338 Ultra Mag

Thanks for the info.......I am going to try it without a brake
I don't plan on shooting it a lot just work up my hunting load and zero......and put it up till season.
I found some 230gr Failsafe in my reloading supplies........along with the 250 AB.
I have all I need now to reload H1000 and Retumbo powder.
I sent it to Mag Na port to get their port job.
Shot out to JD338 thanks for the data.

I always knew about the legendary terminal performance of the big Partition bullets but never even considered how accurate they may be. Just to complicated of a process to construct an A-frame bullet to exacting standards, or so I thought.

I started shooting the 250 Partitions only because I couldn't get the 250 Accubonds which I was really interested in. The load was being tailored specifically for an upcoming moose hunt. Here is what I found the 250 Partitions capable of at 300 yds.

338_RUM_300_yds_002.jpg

However, at the last minute I got the 250 Accubonds and found a very accurate load which I used for the hunt.

Moose_2014.JPG

That is some good shooting and a nice bull

This is my bull from 9/11/15

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 2,037
Charlie and Jeff,

Congratulations on a couple of dandy bulls!

Yes, the 338 250 gr PT is a very accurate bullet.
Here is a 100 yard 4 shot group from my 338 RUM.
338RUM250grPT.jpg

Minute of moose for sure.

JD338

Hey Alaska, nice bull, congrats.

BTW - despite 6 months of load/shooting preparation in anticipation of a longrange shooting opportunity at a good bull, that bull popped out at 54 yards and gave me only a few seconds to get off a shot. Funny how the least likely hunting scenario is the one that usually presents itself.

That is the way it is sometimes.......I like the close shots .......the closest bull I have taken is 50 yards on opening day.......a good young one :)

With my 338 Win I have no problem anything 500 yards and under.
I don't know why I purchased a 338 RUM......

The area I hunt near Fairbanks I have lasered the landmarks and have them all remembered at my stand.
This bull makes my 7th.........guess what I having for supper tonight :)

I will share my favorite moose recipe

This recipe comes from a 1990 NAHC Wild Game Cookbook. I have several of these cookbooks and I just love them. Recipes from these cookbooks come from people like you and me. You can use Deer/Moose/Elk

INGREDIENTS
I marinate my moose in buttermilk after I cut up the strips and tenderize them for 3 days in frig.

SERVINGS 4-6 UNITS US
2 -3 lbs boneless venison steak (tenderloins or back straps work great)
garlic salt
celery salt
pepper
flour
1⁄4 cup oil
1 medium red or sweet onion, chopped
1 cup celery, thinly sliced
1 cup mushroom, sliced (I like 2 cups of fresh mushrooms)
2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup
1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cheddar cheese soup
2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans water

DIRECTIONS

Cut steaks1/2 to 3/4 inch thick, cut in small sizes. Sprinkle the meat lightly with garlic salt, celery salt and pepper.
Flour meat and brown on both sides in 1/4 cup oil. When meat is brown, place in a baking dish or pan large enough to hold all ingredients.
Spread meat evenly over bottom of pan.
Spread onion, celery and mushrooms over meat.
In a separate dish or bowl, add cream of mushroom soup, cheese soup and water. Mix well and pour over meat and vegetables.
Bake at 350 degrees for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until the meat is tender. Serve over rice or noodles.

I will take that 54 yard shot any day.......pick your spot for a precise bullet placement to savage meat. My last close bull was back in 2009 on opening day at 50 yards on a young bull.....I sat and watched him feed for 20 minutes before I decided to shoot him. He was a 2 year old bull.

He was moving closer to the ATV trail..........made it easier for butchering. :)

I had the camp and bull loaded in 4 hours by myself and was heading home.

Nice Bull congratulations !!! Love the 338 RUM . 250 Accubonds are on my bullet to try list , it shoots everything great I'm sure it will those too.

JD338":4xie40qp said:
Charlie and Jeff,

338RUM250grPT.jpg

JD338

Isn't that ironic a .49" group at a $.49 target? Nice shooting Jim!

nvbroncrider":12cnszgx said:
JD338":12cnszgx said:
Charlie and Jeff,

338RUM250grPT.jpg

JD338

Isn't that ironic a .49" group at a $.49 target? Nice shooting Jim!

Great catch, Jake! Hadn't even noticed. (y)

I wish I had the formula for the Bitterroot bonded core bullets BBC
I am surprised after all these years .......it's not returned

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    113.4 KB · Views: 1,100
338 rum is a big hammer. I have only shot two animals with mine, an Alaskan Bull Moose and a Rocky Mountain Bull Elk. The moose was at 98 yards on the range finder and the elk was 364 yards I think. Same result one shot and dead critter. I have had the same results with my 300 and 270 on other elk and deer but the rum is great where we hunt, in the big canyons of Colorado full of oak brush. It seems to anchor animals where they are, and do it with authority at long range. I thought I read that a 338 rum with a 250 grain bullet hits harder at 1000 yards than a 30-30 at the muzzle. I know that the 250gr Partitions I am shooting at about 3000 fps are delivering about 4900lbs of thump at the muzzle. The 300s do a great job but its hard to argue with the 338 rum especially for a reloader. it still costs about $2 a round to reload with premium bullets and 98.5 grains of powder every time you pull the handle.

ATTACH]

Awesome results. Big animals like elk and moose are just what that big hammer was created for. Doesn't get much better.

It's been a long time since I've had elk steak.........sure is good.

Well my 338 RUM project is getting close done.

Received my barreled actions back from Mag Na Port for their Port job.

Installed my Timney Trigger
Installed the HS pro stock ( which added some weight .....:)

Now I am waiting for my HS floorplate and Magazine to arrive

And then I will order my Tubbs Speedloc Firing Pin and Spring Kit.

Thanks for the update. Looking forward to you getting your 338 RUM finished.

JD338

JD338":1oy91hf6 said:
Thanks for the update. Looking forward to you getting your 338 RUM finished.

JD338

Yeah, same here. That 340/338 RUM are cool customers. They are certainly welcome in any elk camp I'm in :lol:

I'll be schlepping my old 338 Win Mag though :lol:

Back