35 Whelan?

remingtonman_25_06

Handloader
Nov 17, 2005
A good friend of mine is going to drop off his Nosler Outfitter 35 Whelan to me in a couple weeks to do some load development with the 225g AB. I've never loaded for one so I'm asking what the top 2 powders for it would typically be for the best accuracy and velocity? I know there are a few 35 whelan fans in here. Thanks!

Top powder for the 35 Whelen is
RL-15 for 225-250 gr bullets.

JD338

With 225's and heavier look at CFE 223, H 4895, Varget and of course RL 15. Speer shows some data with their bullets using newer Alliant powders that is extremely impressive.

The Power Pro Varmint looks amazing with the 220/225 weight class. I’ve got some PP2000. Hopefully this winter I’ll get a chance to monkey with them.

15 and a 225 AB will do over 2700 pretty easily and man, they’re accurate in my old Remington.

Those Nosler Outfitter rifles seem like a really nice gun, hope you show us how your load development goes. Always nice to see how you do load development.

I'll keep ya guys posted for sure. Dont know if I'm going to do a ladder or just do 3 shot groups in .5g increments to start with. He says it shoots pretty good, just doesnt have the time to really do any load development and get it dialed in out to 500 yards like he wants. He has a VX3 4-14x on top. Not sure if it's a CDS dial or target knobs, but either way I'll get it done. Hes going to give me my old 700 .222 Rem with dies/brass as payment that I sold him about 10 years ago. He said it just sits in his safe the last 5 years and doesnt have time to load for it anymore. It's a great shooting rifle, one I wished I never would've sold, so I'm super happy to get it back haha. A 222 deserves to be out in the field calling dogs or shooting ground squirrels, not locked in a safe!

My vote is for RE15. First powder I tried for my .35 Whelen and 2710 FPS with half inch groups with the 225 gr. Barnes TSX. Never saw the need to look any further.
Paul B.

Thanks for the info guys. I guess hes been using Varget with good results thus far, but hes going to try and locate some RL15 as well. From my research, and what you guys are saying, it looks like these 2 powders are amongst the top choices for the Whelan.

Both Varget and RL 15 should get you to over 2700 fps pretty easily. In my old Whelen Nosler's max load of Varget got me to 2760 fps from a 22" barrel. Using RL 15 and the 225 gr AB in my current gun but I should try Varget in it just to see how it does.

It's rare to get a gun back that got away on you so that's great it's coming home again. Those older 700's in 222 Rem are a classic combination and just seem right together. Be neat to see the old girl when she comes home again.

Perfect! Hes hoping for 2700fps and 1/2-3/4 MOA, which shouldn't be to hard to achieve in the nosler rifle.

I picked up some IMR4198, a 250 pack of 40g VMAX, set of talley lightweights I had laying around, and got a new Nikon 3-9x BDC for the triple deuce when she gets here, so I'll be ready to go. It also comes with the RCBS FL dies and 500 brass I gave him with the rifle, so I'll have enough brass for a lifetime and several 222 barrels...It shot the 4198/40g vmax at 3500fps into the .2s and .3s routinely, which ain't bad for a sporter weight rifle, and killed about 20 dogs for me over the call when I owned it. Super excited to get it back. One doesnt sell a 1/4 MOA without any regrets haha.

I was easily able to get the Speer velocities from my rifle using PP2000 and 250s.

Back