35 Newton loads

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
Well, I figured I would load some rounds up for the Newton. Picked a relatively mid point load of 77 grains of RL17, CCI250, and some 225 grain Sierra Game Kings. I loaded them to a OAL of 3.330". That measurement is about .010" off the rifling and man, they feed slick through the rifle. Depending on the actual H20 capacity of the Newton, I am looking at 2800-2900 with this load with the 225.. That's not throttling real hard on anything at all.

35 Newton next to the Whelen

I gotta tell ya, I am getting excited to touch this rifle off. Waiting on some mounts and rings, but I do have a loaner scope, Woody let me borrow.

Figure the Sierra's will be good bullets to use up to break the barrel in a little, and get some properly fireformed cases. All in all, this is looking like alot of fun.

...let me know afore ya touch that thing off, so's I can stick me figgers in me ears...

Very cool Scotty. I have never looked at the 375 Ruger case, but from your picture I'd say the 30-06 length and the bodies taper looks good for smooth feeding and extraction.

Oh the fun of a new toy!

Looking good Scotty! How about taking some pics of them with a loaded 35 Whelen for comparison.

Boy I need my glasses changed, you already did that. :oops:

Should be able to load it around 200 fps faster than the 35 Whelen with the same bullet weight, sounds like a perfect round to sling heavy 358 cal bullets although any premium bullet from the 200 gr AB on up would do well and shoot pretty flat.

That load is galloping, man. It should slam a moose to the ground (or an elk, or a grizzly, or a deer, or an antelope, or...). :grin:

I would far prefer the 35 Newton over the 375 Ruger I have, the 358 Norma would be pretty much identical in performance to it as well. Looking forward to seeing how your load development goes. A 225 gr AccuBond at 2900-3000 fps would be one heck of a great all around load.....throw in some 250 gr Partitions at over 2800 fps for crushing grizzlies and moose and now you're talking :)

Thanks fellas I'm really looking forward to firing this set up.

They feed really slick fellas. It should be really nice overall. Thinking an easy 2900 with 225's and 2800 with 250's.

Plus, when I can Gerry, I'm going to give the 275 Woodleighs or 280 Swifts a try. Thinking an easy 2600 with either of those. That would be a fearsome bear and moose smasher.

A .35 cal, 275 or 280 gr bullet at 2600 ish fps... A bear & moose masher you think?

Yeah Buddy! :mrgreen:

ruger should chamber a rifle for 35 Newton-since they already are making the 375ruger(ruger) I think a 35 newton would sell better than a 375-just my 2 cents

Man that sure looks like a serious cartridge and just when I thought that I would be happy with my whelen forever and a coons age you go and put those pictures up and guys start talking about what it will do and what speeds you can get and so on. Well will have to put that on my wish list for now so I don't get divorced, really really want a black ram rifle by RMR but so far have been shutdown on that by the Mrs she is starting to think I might have enough rifles now. Scotty you are one lucky fellow.

Overlap will drive you insane come deer/elk season!

Back