325 Winchster aka 8mm WSM

su35

Beginner
Sep 28, 2004
So what are your thoughts on Winchesters latest offering in the WSM line?
I have to get use to the idea of an 8mm, never liked it.
The 220 grain load at a little over 2,800 fps seems to me to be the best load for what I would use it for. Maybe a rifle with a 21" or 22" barrel" would be best for this round.

Where did you here that this was a new caliber for Winchester. I think this would be super as it may encourage bullet companies to make a few more 8mm bullets.

teach34":2bge7dr0 said:
Where did you here that this was a new caliber for Winchester. I think this would be super as it may encourage bullet companies to make a few more 8mm bullets.

see: http://www.westernhunter.com/Pages/Vol0 ... 25wsm.html

325wsm.jpg

Text from that link:

When Winchester introduced the 300 Winchester Short Magnum cartridge in 2000, shooters and hunters quickly began debating which calibers would be added to the line. Some speculated smaller calibers would be added while others thought increasing the size of the caliber was the way to go.

In 2001, Winchester announced the addition of the 270 and 7 mm calibers to the WSM line; two choices that have both been very popular with hunters and shooters.

In 2002, most shooters and hunters expected Winchester to add a larger caliber to the WSM line and the popular guess was 338. However, Winchester along with Browning and Winchester Firearms surprised the shooting public with the introduction of two Winchester Super Short Magnums, the 223 and 243. Here was a totally new concept in commercially available ammunition. The "short-fat" cartridges were designed to work with new Super Short action rifles from Browning and Winchester Firearms. Then in 2003, a 25 caliber load was added to the WSSM line.

Shooters and hunters who like bigger bore rifles for large game hunting are expecting Winchester and Browning and Winchester Firearms to finally make the move to bigger bullets in the WSM line for 2005. They are right, but they may be surprised.

Winchester recognized the need for a cartridge capable of launching 200 plus grain bullets with high inherent accuracy, energy capable of stopping the largest North American game, and lower perceived recoil. Winchester engineers considered several different calibers during development and determined that the 325 caliber was the best performer in the WSM platform. This new cartridge delivers similar energies as a 338 Win-Mag in a much smaller lightweight package.

The platform of the "Short-Fat" cartridge design has for years consistently produced very accurate cartridges. Since their introduction, the Winchester Short Magnum and the Winchester Super Short Magnum calibers have all produced exceptional accuracy. In addition to delivering excellent ballistics, the 325 WSM also exhibits exceptional accuracy, a real plus in this large caliber cartridge.

Initially, three loads will be available in the 325 WSM. Winchester Ammunition and Nosler, Inc. developed a 200 gr. AccuBond® CT® in the Supreme® line and in the Super-X® line, Winchester Ammunition developed a 220 gr. Power-Point® bullet. Both of these loads utilize bullets specifically designed for use in the 325 WSM. Additionally, a 180 gr. Ballistic Silvertip® in the Supreme® line will be available. Additional loads are expected in the future.

The 325 WSM is the ideal package for the serious elk, bear, moose or other large and dangerous game hunter where a lightweight short magnum rifle is desired.

The Winchester 325 WSM will be available in early 2005.

We shot some 325's this last weekend. Results were impressive, while it was a mule deer, broke both shoulders at 175yrds and the heart and lungs ended up being liquid.

Not too bad

Yawn.

The .338 is the KING of the medium bores in this country. 8mm cartridges are not popular beyond a very small segment of the gun-buying public.
USRAC blew it.

George

I am more interested in this one, than any of the other short mags. I think a Browning Blr with a 220 grain Partition (maybe it'll happen some day) at about 2800 fps would be hell on elk and bear in the timber.

Not even a little bit interesting, nor is the 25 WSSM. Winchester blew it with both, the king of the shorty's would have been a 25 WSM equaling 257 Weatherby ballistics in a shorter package.

I personally like the 8mm idea, but what really seperates the 8mm from the 30 cal is a true 220 grain spitzer bullet.

Bullet makers need to start making premium 220 grain bullets. A 220 grain power point isn't going to cut it. A 220 grain Partition is.

The feeling seems to be why shoot a 200 grain 8mm bullet when I can shoot a 200 grain 30 cal bullet from my magnum?

Just curious, what are the velocities they are getting with factory ammunition so far? :?:

[/quote]

Actualy the 8mm has a larger selection of bullet weights, 125gr to 250grs, with a brass solid in the later.[/quote]

Hello all,

I'm new here, and a big 338 fan. I don't want to start out arguing but, the 338 can be had in weights from 160 (Barnes) to 300 (Sierra and Woodleigh).

The 8mm is a nice caliber, I just happen to prefer its larger brother.

Jim

The .243 WSSM is basically a .240 Weatherby in a smaller case, the ballistics aren't exactly the same but they are pretty close.

The .25 WSSM is closer to a .25-06 remington in ballistics than it is to a .257 weatherby. Just because they arent as fast or powerful as the bigger versions doesnt mean they are screwups. You dont need a cannon's energy to kill a deer or elk. Heck, a .22LR will kill a elephant if the shot is right although you wouldnt catch me huntin elephants with a .22

I like bigger calibers but I also like the WSSM's. I want a .300WSM because I already have its big brother, .300 Win Mag and I also would like to have one of the WSSM's just to have something different.

Back