338 200 gr E-Tip

I have given up on the .243 and can not find the 6mm that I want. I mostly shoot the .257 Roberts anyway.

gerry":2o4uogp6 said:
The Barnes bullets shearing off their petals isn't a bad thing, you could actually make the argument that it can act like a mono version of the Nosler Partition where it was designed to lose the front end.

I do like the E tip quite a bit and am hoping to be able to get the 3 boxes of 6.5mm 120 gr on order in soon to try in the 264 WM. Should be able to get 3250-3300 fps pretty easily I would guess. With a b.c. of .497 it will shoot flat and handle anything that comes it's way at close range too.

If I see some for sale I will grab them Gerry. I'd like to see what that 120 does as well.

Old thread, but reviving to see if anyone else has used the 200 E-Tip? I am looking to load them in my 338 Fed as well. Primary role would be elk in black timber. It would be very unlikely to ever have a shot over 300yds there. So far they've all been well under 100.

As a side note, I pulled a 200 Trophy Copper, and while it is very similar to an E-Tip, it is not identical. TC has a cannalure and the boattail is slightly different. I chrono'd that Federal Premium load and was fairly slow running about 80-100 FPS below the advertised number. That was from a 22" vice a 24" barrel so that accounts for some of it. However, their 200 Trophy Bonded Tip load was right on their advertised number.

I used the 200 grain Trophy Copper to take a young bull moose with my 338 Federal three years ago. Unfortunately, I have not done any more with the cartridge since then. It is on my "to do" list, and the 200 grain E-Tip will be one of the bullets I test.

I saw your example, and it looked great. I have used 185 and 160 TTSXs (and a 180 BT) on elk and I have found there is some merit to lighter and faster when it comes to the mono bullets. However, I do want to give the 200 grain E-Tip a try. The picture of the E- tip opening at 1800 Fps on the Nosler website is not really confidence inspiring. I'd like a better sense for how they open 2100 to 2400 ft./s give or take. I have no reservations about the penetration, just how wide it will open and cause damage.

prm":5hyf8c44 said:
I saw your example, and it looked great. I have used 185 and 160 TTSXs (and a 180 BT) and I have found there is some merit and lighter and faster when it comes to the mono bullets. However, I do want to give the 200 grain E-Tip a try. The picture of the E- tip opening at 1800 Fps on the Nosler website is not really confidence inspiring. I'd like a better sense for how they open 2100 to 2400 ft./s give or take. I have no reservations about the penetration, just how wide it will open and cause damage.

Throw them into some jugs and media. I'd like to see what they look like as well. It's one of the Noslers I haven't tried in the 338 but should. Should be a sweet bullet in my rifle around 3000.

Guy Miner":2wfi5u1a said:
Palouser":2wfi5u1a said:
I thought I remember seeing a post where David's son shot a cow elk or a young bull at like 400 yards out of his 6 mm 90 grain E tips and said it was a pass-through. And my making that up or was that true David?

That was David. He and I like the big cartridges too, but we're both pretty enthused about the .24 & .25 cal rifles being plenty of rifle for most North American hunting. Bullets like the E-Tip build on that, and I think take the small bores to a new level with the penetration they offer.

Regards, Guy

Palouser it was about 350 yards and she was standing broadside. Hit her tight behind her right shoulder and it angled forward and exited out the center of her left shoulder. It broke her left shoulder and she went maybe 20 yards or so out of sight and dropped.

Started at 3140 fps in my son's 6mm. You can check the chart and see what they would be doing at 300 and 400 yards. It appeared to me that they expanded very nicely even at 400 yards. When you look at them from the top looking down they expanded very well. Hope this helps.

David

Here we go. Here is 25, 100, 300, and 400 yards with an E-tip (3140 fps) & a 100 gr. Partition out of my 6mm (about 3160).

Very nice. Hoping for some good results from the 100 ET in the 25-06. If the accuracy shapes up
I'll be jug testing them soon.

SJB358":q17q2y57 said:
prm":q17q2y57 said:
I saw your example, and it looked great. I have used 185 and 160 TTSXs (and a 180 BT) and I have found there is some merit and lighter and faster when it comes to the mono bullets. However, I do want to give the 200 grain E-Tip a try. The picture of the E- tip opening at 1800 Fps on the Nosler website is not really confidence inspiring. I'd like a better sense for how they open 2100 to 2400 ft./s give or take. I have no reservations about the penetration, just how wide it will open and cause damage.

Throw them into some jugs and media. I'd like to see what they look like as well. It's one of the Noslers I haven't tried in the 338 but should. Should be a sweet bullet in my rifle around 3000.

I have fired them into wet paper magazines, but that was at muzzle velocity (little over 2600). They look great for that!

I'd be happier if they grooved that bullet to provide a place for brass displacement and relieve some of the pressure. My guess is that Barnes may have some kind of rights to that idea which could be why the E-tips don't have them.

Who knows?

I believe they do now. It shows one groove on the Nosler website now. The Federal Version, the Trophy Copper has them.

Here is a 200 Trophy Copper and an E-Tip

IMG_3918.JPG

One issue that has become apparent is that 200 E-Tips don't seem to be available. Anybody have insight into any? Especially new ones with a cannelure.

I stocked up a year ago, but all mine are sans cannelure. I believe they are still available at my LGS.

I'm the same. Have a few old ones. If I'm going to work up a new load then I'd rather start with the current version not knowing how much, if any, difference there would be.

Normally, it is a matter of tweaking to adjust to a cannelure cut into a profile. There are exceptions; however, it is usually because you are dealing with a relief groove rather than a cannelure.

They do perform well when they have some velocity on them. They are an odd design at the tip where the plastic is not flush with the copper. Seems like a larger plastic tip is in order.

Back