338-06 ..which bullet for Whitetail?

Mac11700

Beginner
Oct 7, 2005
I'm very curious...which bullet would be best for Whitetail than can run anywhere from 100lbs...all the way up to 250lbs.?

I've loaded the regular ballistic Tips...and got good accuracy..but I was wondering if the 200 Gr. C/T SilverBallisticTip might be a good one to use as well...

My shots can range anywhere from a few feet...all the way out to 450 yards depending on stand location...

What are your thoughts and experiances...

Thanks

Mac

I shot a 250 pound mule deer at 200+ yards using the 200 grain Ballistic Tip at 2800 fps muzzle velocity out of my 338-06

The shot was broadside through the ribs and the deer was dead before it hit the ground. As was typical with these larger diameter BTs you could literally eat up to both the entry and exit holes.

The 200 grain Ballistic Tip should work fine on deer. I have taken them deer hunting but just have not got a shot with them yet. I have shot about a half dozen wild hogs with them and they put them on the ground right now. I have never recovered any of these bullets they all have given complete penetration.

The 200 grain Combined Technology Ballistic Silvertip is exactly the same bullet but with a silver plastic tip and a coating applied. They will perform the same on game. Heck, I bought some seconds from Nosler that were going to be Ballistic Silvertips but never made it to the coating process. As I just posted on another thread, the last time I put these on paper my .338 Win Mag shot a 0.44 inch group.

R F

R Flowers:

I pretty sure I can't drive the 200 grainers as fast as you can with your 338 Mag.:lol: ..I think I should be able to get up around 2700-2800 fps with them out of my Handi...I'll have to try and see what I can get with them...

Thanks

Mac

I loaded up some 180 Noslers BT's over 59 grains of BL-C(2) and averaged 3050 fps for the velocity..temp right at 65 degrees or so I'm told by the weather channel...and I was getting 2945 fps for 58 grains when it was much hotter this year...so the extreme powders are doing their job rather nicely...anyways..shots 1 & 2 were just touching and a little left...adjusted the Leupold 4 clicks right...and shot the next 3...that's a wheat penny covering those 3 shots by the way..I'll be loading up another box to take back over when it cools down some...and then I'll site it in to be 2.62" high at 100 yds.

338063050fps004.jpg

338063050fps002.jpg

I know which rifle will be getting the nod for deer hunting...I ran the numbers thru Point Blank and it impressive to say the least...

100yds...+2.62"...2756fps...3035ftlbs energy
200yds...+2.14"...2524fps...2546ftlbs energy
300yds...-3.78"....2304fps...2121ftlbs energy

It's certainly not the flattest shooting cartridge I own...but I reallly think it will get the job done on whitetails...the rifle at least will be going...Now I need to see if these new 180 grain Accubonds will shoot as good as the regular Ballistic tips.. I just picked up this afternoon...

Mac

MAC,

Looks llike a great load and should slam deer.
Good luck with the AB's.

Regards,

JD338

I have always used the CT ballistic tips in mine and have never had a deer move after it was hit.

I shot a whitetale once head on up hill from me from 100 yds the CT entered low at the base of the neck almost between the front legs and exited just behind the tenderloins. to say the least, I wasnt eating tenderloins that year!!

I shot a whitetale last year using the same cartridge from 425 yds quartering away it exited through the hind quarters and totally destroyed the pelvis and backbone. There again the deer hit the ground dead.

I am definitley a believer on the Nosler 200 gr bt's.

This year I am going to try the new AccuBond 180's

Back