325 WSM

G

I'm thinking of building a pack rifle in the new 325, does anyone have experience with this cartridge? also what barrel length is optimum. I was thinking a number 4 contour kreiger or shilen?

Too bad Ruger discontinued the 325 WSM in their compact M77 Frontier 2 with the 16.5" barrel !!!!!!!!!!!!!! That would have given you the perfect, powerful and light weight pack gun....I know because I have the 300 WSM in that same rifle, which was also discontinued by Ruger! Available in the .308 though!!!...........While not as popular as the other WSM`s, I have a friend that has the 325. A great shooter!!! While not as popular as the 338 Win., it will nevertheless stop any N/A big game!!!...........Big Squeeze!

I just purchased a 300 wsm t 3 tikka. I did quite a bit of checking out between the 300 win and the 300 wsm (simmilarly between the 325 and the 338 because my brother in law just purchased a winchester 325 wsm in 2005). I remember seeing testing done on the short mags barrel length and I think that the wsm series is less affected by barrel length than conventional mags. That is not to say that they are not affected! I beleive that if you consider 26" the optomom length for a 338, then a 24 inch is the optomom length for the 325. I wouldn't go shorter than 20" if you still want to utilize the power of the 325. There is a reason that most factory rifles chambered in the 325 are 22 or 24 inch barrels. Also, keep in mind that you are making a very powerful rifle with very little weight. I suggest that you find someone with an ultra light rifle in similar cal to shoot to see if you like the recoil.
good luck
Mark.

A friend of mine had one made from HS Precision and took it to Africa. Used the 200 grain AccuBond and one shot everything which included a Eland, Kudu, and Gemsbok.

He said the 325wsm performed flawlessly. I believed he had them cut the barrel to 22 inches. I got a chance to shoot it and it is a "Shooter". Then again, what do you expect for $3000.

Britz brings up some very good points.....The WSM`s are better if shorter barrels lengths are chosen...........As examples, my chrono results from my Ruger Frontier, 300WSM with the 16.5" barrel are as follows........Using 150 gr. reloads, the average is 3,155 fps. at a 1.10" group......The 180 gr. reloads average 2,945 fps. at a 1.20" group. No pressure signs from either load meaning more velocity potential can be realized!!!......If Ruger can chamber the 325 WSM using a 16.5" with excellent results, there should be no reason why, if you choose to, to have the .325 WSM built around that barrel length!!!!! Using a 16.5" barrel, the velocity loss will only be 4.5%, as opposed to the 31% longer 24" barrel length......... My chrono results back that up as well as an article posted on........shootingtimes.com......Click on long guns, then scroll down to that article, "Short answer, Scout style rifles" by Dick Metcalf. His Ruger Frontier 2 test rifle is a 7mm/08. The velocity loss of only 4.5% will apply to all available calibers......As far as recoil is concerned???? Oh yeah!!! My little light weight Ruger 300 WSM does pack a punch!!!! For the range, I bought a new slip on Limbsaver recoil pad. That, solved the recoil issue!!!!!..........Build your .325 WSM pack rifle as short and as light as possible. Use the 16.5" barrel length if you want to. You will absolutely love it`s easy, fast handling and light weight features!!!!!!......................................Big Squeeze!

I would think a 22" #3 contour with a synthetic stock and a smaller variable scope like the VXIII 2.5x8 would give you a nice packable rifle.
In 325 WSM, it would make for a dandy elk rig.

JD338

I wanted to add one more thing. Chuch Hawks mentioned on one of his sites that the WSM and SAUM are not very well suited for dangerous game due to feading problems for short stubby cases. I am beginning to see what he is talking about in my T3 in a 300WSM. ONce in a while when shooting at the bench, I place a cartidge on top of the mag and push it in w/ the bolt. Once in a while it has a little binding.

I have not had any cartridge binding problems with my Ruger as of yet!!! If on a hunt and I do have problems, I`ll guess those dangerous critters will just have to face my trusty backup pop gun, hand gun!!!!.........a 500 S&W!!!!!................................Big Squeeze!

I have a Model 70 in 270 wsm and a CZ Model 3 in 300 wsm. The only time I have had feeding problems is when I tried to slowly chamber a round. I highly doubt you would be slowly chambering a round during a dangerous game hunt. Especially for a follow up shot. Personally I love the wsm's not sure on the wssm's yet, but from everything I have read on the 325 wsm it will do anything you might need it to do. For a mountain pack rifle it should be excellent. More performance out of a shorter lighter action is what the wsm's are all about.

My A-Bolt had a 23" barrel and it weighed 6.5 lbs without anything mounted on it.IT STILL PUNCHED YOU!!! I have heard that it wasnt supposed to kick harder then a 300 Winny,WRONG!! My old 30-378 Weatherby didnt kick as hard. Nice rifle,but didnt like the lack of good 8mm bullets available to handload.It did produce great accuracy with the couple loads I did find though.I also had no feeding or extracting problems what so ever.It just wasnt a Remington :wink: :wink:

Back