35 Whelen and RL15

RogueRiver

Handloader
Mar 13, 2005
Is it just me or was the load for rel 15 with 250 grn bullet, taking less powder I 'm refering to newer load manuals. It looks like 200 and 225 are the same. 59.5 w 200 grn bullet, 59 grns of rl15 w/ 225 grn , and 53 grns with 250 grn bullet. Or am I just imaging things. I'm at work so cant check my loads.

You aren't imagining, the data for 250's is badly under powered. If you want to see even more weak data check out Speer's loads with RL 15 and 250's.

I would guess that they are still afraid of someone using a old Mauser or Springfield wild cat custom and you also have the Remington 760 and I'm not sure if Remington chambered the 742 in 35 Whelen. They would probably go nuts if they knew what I was loading in the 35 Whelen AI. I had Sierra refuse to give me a starting load for their 225gr GK for the 35 Whelen AI when I first started shooting it.

RogueRiver":ftsiq3u5 said:
http://fmgpublications.ipaperus.com/FMGPublications/GUNS/GUNS1113/?page=26 chart on reloading data in this article has 59 grn of rl15 for 250 grn.

I have a lot of respect for ol' John Barsness. Should be good info if he worked it up. (y)

Guy

Guy Miner":upoxyc0r said:
RogueRiver":upoxyc0r said:
http://fmgpublications.ipaperus.com/FMGPublications/GUNS/GUNS1113/?page=26 chart on reloading data in this article has 59 grn of rl15 for 250 grn.

I have a lot of respect for ol' John Barsness. Should be good info if he worked it up. (y)

Guy

I've used a few of those and they are excellent. I use 59-60 grains of R15 with 250's for 2600 and 60-61 grains of RL15 with 225's for 2750. Either load is very accurate and hit incredibly hard.

RogueRiver":1ry11c07 said:

Thanks for posting that..I have a Savage Trophy Hunter XP in 30-06 that I'm sending to Jesse Ocumpaugh to chamber and bore to 35 Whelen.

Isn't it exceptionally easy to re-barrel a Savage at home? One of my buddies here in town puts a new barrel on his every few thousand rounds. He's just got a normal garage with normal do-it-yourself type tools. And a headspace gauge.

Guy

Guy Miner":2pqgcnyu said:
Isn't it exceptionally easy to re-barrel a Savage at home? One of my buddies here in town puts a new barrel on his every few thousand rounds. He's just got a normal garage with normal do-it-yourself type tools. And a headspace gauge.

Guy
Yes, it's simple to do a Savage at home..all you really need is a barrel nut wrench and a way to clamp the action...I've down it twice before but the blue on the receiver and new barrel didn't match and ended up getting the guns blued so the barrel and action matched and for what Jesse charges, it's about the same as buying a new barrel.

JES rebores are pretty danged good. I'm sure they aren't quite like a well tuned and blueprinted Krieger, Brux or etc...

Rodger I have a hunting buddy that shoots the Remington Auto-loader in the 35 Whelen he shoot factory Remington 250gr. corelocks and he has taken a couple of real nice Elk with that rifle.

Blessings,
Dan

I'm shooting that same load, 59.0 grs RL15 and a 250 gr PT in my 700 Classic 22" barrel and
getting 2575 fps with sub MOA accuracy. It's a hammer.

JD338

Back