.340WBY not coming clean? suggestions?

Sako7STW

Beginner
Nov 13, 2012
So I have been cleaning my, new to me......340 Weatherby Mag Alaskan. It has a nickel coated stainless bbl. Anyways I disassembled the gun to clean it. The bolt and inside the stock everything was very very clean. I don't think the gun was ever hunted.

The problem is, I have been working on the inside of the barrel for 6 hours now. I have ran a good 40+ patches and scrubbed the barrel with a brush 3 times. I have been using Shooters Choice patches, and then 2 patches of Sweets 7.62(or whatever the number) then coat the brush with Sweets. I then scrub for 10 strokes, then let the gun sit for 20-30 minutes. Then run more and more patches of Shooter's choice. The patches are still coming out blue. dark blue after scrubbing and then lighten up but never going clean.

So When I bought this gun I had the place scope the gun (supposedly) and they said the barrel looked great. I bought the gun sight unseen other than pictures. Like I said the gun is in fantastic shape but I am beginning to wonder if I made a mistake. I am wondering of the guy who owned the gun before me lost accuracy so he traded it. I am thinking the barrel could have been fouled because no way did someone that knows guns let this barrel get this bad.

When do I know when to stop cleaning? Is the stainless barrel having something to do with it? I have never had a stainless gun before so I don't know what to expect.

I think you're leaching copper from the brass jag and/or bronze brushes you're using. At the very least, get some nylon brushes and Tipton Uktra Jags and clean with them.

If you want it clean, without all the fuss, ditch the ammonia based stuff and order some BoreTech Eliminator. Using copper free jags and patches, you should be able to get the copper out completely.

I believe it is clean enough. I do not know if the barrel inside is nickle plated. I had rifles with such barrels and they never produced a clean patch.

The flash nickel is on the outside of the Alaskan barrels. I don't know anyone but me who ever shot their .340 enough to foul the barrel very badly!

Use some Foul-Out bore foam cleaner with their "Accelerator". Do not use bronze brushes or brass jags until you get to the bottom of the problem. You may also want to alternate your cleaning methods by using JB paste or a similar manual cleaning product between chemical cleaning. Bore fouling is generally many layers of copper/carbon/powder residue. Each may be more effectively removed by a different method.

My buddy's 340 Wby fouls like crazy too so I'm not surprised to hear the problem you are having.

JB bore paste and Kroil!
Use with the VFG pellets

Forget the brush, it only gives you a false reading with blue patches!

Trust me. I've tried a lot of products and this combo works 100% of the time.

I think the problem lies with the brush and you have her clean.
Make sure you run a light coat of oil down the bore.

JD338

Sounds like the previous owner shot a box of TSXs through it....

That's the only thing I've experienced that will copper foul that badly in relatively few rounds.

Lots of good advice on how to get it gone though. I used "Foul-Out" and got mine clean after some scrubbing with CLP.

Years ago I owned several Weatherby Mark V rifles. They would periodically experience accuracy problems that were due to stock pressure, presumably in the forearm. I've sent more than one back to the factory because of the accuracy problems.

Although my problems were always corrected by a rebedding at the factory, they told me that 95% of the rifles that are returned for accuracy problems only needed a through bore cleaning even though the owners "believed" that they had been adequately cleaning the bores.

Just something to think about.

dubyam":34jysu44 said:
I think you're leaching copper from the brass jag and/or bronze brushes you're using. At the very least, get some nylon brushes and Tipton Uktra Jags and clean with them.

If you want it clean, without all the fuss, ditch the ammonia based stuff and order some BoreTech Eliminator. Using copper free jags and patches, you should be able to get the copper out completely.

I'm with Dubyam.

I have the exact same rifle and no such problems. However, I've seen this also with bronze brushes or brass jags. Get rid of those and your problems disappear.

Wipe Out should do the job for you. Spray in barrel let sit for 3-4 hours push patch through and if it comes out dirty repeat. You can let it sit for 10-12 hours if you want.

P.S.

None of these magic cleaners will help you at all if the problem is your tools. :wink:

I have used Wipeout for a number of years and it has always done the job for me. I would go to using nylon brush and none brass jags as well. After cleaning it I would then start using Butch's Bore shine, I was given this prescription by our good Doctor :mrgreen:

Blessings,
Dan

I posted this as a follow up over at the Weatherby Nation and thought I would here as well. Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Ok I will be more specific on my cleaning. Yes I have a one piece coated Dewey rod. Unfortunately I have a brass jag right now but will be looking for a new one. I used both a brass brush and a Nylon. Nylon only after the first scrubbing. I don't use a slotted tip and only patches in one direction. I use a bore guide ALWAYS.

So anyways, I had some family functions I had to attend so I soaked the bore in Kroil for a good 24+ hours. Ran the brass brush a few times. Clean patched 3 times. Then patched again 2 times with sweets. Let it sit for 5 minutes, Clean patched twice (no blue showing). Patched twice with Shooters Choice, Ran 4 clean patches, then patched twice with rem oil to rinse bore. Then one clean patch then one patch of Rem Oil to treat barrel for now.

Now it is on to mounting the new scope. I am doing a review on the scope and a new install kit from High Power Optics. I will post it here, the Nation, and Long Range hunting. Some good info.

Well put me in the wipeout and nickle plated tools wagon. I cut my patch use in half with nickle plated jags.

hodgeman":3qqblqin said:
Sounds like the previous owner shot a box of TSXs through it....

As a guy that used to shoot the TSX, that is funny! Good bullets, but man they require some work to clean.

I am betting if you ran some Iosso along with Kroil soaked patch, you would get it clean, right down to metal clean. After you have scrubbed it clean of carbon, a little Bore Tech Eliminator would clean up any copper left behind. Might take a few tries to get it out, but it will come out.

Back