338WM and 7mm Rem Mag

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
Well, I had a chance to chrono some of my final 7mm Rem Mag loads this weekend. My 338 with 74gr's of R19 and 225gr Accubonds shot at about 2820. I still have room for more, but with my BOSS set at 5.3 it put them into about 1.25 at 100 over a really shaky rest. Very happy with the speed, and the new 2.5x8 Leupold is an excellent scope for the 338. I also shot my 7mm Rem Mag with 160 Accubonds with 66gr R22 and got 3050 out of them. Great groups, and seems very consistent.

I also shot some of my 358 Win loads with IMR 4198 and 200gr HDY Spire Points and they were shooting at 2500 with good accuracy. I am still not done playing with that one, but it is plenty accurate, and should do fine for deer and such this year. I was really impressed with the 338 load though, very easy to load for and I bet with a solid rest it would be under an inch really easy, especially if I tuned the BOSS. I just put it on the factory advised setting and let it rip. I can wait to get something on the ground from the big 338. Scotty

Two great cartridges. I have a lot of experience with the 7mm Mag but not the 338Win other that 20yrs ago getting a Ruger Mk II (Tang version) and shooting some factory ammo at the range. Same with the Mk II (newer model) 338Win I have at the moment.

I will when I get back from my hunt Oct. 10th begin to develop loads for the 338Win Mag. A plus will be using it at least one day on the hunt even though it is a back up at the moment. I will write an article one the 338Win mag and present load work when I am finished.

Also, my 45 cal. Cap Lock rifle is back and the barrel is ready to go. I already have worked up loads for it using Triple-7 FFF and I will commit to carry it one day of my hunt in a very tight canyon I hunt from time to time in Arizona.

It is a 45 Cal cap lock with 31" barrel, .458" grooves and .450" lands with grooves being 50% wider than lands. I have driven a 330gr paper patch bullet 1850fps shooting 3" at 100yds with open sights. The new barrel is shooting that same load at 1 1/2-2 1/4" at 100yds with this same load and is at 1874fps.

So I have a 358win, 338win mag, and a 45 cal cap lock custom ready to go and hope that with one of these I get a shot at a black bear. Of course you guys know that I will have a ball just being in those mountains.

I am going to try and get some game down with the 338 this year. I really like the rifle alot and man, I cannot wait to see how deer react to that big AccuBond zipping through. It has been the easiest cartridge so far, for me to load for. Practically everything I put through it has been really accurate, and with the muzzle break, it is very easy to shoot. Scotty

Pictures of the 45 Cal cap lock

IMG_8519.jpg

IMG_8520.jpg

IMG_8521.jpg

IMG_8525-1.jpg

IMG_8540.jpg

IMG_8524.jpg

IMG_8522.jpg

Kepp playing with the BOSS. I use the 22AB and RL-19 as well and if memory serves me right, my BOSS setting is 5.75. Just a thought.

Thanks Rich. I plan on tuning the BOSS a little when I can get a proper bench set up. Yesterday I didn't have a real sturdy bench, just enough to get the 338 zeroed with the new scope, and get the chronograph readings. Plus, it was pretty hot yesterday. I know with some tweaking, it will really shine. Overall though, I am sure that load and setting would do for this year, if I never got another chance to shoot it. Those 225's at over 2800+ would prove pretty fatal on about anything I will hunt this year, plus, that is pretty flat shooting for such a big slug. Scotty

beretzs

Nice shooting loads, congratulations.

JD338

Tango Yankee. They are from you all. It helps alot to listen to you all, and then just put the loads together. You could spend alot of time and money, to experiment, but with the proven loads it cuts down on alot of extra money spent on stuff that "might" work. Thanks again for the heads up on the 2.5x8 VX3. That scope is awesome on the 338, and with the B&C reticle it should make for a long range hammer. Scotty

beretzs":o7oap4dj said:
Thanks again for the heads up on the 2.5x8 VX3. That scope is awesome on the 338, and with the B&C reticle it should make for a long range hammer. Scotty

That is one of my all time favorite scopes! I have used it on my 338 RUM and it has performed flawlessly. You can hold on a 6" bull at 500 yds.

JD338

You're doing well bud. Keep at it, and I agree with JD. That is a great scope!

