, the adoption of pressure limits is to avoid trouble with older, weaker actions. Certainly, the newer cartridges coming online will be capable of handling higher pressures. Also, I note that the figures you cite mix units. The SAAMI pressure limit for the 8mm RM is 54,000 CUP (52,000 CUP for the 7mm RM), either of which are near the pressure limits of the newer WSM cartridges.

Dr. Mike is right on the money regarding the pressure question. If I'm not wrong, I believe the 8mmRemMag has a pressure limit if about 63-65kpsi, or 54k CUP. The CUP (copper units of pressure) is an older system of measuring pressure. Most load manuals will describe it if you're curious.

As for the .323cal bullets, I think all of Nosler's offerings predate the 325WSM, but are useful in it no doubt. I can attest to the 8x57 being able to take advantage of both 180gr and 200gr bullets in modern actions. I have a Remington 700 Classic in 8x57 that gives 2700+ with the 180gr BT. I have been told by another handloader with the same rifle that 200gr bullets will give 2600+ very reliably from these. While that's not magnum velocity, it does run with the -06 for both bullet weights.

I'd like to get a 325WSM at some point, if only because I find them interesting. I'd also like an 8mmRemMag, just to have the set.

I have loaded these in a 7.92X57mm mauser and got excellent accuracy. Can't speak for their performance on game, but they do expand on water jugs. I'm guessing they would be a great deer bullet at higher velocities and suitable for bigger game in the 7.92X57mm. If you're after elk or moose, you may want heavier/stronger bullets. I've used interlocks on deer with some tough shot angles and never been disappointed. The price is right too.

dubyam said:
As for the .323cal bullets, I think all of Nosler's offerings predate the 325WSM, but are useful in it no doubt.
I think that is true for the PT, but the BT went through a change before the 325WSM came out. The .323 BT was 200 grains at one time. I think I still have some somewhere. But it was reduced to 180 grains and beefed up. I assumed they did that for Winchester. So now the 180 grain BT is listed for anything up to thin-skinned dangerous game on Winchester's site. That's right, a BT for use on elk and dangerous game.

So that BT is a different animal and it is not really made for the 8mm Mauser and whitetails.

I have seen 8mm mauser bullets down to around 125 grains and it shoots similar bullet weights as the 30-06. American ammo manufactures tend to stick around 170 grains for whiteails, but it does do well with larger bullets.

The .323's are just like the 30 cal. You have the mags and the non-mags and it is hard to find a bullet the works well in both.

You're right on the money, Timberline. The 180gr .323cal BT is rated for "up to" elk and thin skinned dangerous game (Mountain Lions, I assume?). Back before the AccuBond came around, all of the BT's in calibers larger than .308cal were rated for this same range of game. When the AccuBond came around, the BT's went away in almost all the larger diameters. I spoke with Nosler about this bullet before choosing it for my 8x57, and was told it was perfectly suitable for deer and elk out of that rifle, with the expected mv in the 2600-2750fps range (my estimate prior to loading them). I was even told that 2500-2600fps from the 200gr AccuBond or Partition would drop white-tails with authority, and be plenty for elk, out of that gun. Additionally, I was advised that at the lower velocities of the 8x57, the 180gr BT was as good as the 200gr AccuBond for elk, but if velocities were higher, the edge would go to the AccuBond every time.

The .323cal stuff is very similar to the .308cal stuff, for sure, and just about anything from 150-200gr will do the job on deer. Move up to elk and, much like the 308cal stuff, you need the heavier end of the spectrum. I'm sticking with the 180gr BT as it's a good shooter for me and will work if I get to go out west and want to hunt with this gun.

dubyam":38i4tm7s said:
The 180gr .323cal BT is rated for "up to" elk and thin skinned dangerous game (Mountain Lions, I assume?).

Surprisingly, Winchester is referring to African game (Lion/leopard).

dubyam":38i4tm7s said:
Additionally, I was advised that at the lower velocities of the 8x57, the 180gr BT was as good as the 200gr AccuBond for elk, but if velocities were higher, the edge would go to the AccuBond every time.

I was wondering about that. Thanks for the info. The BT would make an interesting elk load in that case.

Back