325 WSM, the forgotten one

My son's Savage after I painted it. His choice of colors

wildgene":fcnf1qgz said:
I'm just waiting on DR. Mike's "Field Report" :roll: :lol: :mrgreen:

...time to get on the Bandwagon & convince Nosler to make a 220-230gr. AB!!! (y) :mrgreen:

I have one box of 225 grain Speer 225 grain bullets that may get a look-see sometime soon. Otherwise, I do have some 220 grain Woodleighs that must be utilised shortly.

DrMike, do the 220 gr Woodleigh's have a Best By: 12/31/15 stamp on them?

The 325 WSM rifles seem to sell well around here for elk hunters. I had/have too many medium bore Magnums, creating little personal need for another rifle but had I bought one, it would have been a .325 WSM. The reason being that it is short and fairly powerful. The .325 WSM is an accurate and potent round for elk and moose.

Oldtrader3":1xdacz3k said:
DrMike, do the 220 gr Woodleigh's have a Best By: 12/31/15 stamp on them?

Can't read the language of Oz! I felt good to learn Canajun. Don't know the expiry date on these. :grin:

We dont have any 220 gr Sierra's and my shots are all under 250 yards, so hopefully the 220 Northfork and 250 Woodleigh's will work for me as that is all we currently have available.

As Sean and Scotty know I was somewhat chastised for buying the 325WSMBLR so soon after receiving the 348. And my response was ---oh please-- I have a 275, 300, 375 H & H, a 7mmWSM, 325WSM and a 45/70, plus my first rifle a 30-06---7 rifles. Most, if not all you fellows have 7 rifles behind 20 or 30 rifles in your gun safe you forgot you had. Scotty has probably built 7 rifles since the beginning of the year or at the very least has the blueprint for them in his head

Cheyenne, were ever did you find Northfork bullets in Canada? I should imagine they will work very well in your 325 WSM. And, consequently, watch yourself for chastising the poor Marine for letting his mind wander (and perhaps even wonder) about other cartridges. One cannot have too many rifles (don't let my wife see that, however).

The .325 is a killer for sure. It is relatively popular among savvy sheep hunters here. I still kind of regret not getting the M48 chambered in it. At the time I was worried about ongoing ammunition availability- I called that one right since I haven't seen a box of .325 in a while. But, I still might get one.

A stiff charge of RL17 works wonders in every .325 rifle I've ever seen.

yukon huntress":3qmpao5u said:
We dont have any 220 gr Sierra's and my shots are all under 250 yards, so hopefully the 220 Northfork and 250 Woodleigh's will work for me as that is all we currently have available.

As Sean and Scotty know I was somewhat chastised for buying the 325WSMBLR so soon after receiving the 348. And my response was ---oh please-- I have a 275, 300, 375 H & H, a 7mmWSM, 325WSM and a 45/70, plus my first rifle a 30-06---7 rifles. Most, if not all you fellows have 7 rifles behind 20 or 30 rifles in your gun safe you forgot you had. Scotty has probably built 7 rifles since the beginning of the year or at the very least has the blueprint for them in his head

Don't let that bother you. That .325WSM on that platform would be really slick. Yeah I have that problem as well Cheyenne. I've picked up 3 this year and sent one in for surgery. Got one I have plans for and a donor waiting for me to do something with. Yes I have ideas swirling in my head all the time.

Dr Mike, to your question. My grandfather is a U.S. citizen and lives in the U.S. and other countries during the winter, but comes to the yukon in the spring and has done this for several years-- he drives across the border when coming our way. Also Brooke ( Seans daughter) who lives in Alaska travels to the Yukon occasionally. Nobody else will probably understand why I am telling you this but I am sure you will..

My husband, once said that he could see no reason to have any more rifles once he had the 257, 300, and 340 weatherby, but he also did not stop with those three. And I love his reasoning. The 270 weatherby, in his mind is even better than the 257, but when he got the 270, he did not get rid of the 257. He has ventured away from Weatherby a bit , but not much.

nvbroncrider. thank you, I need all the support I can get when I keep hearing, you had nothing but the 30-06 for years and it did everything you wanted it to do, from wolf to bear, so why all these other rifles ?

Hodgeman, I got the rifle for different reasons but also was thinking it would work for goat and sheep, but I would probably need to find a different bullet than the ones we have as goat/sheep can be a more challenging shot ( distance wise ) I used the 275 H & H on my last sheep hunt and it worked o.k. for me.

