35 whelen dies (or most any caliber)

KeithInGeorgia

Beginner
Feb 11, 2011
I've reloaded a few hundred 35 whelen rounds with RCBS dies. I also reload for several calibers and only use RCBS dies. I have no complaints with the RCBS dies, but I have no experience with other brands of dies.

In my search for max accuracy I've turned to dies. Does anybody have experience with one brand of dies being better than another? Is there a "best" die?

no such things a best only opinions. IMO the rcbs competeinion dies set is the KING. Micrometer adjustable seating stem with a bullet loading window that allows you to just raise the arme of the press to touch the die and insert buttlet. no more holding/balancing the bullet on the case mouth as you raise the arm. Thiese dies arre accurate and simple. What more can you want :)

I have stated on several occasions that I prefer Forster dies. Do they make "better" ammunition? Not really; I just prefer them. I turn out some very accurate ammunition using Lee and Lyman dies. I have a number of RCBS and Redding dies as well. I've used Hornady dies. All made good ammunition when I took the time to set them up correctly and was careful in the hand loading process to ensure reproducibility. I will say for RCBS that they are a classy company. Should you ever have a problem, you'll appreciate their professional, and generous attitude toward you, the customer.

I have mostly all RCBS dies, but have recently started buying more Redding and Forster. I like the Reddings for the cost, but the Forsters seem to be really well made and turn out hunting accurate loads for me. Then again, I have not had an issue with any set of dies. I will echo Mikes comments that Redding and RCBS have excellent customer service should you ever need it.

Love the Whelen. Congrats on choosing a awesome classic! Scotty

Most of my dies are RCBS and their customer service is second to none! I also have Hornady and Redding and they work well too.
For accuracy, they all will work well. Its the proper set up along with the right load in a rifle that has the ability to be accurate. From that point, it becomes the shooter.

JD338

Back