35 Whelen AI

lanman":1koynbgw said:
truck driver":1koynbgw said:
Here's what caught my eye (quote) in QL.

Step% -02.0 Fill% 106 Charge grains 70.56 Vel fps 2913 Energy ft lbs 4240
P-Max psi 58489 P-Muz %8604 Prop Burnt MS 99.9 B_Time 1.132

Would I ever try that load? Probably not but you have to admit it is interesting.

I'm very curious to know if it is even possible to put 70 grains or RL-17 in a 35WAI case....
I run 67 grains in my standard Whelen case.. and that is a case FULL!!

I am also considering a new barrel and an AI'd chamber, so I am interested in what you get out of yours.

I don't mean to high jack this but my 35 WhelenAI cases with hold more than 70gr R-17.

30-338,
I'm intrigued.
If you don't mind, what do they hold and what load do you like with yours?

Dwh7271":160re8pk said:
30-338,
I'm intrigued.
If you don't mind, what do they hold and what load do you like with yours?

Yup, I'd like to know too.. I happen to have a Whelen laying around I could be talked into "playing" with....

SJB358,Dwh7271, I fire formed using Rem 35 Whelen brass. I filled couple cases just to see how much it would hold up to case mouth using R-17. I could get 74gr/R-17 using long drop tube.

My hunting load I use R-15 with 225gr AB and to case mouth it hold 70gr/R-15.

Barrel is a Kreiger with 1/14 twist barrel @ 24".

The M70 is on it's way to Cottage Grove Or. With any luck I should have it back by mid June or so.

truck driver":2vwtsg13 said:
The M70 is on it's way to Cottage Grove Or. With any luck I should have it back by mid June or so.

Nice, that has to be fairly exciting. I wouldn't be surprised if you have it back in less that 10-12 days. He is usually pretty quick about that stuff..

It will take 14 days round trip just for shipping at least that is what Fedex said. :(

Got ya. I would bet that is the outside of their estimate. They are usually fairly decent as long as weather doesn't tie them up..

Should be great when you get it back, will be neat to see how it shoots. What bullets are you thinking of trying?

gerry":3ri3ddwv said:
Should be great when you get it back, will be neat to see how it shoots. What bullets are you thinking of trying?
I've got a good selection to work with.
200gr Hornady, 200gr AB, 225gr Sierra GK, 225gr AB, 250gr PT and 250 gr Speer Hot core. Need to get some 225gr PT so I have the full line.

Yeah Buddy! And I talked to Jesse today and he has the rifle and will start on it tomorrow and will be done by the end of the week so I should have it back sometime next week. (y)

Cool. That is pretty quick turn around, beats the long wait times for a full custom job.

Rodger, that is great news I think we are all looking forward to seeing how this AI is going to shoot.
The selection of bullets you are accumulating will handle just about all your hunting situations :wink:.
Looking forward to your range reports with photos (y)!

Blessings,
Dan

Are you going to run a bunch of tight JB patches through it before you fire it? I am not sure just how much "lapping" would be accomplished doing this? It may clean up some tool marks, sharp edges. Of course, it may shoot like a match rifle first outing! (y)

I'd think a good scrubbing with JB's or Iosso wouldn't hurt anything. It can only help smooth it up a little bit. Mine surely benefited from the work.

Back