338 300 gr Accubond Loading Data/Range Results thread

I just got mine today. I might have to seat them pretty deep to shoot them in my .338 Baer's as they are throated for 250's. Those suckers are long. JBM says they will stable down to at least 1350fps in a 10 twist barrel.

How long is your barrel shoots_5? I think I can probably get in the 2600's with my .338 Baer's out of them. They shoot 250's 2850-2900.

My 338 300 gr AB's arrived today. :mrgreen:
I am off to the range for a test drive.
First up is Retumbo in the 338 RUM.

JD338

Looking forward to your results! I briefly played with Retumbo in my Lapua when I first got it and was breaking it in, but have yet to revisit it....might have to give it another shake sometime. I'm more interested in testing RL33 though when it finally hits the market.... I've actually been holding off a bit on doing much further testing in hopes of that powder being then next coming for the big 338's so I don't go broke buying components in the mean time!

Pretty windy at the range, temp 53* but here are my results.....

338 RUM
300 gr AB
91.5 grs Retumbo
Fed Case
GM215M primer

Avg MV 2742 fps
ES 12
SD 6

92.0 grs Retumbo
Avg MV 2758 fps
ES 17
SD 9
Slight signs of pressure

Both shoot under an inch at 100 yds.

I will try to get out again this week. Next weekend I am shooting 600 and 800 yds.

JD338

Jim,

Those numbers look pretty good. That could prove impressive.

DrMike":78a2sd3o said:
Hmmmm. I bet Scotty is getting pretty good at making that "spike tag soup" palatable.

Yeah Mike! That isn't funny at all buddy! Lets try to stay on topic here.. We were picking on David, not me!

We saw plenty of bulls, just none of the darned young'in's! I think once they knew Brian was on the way with his mighty 300, they moved East to Davids hunting area... That my story and I am sticking to it!

8931191801105.jpg

3244291801105.jpg

2244291801105.jpg

9521744801105.jpg

DrMike":ankvf43o said:
Jim,

That is very impressive Jim. How was the recoil in your LSS? Looks like that would be a fun one to use to knock over some MI deer or WY antelope! :twisted:

SJB358":318kvuqr said:
DrMike":318kvuqr said:
Hmmmm. I bet Scotty is getting pretty good at making that "spike tag soup" palatable.

Yeah Mike! That isn't funny at all buddy! Lets try to stay on topic here.. We were picking on David, not me!

We saw plenty of bulls, just none of the darned young'in's! I think once they knew Brian was on the way with his mighty 300, they moved East to Davids hunting area... That my story and I am sticking to it!

Looks like Scotty's driving the bus again. I thought it was kinda funny Scotty! :mrgreen: I cannot say too much Scotty because I'm still chewing on some Mountain Goat tag if you don't remember. :cry: Jim that is nice shooting. What's the recoil like in the rifle? You don't have a brake on it do you?? Has it scoped you yet?

I'm not sure if it's a big enough caliber for those Wyoming antelope and Michigan deer though my friend. You may have to consult with Fotis on that just to make sure you have enough gun!

SJB358":2y5k9jqc said:
DrMike":2y5k9jqc said:
Jim,

That is very impressive Jim. How was the recoil in your LSS? Looks like that would be a fun one to use to knock over some MI deer or WY antelope! :twisted:

Recoil was rather stout at 55 ft/lbs.
Weather permitting, I will be shooting 600 and 800 yds this weekend! :grin:

JD338

I got a call from my brother in law informing me that they've been seeing a bunch of coyotes lately out on their farm....hopefully going to go chase them on Saturday evening. If I do, I'll bring my 338 Lapua along with the 22-250 in case one hangs up at distance and see if a 300AB bounces off a coyote or not.... :twisted:

I verified my zero tonight at 100 yds as it was getting late.
first two in the same hole and I dropped the third shot out about 1 inch low. :evil:
IMG_06671.jpg

JD338

Great shooting Jim.. Looks promising.. 55 lbs of recoil doesn't sound very nice on the bench though...

Thanks fellas.
I will reshoot Sat and then go long.

Will provide pictures of the event. :mrgreen:

JD338

I was hoping that someone was working with the .340 Bee? There was some discussion of this earlier but I guess that I will do my own development. That way, I can use components that I have and can verify my own tests and shooting. No biggy!

I might have some time this weekend to run a few through my .338 Baer(s) Oldtrader. It's basically the same as a .340 Weatherby but in this instance the Weatherby might be better with the longer throat.

Thanks for that, IdahoCTD, I was looking for a logical place to start and that sounds in the ballpark. I appreciate your help.

Back