338-06 Ackley for moose

grry10

Handloader
Dec 7, 2007
I was drawn for a fall moose permit for Maine. I'm planning to use a 338-06 Ackley that I had built last year but to date I have not killed anything with it but paper. So am looking for help in the bullet selection area. It shoots really well with 200 gr Hornady SST (used during fire forming) and 185 gr Barnes TTXS, which is what I had available at the time. I'm a white tail hunter from Wisconsin so can someone with moose hunting experience please respond.

I would give the .338 210 gr PT a try. With a .400 BC, it will shoot flat and hit hard. Penetration
is much deeper than you would think. It is a solid choice for everything from mice to moose.

JD338

I agree with JD338- In the .338-06 (Ackley or not)... the 210gr Partition is THE bullet. Lots of good .338 bullets out there, but that's the one I'd use.

Moose are big but not problematic to kill- sort of soft despite their size. Not having one die in the water is the bigger obstacle. The .338-06 is a really nice cartridge and should be a very good choice.

You certainly have a great cartridge chosen for your moose hunt. With the others that have posted, I'd really be comfortable with the 210 grain Partition. The bullet will do all you ask of it and ensure that when you get the opportunity to shoot, the moose will expire without drama. Good advice to avoid the beaver ponds and rivers. Moose seem to have a propensity for looking around when they have been shot. If they see water, they are hard-wired to exact a perverse form of revenge from the individual that was so foolish as to shoot the beast, for they plunge into the water (the deeper the better). Rotten animals seem to delight in making life miserable. If there is no water available, they are capable of finding the steepest incline to rush down or the thickest timber you can imagine. Yeah, it is to your advantage to drop them right smartly if at all possible.

Only thing that would equal that would be if I was with you also chasing moose only with my little old .280 Ackley!

Best wishes on your hunt! I think the other guys were spot on. The 210 gr. Partition is perfect. Either that or the AccuBond! Jake just used it with great success on his black bear.

The 225 PT performed beautifully on my blackie 2 weeks ago. Shoots plenty flat and hits like the hammer of Thor.

grry10":18ikuafd said:
I was drawn for a fall moose permit for Maine. I'm planning to use a 338-06 Ackley that I had built last year but to date I have not killed anything with it but paper. So am looking for help in the bullet selection area. It shoots really well with 200 gr Hornady SST (used during fire forming) and 185 gr Barnes TTXS, which is what I had available at the time. I'm a white tail hunter from Wisconsin so can someone with moose hunting experience please respond.

The Hornady SST would work but wouldn't be my first choice on something as big as a moose. The 185 gr Barnes TTSX would be much better and like everyone else has mentioned the AccuBond's and Partition's from 200-225 gr would be great, something like a 210 gr Swift Scirocco would be very good as well. Have taken several moose with the 35 Whelen and 225's so would feel very confident with 200 - 225's in your 338-06 AI. Congrats on your draw and hope you can connect on a nice fat moose, once you hunt them and eat your first meal of moose you will be hooked :)

I'm with the others, a 200 grain AB or 210 PT is just about perfect in my eyes for that case size. You'll get a lot of penetration with both.

Take a look at the 338 bullets in our test section, a lot of good ones out there. If you can find a good load for the 210 PT I don't think you'd ever need anything else. Took Jim a few years to whittle me down but I am very impressed with its performance.

I have only shot one moose and that was with a 338 Win with a 225 TSX. I have shot deer with a 338-06 and 200 gr. Hornadys, not the sst. I would be totally comfortable using the Barnes 185 TTSX.

Congratulation on pulling that Moose tag. The advice that the guys are giving you is top shelf.
I have now shot a couple of Moose & Elk with my 35 Whelen using the 225gr. AccuBond and they work like a charm. I am sure the Partition would do just as good of job.
I am looking forward to a great Moose adventure with a few photos.

Blessings,
Dan

YOur 185gr TTSX would be fine.

I use 225gr Accubonds and TTSX's in my 338-06AI. I built the rifle to shoot the heavier bullets as I use the 180gr AB's in my 300WM.

A 210 Swift Scirocco or TTSX or 200gr AB would be another good choice.

Mighty Peace":3h6u9wyq said:

I use 225gr Accubonds and TTSX's in my 338-06AI. I built the rifle to shoot the heavier bullets as I use the 180gr AB's in my 300WM.

That 210 Scirocco seems like a really good pill for a lot of 338s.

SJB358":1ur3d360 said:
Mighty Peace":1ur3d360 said:

That 210 Scirocco seems like a really good pill for a lot of 338s.

They were hard to find here in Canada at the time so I went with the AB's and TTSXs. I already love the AB's in my other calibers I reload for. (y)

Most of the bullets mentioned will work on Moose, they don't die anyway until the decide to...My option would depend on the terrain I would be hunting..If shots might be long then the 210 Nolser Partition would be my choice and if its thick stuff the 250 Nosler Partition would be my choice...Both work well but the 210 always seemed to get just enough more usable velocity in that smaller case..It was my go to bullet when I shot the 338-06 IMP and std. some many years past...I shoot the 338 Win or the 9.3x62 these days, have for the last 30 years. Nothing wrong with the 338-06 in any form, its a great caliber.

Back