325 WSM, the forgotten one

ksubuck

Handloader
Jun 25, 2014
Question for you guys. I have a 325 I picked up years ago. It sits in the safe collecting dust. I have reloaded for it a bit but never took it too seriously. Harvested one doe with it.

I am looking to spend some more time with it this summer and maybe even finish breaking in the barrel. What are some of the better powders and load combinations in your experiences.

I have loaded IMR 4350 and 180g BT and 200g AB. Seems to have some accuracy potential.

This is one of the finest cartridges I shoot. Mine has accounted for several head of moose and elk; all died without any particular fuss. I've had excellent success with Swift 220 grain A-Frames and 65 grains of W760 (2800 + fps/0.57 inches). Another powder that worked well to maintain velocity and accuracy are H100V. The Swift 200 grain A-Frame charged with 65 grains of W760 was a virtual match to its bigger brother. Sierra 220 grain Game King charged with 65 grains of RL19 gives good accuracy, though velocity is somewhat lower than I would have expected (~2600 fps/0.4 inches). A 200 grain AccuBond teamed with 65 grains of IMR4350 gives me a good combination of accuracy and velocity. However, my "go to" load (which has accounted for all the elk and all the moose I've shot with this cartridge) is a 200 grain Partition charged with 64.5 grains of H4350 (~2750 fps/0.34 inches). Great cartridge that is seriously under-rated.

It's one I am always threatening to get.. I think it has alot going for it in a lightweight mountain rifle.

My boy's savage 325 wsm
66 gr H4350 200 AB 2980 fps

I load for a buddy who has a Model 70 in .325 WSM. It is a great cartridge that took me almost no time to work a load up for! His loads are as follows:

200 gr. AccuBond - 65.5 grs of IMR4350
200 gr. Partition - 64.5 grs of IMR4350

What works out very well is the one load is sighted to be 1.5 inches high at 100 yards, and the second load will impact 2.5" high at 100 so you essentially can use either load and not worry about it. I really enjoy shooting his rifle. The recoil is very manageable.

My go to load is 66gr IMR4350 with 200gr NAB. I believe "Wildgene" has good load with RL17 and 220gr Sierras. The NAB load gave good accuracy and fabulous performance when I took it to Africa.
Scott

muleman":2il9ms9w said:
The NAB load gave ... fabulous performance when I took it to Africa.
Scott

I'll say! You took some excellent animals.

I worked up the 200g ABs with IMR 4350 and stopped at 65.0gr. No pressure signs so I should creep up a bit to see if there is another node. Found one at 62.5 that shot three groups ranging from 0.6 to 0.9 MOA. Chrono around 2675fps so it was a bit anemic.

The 180gr BTips with 67.0g IMR 4350 run around 2925fps. Get 0.6 MOA with that load. Crushed a good sized Kansas doe years ago. My buddy was impressed. One second she was just standing there, and then she wasn't.

I also agree that it is a nice rifle to carry around, lighter and handier than my 26 inch magnums.

Anyone have a link to Muleman's Africa haul? Off I go to find the thread.

Found it. Wow. What a dream hunt. Nice photo journal.

I had a Browning A Bolt for a while and it was a nice gun, Would own another 325 WSM again since it is a bit of an oddball and I find most 30 cal magnums a bit boring (other than the 308 Norma and 300 H&H). It is a great cartridge than deserves better than the shooting public has given it.

...I'm loading 63grs. of RL-17 behind the 220gr. Sierras @2800fps, the Winchester factory 220grs. say they're getting 2840fps. Most of the "listed" loads, especially Hodgdon's seem pretty anemic, most of the available bullets have a rather marginal BC/ SD's, one of the main reasons I keep try to get Nosler to put out a heavy, high BC AB. In the meantime, the 220gr. SBT has been very accurate, & w/ it's heavy construction, BC of 0.521, SD of .0.301 pushed @ just under 8mm Rem MV's w/ about 25% less powder have worked out very well for me on a 1/2 doz. elk...

...this is 2 3-shot groups @ 200yds, shot the first group, pasted it over & shot the second group thru the stickers...

That's pretty good stuff Gene.. You make a great case for the 325.

What rifle do you run the 325 in?

...one of the cheap, plastic stocked, push feed Model 70's, never had a thing done to it other than the occasional cleaning... :oops: :roll: :lol: :mrgreen:

Scotty,

this is kind of funny, everywhere you go today someone is talking about the 325 WSM, maybe it means you should get one. Would you consider that BLR, or only a bolt for you

I would most definitely get a BLR in a 325 WSM. I really like those BLRs and a 325 would be pretty cool as well.

Gene, that would be a pack able rifle for sure. Wonder how they do when you take them down and put them together for zero retention.

Gene

someone is getting a 325wsm BLR with a pistol grip, ( unfortunately it is not me ) but they are in the Mackenzie mountain range.

They had ask Scotty which of the following bullets would work
Nosler PT 200
Swift A Frame, 200, 220
Northfork, 200, 220
Woodleigh 196,220, 250

I think Scotty basically said, all of them LOL

oops, I see Scotty posted while I was typing

...my original intent w/ the .325 was a "brush gun", but the 220gr. Sierra SBT kinda changed that, all of a sudden it was a very viable 600yd. "elk rifle"...

...like I mentioned, there are a number of reasons I use the 220gr. SBT. Cost & availability figure into it, but the bullet was designed specifically for the 8mm Rem, w/ a thicker, tougher jacket, it retains enough mass to penetrate most critters, but the soft lead point allows it to expand & dump a tremendous amount of energy into the vitals w/ hydrostatic shock. The exterior ballistics compares extremely well w/ 210-225gr. bullets from a .338 WM, giving up very little in the way of MV & generally having a better SD & BC, & doing it w/ about 15% less powder. And I have yet to shoot any .338 that was near as comfortable to shoot as my .325...

...that said, I sure wouldn't mind having a pocketful of those 250gr. Woodleigh Weldcores if I was wandering around in "Big Bear Country", I'm just waiting on DR. Mike's "Field Report" :roll: :lol: :mrgreen:

...time to get on the Bandwagon & convince Nosler to make a 220-230gr. AB!!! (y) :mrgreen:

I love my Kimber Montana in this underrated cartridge. Unfortunately, I haven't had many opportunities to hunt with it yet, but the one chance she had, proved herself perfectly. One shot at a cow elk from 330 yards with my hand loaded 200 grain AccuBond and my hunt was over.

It shows an affinity toward 200 grain Accubonds with RS Big Game and RL17 and also with the 220 grain Sierras with RL 17.

I have to admit that I feel a little like a hoarder as I buy brass anytime I find it. About 350 pieces right now, but I don't want to be left without brass in the future. Why? Because my 325 wsm will always be part of my arsenal. Now...if I could find some Ram shot Big Game, That would be good.

FH

wildgene":hn083o3h said:
...I'm loading 63grs. of RL-17 behind the 220gr. Sierras @2800fps, the Winchester factory 220grs. say they're getting 2840fps. Most of the "listed" loads, especially Hodgdon's seem pretty anemic, most of the available bullets have a rather marginal BC/ SD's, one of the main reasons I keep try to get Nosler to put out a heavy, high BC AB. In the meantime, the 220gr. SBT has been very accurate, & w/ it's heavy construction, BC of 0.521, SD of .0.301 pushed @ just under 8mm Rem MV's w/ about 25% less powder have worked out very well for me on a 1/2 doz. elk...

...this is 2 3-shot groups @ 200yds, shot the first group, pasted it over & shot the second group thru the stickers...

I've gotta try this load in mine - What a long range hammer!
Scott

Back