Dr Mike you have a 280 Ross, I believe, which is ballistically the same as the 275 I think, from memory.. do you use it for sheep and goat ?

yukon huntress":1jqqh3o2 said:
Hodgeman, I got the rifle for different reasons but also was thinking it would work for goat and sheep, but I would probably need to find a different bullet than the ones we have as goat/sheep can be a more challenging shot ( distance wise ) I used the 275 H & H on my last sheep hunt and it worked o.k. for me.

Yeah, my sheep buddies all use 180gr for sheep hunting and it basically replicates the .300 WM/WSM. Most of them stick a fist full of 220s in the pack for the odd griz. One of mine friends also reports the 220SGKs pole axe moose with authority.

Cheyenne,

The 280 Ross would be excellent for sheep; however, I'm not climbing about real actively nowadays. Yes, the Ross is a ballistic twin to the 275 H&H. Consequently, I was pulling your leg. I fully understand, just don't talk about these things a lot. I'm fully with your husband; once I get a rifle I like, it is almost impossible for me to divest myself of said firearm. It is likely to stay with me until Jesus comes (or I go to Him). I've instructed my wife that when I die she is not to just give these firearms away for what she imagines I paid for them. :shock: I have help lined up to assist her in disposing of what has been accumulated. :grin:

hodgeman":1gfepjph said:
yukon huntress":1gfepjph said:

Yeah, my sheep buddies all use 180gr for sheep hunting and it basically replicates the .300 WM/WSM. Most of them stick a fist full of 220s in the pack for the odd griz. One of mine friends also reports the 220SGKs pole axe moose with authority.

Mine shoots both the 220 grain Sierra GK and the 220 Swift A-Frame with delightful accuracy. However, I have found that the 200 grain Partition is more than enough for moose and elk. I suspect (though I cannot speak with first hand knowledge--yet) that it will work equally well on grizz.

Cheyenne, I had 28 long guns in my safe when I retired, 5 of them were shotguns, + one .22. The balance were .257R to .375 H&H, all Model 70, Browning's or Mauser's. Among the rifles, I had a 7mm Mag., .300 H&H, .300 WSM, .340 Weatherby and a .375 H&H.

Retirement and illness has reduced me to (9) rifles and one shotgun. I presently have a .204 Ruger (CZ), .257 R (Mauser FN custom), .270 W (Win 70 custom), 7mm Rem mag (Mauser custom), .338 Federal (Sako) and a 9.3x74R (Ruger #1). Plus small bore. I feel diminished but not dead.
Charlie

Actually Guy, I do like the .325 WSM. It is the only WSM that I like. The .300 WSM did not do it for me. However, I have promised the wife, no more rifles, until I sell a couple.

DrMike":f4wzw74k said:
Cheyenne, were ever did you find Northfork bullets in Canada? I should imagine they will work very well in your 325 WSM. And, consequently, watch yourself for chastising the poor Marine for letting his mind wander (and perhaps even wonder) about other cartridges. One cannot have too many rifles (don't let my wife see that, however).

Prophet River has them but you had better be sitting down when you look at the pricing :shock:

Plus tax and shipping, makes the $85 per box 35 cal 250 gr PT's here look like a bargain. Want to try those North Forks but not that bad.......

gerry":1s99hghh said:
Plus tax and shipping, makes the $85 per box 35 cal 250 gr PT's here look like a bargain. Want to try those North Forks but not that bad.......

gerry---ouch! When I see things like this I realize how lucky I am, as my grandfather buys all the bullets, powders, cases etc and does our reloading. When I saw this gerry, I said out loud. thank you Granddad!

Charlie, the only other rifle I would like to have right now is one of Martini's single shot rifles, preferably in the 300 H& H caliber. For those who are thinking it is Martini and Hagn, they split up, but both men make beautiful rifles and a rifle from Hagn would also be o.k., as they are both very good rifle builders

The only other rifles I wanted was the 244 and 400 H & H's, mainly just to round out my collection of H & H rifles. My grandfather and Scotty talked me out of spending my money on those two rifles, as I guess the 244 is a tough one for the benefits received and I forgot why they did not want me to get the 400, but they are both knowledgeable rifle cranks and I trust them.

Dr. Mike, Gerry, other B.C. members---has anyone else ever visited the Martini and or Hagn shop and looked at their rifles. If so were you as impressed with them as I was. The bolt or single shot would be fine, but for some reason I fell in love with one of the single shot rifles that they had just completed

Back