338-06 Accubond for Elk

Rob1SG

Beginner
Nov 24, 2004
I took a nice Bull last year with my 7 RM 160 AccuBond. This year I want to use my 338-06. I have a good load for the 210 Part. but wanted something in the AccuBond . 200 gr shoots well and I will try the 225 soon what would be your choice. The country is wide open NW Colo.

Any one of the bullets you are considering for your 338-06 would work well for elk. The 225 gr AB would retain more energy at long range due to its higher BC and would be my first choice.

JD338

I wouldn't take a 338-06 elk hunting, but thats just me. I once saw a guy shoot a big cow at around 100 yards with a 225g hornady interlock out of a 338-06. At the shot, the elk was smacked to the ground. As we were walking up to it, it jumped up and took off running. NEver did get a 2nd shot as it was pretty thick crap, and we never did find the elk, blood trail ran out. I know that this was probly a fluke as it was only once, but when you see something like that, you really dont want it to happen again. I would second JD's advice on the heavier 225g slug vs. the lighter 200g.

Wow,
I knew elk were getting tougher every year. but now 3500 ftlbs with a 225g bullet isn't good enough for elk. I was so under gunned using a 358 win and a 30.06. Luckly I still have my ruger 416 rigby, it ought to serve untill elk get their next armor upgrade.

Seriously, I would have thought 338-06 was about perfect elk medicine unless you were one of those 'across canyon' types and needed your 300 RUM

Noknees

remingtonman_25_06":3b1a45g8 said:
I wouldn't take a 338-06 elk hunting, but thats just me. I once saw a guy shoot a big cow at around 100 yards with a 225g hornady interlock out of a 338-06. At the shot, the elk was smacked to the ground. As we were walking up to it, it jumped up and took off running. NEver did get a 2nd shot as it was pretty thick crap, and we never did find the elk, blood trail ran out. I know that this was probly a fluke as it was only once, but when you see something like that, you really dont want it to happen again. I would second JD's advice on the heavier 225g slug vs. the lighter 200g.

That's funny, if your buddy hit that cow elk in the right spot, I doubt she gets up & runs away. I have taken dozens of animals from 50yds-350yds w/ my .338-06, several elk size & larger. All went down to the 210grNP @ 2750fps, all w/ one shot as long as I did my part. It's almost the perfect elk round out to 350yds or so IMO. The 200grNAB should be a good choice as well. Me, I'm happy w/ the 210grNP & will continue to hunt elk w/ my underpowered rig. :shock:

Fred- I'm not one to lie about something I've witnessed with my own 2 eyes. This guy is a pretty good shot, its pretty hard to miss an elks vitals at 100 yards, but who knows. WE'll never know where he hit her because we never found her! Like I said though, it was probly a fluke. The reason I say I wouldn't hunt elk with a 338-06 is because I dont like the 30-06 let alone the 338-06, stuffing bigger bullets in it to make it slower just doesn't impress me one bit. I never said it wasn't a good elk caliber, I just wouldn't use it personally.

I wouldn't take a 338-06 elk hunting-Rem 25-06

Everyone has their opinion just as I would never take your advise, Thanks

JD pretty much nailed it. Either would work fine. I would shoot the most accurate one. Let your gun decide 4U!

I'm pretty sure I've helped a lot of people with my advice. So saying "never" sounds kinda harsh. This wasn't an "opinion" this was a fact I saw. I said in the first post it was probly a fluke. I never said the 338-06 wasn't a good elk cartridge, I just dont like it personally, and wouldn't use it. Not to say others cant use it with success, as has been mentioned. Its alright though, if someone was talking smack about one of my fav cals, like the 25-06, I'd probly get a little upset to...

Not hacking on you remington nor calling you a liar, but I learned along time ago that a single incident doesn't tell life's story. Without a post mortem, you don't even know if the hit was fatal, regardless of your buddy's "skill", everyone misses. You've seen one incident, I have experienced dozens. :grin:
Trust me, a 210grNP @ 2750fps kills as well as just about any small bore magnum out to 300yds on thin skinned game. I don't know why you don't like 06 based rounds, quite efficient & vel. isn't everything. :shock:

Yep, I know lots of game has fallen to the 338-06 w/out much problems. Thats why I said it was a fluke in the 1st post. Dont get me wrong, I like 06" based cases, inparticular the 25-06. Personally, anything above the .280 on an 06" case, I just dont have an interest because velocity becomes an issue for me. NOthing against them though, just dont work for my purposes. They still get the job done no doubt.

Forgot to mention that your definately right about 1 time incident. Its not enough data to support anything. PRetty much the reason I stated it being a fluke.

Rem 25-06 wrote- because I dont like the 30-06 let alone the 338-06.

If you would read what you write first maybe you would understand why I won't use your advise. It probably wasn't the 338-06 but bullet or placement that failed.

Ah Remington, I can tell you a re a younger guy, the whole "velocity" thing gives it away. I was like you once, vel. was everything. The more you shoot & hunt you realize that vel. only takes you so far. 300fps mor vel. in the same bore diameter gives you very little advantage in the field unless you shoot alot passed the 300-350yd mark. There isn't much about the 06 based rounds I don't like, but I've never fallen in love w/ the original 30-06 or the .270 fro that matter, just way to vanilla for me.

Back