Thanks to you all, the scope is working out great. I like the compact size with the great optics. Seems like a keeper. I have a few of the 3.5x10 VXIII's and they are great also.

I have alot of brass in the tumbler right now, so hopefully tonight I will load up some more and then get back out to the range with a solid bench and then do some shooting at the 200 yard line. Scotty

beretzs":bzotbddh said:
Thanks to you all, the scope is working out great. I like the compact size with the great optics. Seems like a keeper. I have a few of the 3.5x10 VXIII's and they are great also.

I have alot of brass in the tumbler right now, so hopefully tonight I will load up some more and then get back out to the range with a solid bench and then do some shooting at the 200 yard line. Scotty

Yes, your VX-III 2.5-8X40mm is a great scope, that is the one that I put on the 338Win mag I will be using as a back up.

I will be trying 10 rounds of the following. Why I had part of a box of 225gr Accubonds other than it being some that my brother gave me when he had a bunch of reloading stuff he did not want, other than that, I don't have any idea.

I will use 71gr of RL19 under a 225gr AccuBond with regular CCI200 primers. One of the loads I had researched to do when I start load work. If I get 1 1/2" or smaller out of the first five with good velocity I will take them hunting.

Bullet, I would think you could step up closer to 72-73gr of R19 with your 338 and be fine under the 225 Accubonds. I used 74 and have 0 pressure signs and the brass looks perfect. I have room for more and came right out at 2800+. I would imagine 73 would give you close to 2750 out of a 24 inch tube. Plus, that would be an excellent flat shooter with the high BC of the AccuBond.

Thanks for the help with the scope. It is a perfect match to my 338 and I hope to try out the rifle at some longer ranges soon. Be nice to see how the reticles line up further out. Scotty

beretzs, I have never loaded for this rifle and don't know how it's chamber will respond to loads so I prefer to begin with this load. If it is not accurate or up there in velocity I will just use the box of Remington Factory ammo for the hunt. I will have plenty of time to develop loads when I return from the hunt. But thank you for sharing your info which will come in very handy as I begin to work up loads for my 338Win when I get serious and involved with this rifle.

JD338, has really sparked my interest in the 210gr Nosler Partition which other great hunters and handloaders of the past have said is exceptional and that is where I will begin in earnest when I start load work.

Rgr, good point. I am sure 71gr will give you a useful velocity. If nothing else, you will get speeds of at least a 338-06 load, which is nothing to scoff at anyhow. Good luck, those Remington's you have look like they will work pretty well also as a standby. Scotty

I went out and did some final zeroing with my load of 74gr of R19 and the 225gr Accubonds. I had a better rest than before and turned in a few 3/4" groups at 100 yards with relative ease. I took it back to 200 and the groups remained about the same. To say I am pretty happy would be an understatement. It shot really well. I will try to get it back to 300 to really try out the B&C reticle, but I suspect it will be fine. After hunting season I will push a little more R19 into the case and see if I can get close to the 3K mark, but this is shooting really well and I haven't really messed with the BOSS yet. Can't wait to sling one of these in a deer.

I also verified my zero on my M700 35 Whelen and that turned in some very nice sub inch groups with the 225gr TSX's over 60gr of R15. It was still shooting 3" high at 100 and dead center. That is another load that really smacks big game.

I finished up load work with my sons 243, I used 41.5gr of R22 under a 100gr Partition. I didn't chronograph it, but I suspect it is near enough to 2900 to work just fine for deer out to 200 yards. Thanks again for all the help. Scotty

Thanks Mike. Hopefully I can harvest some deer with it this year. Can't make it out West due to work stuff, but it will be fun to snipe deer with it. Scotty

7mm mag .338 win and .358 win.
You have north america prety well coverd there !
I might sugjest a .257 roberts. Great fun to shoot, very deady on game and componants are not as expensive.
I am contemplating a 7 mag or a .270. fact is I have more rifles than I will ever hunt with now.
...tj3006

TJ, I have been looking at a 260Rem, 257R and the 2506 for awhile. I have a 270 as my smallest big game rifle so I would like either a 25 or a 6.5 next. I am with you, I have more rifles than I can use yearly but they are fun to shoot and I will have something for kids and grandchildren. Scotty

Back