35 whelen loads

truck driver

Ammo Smith
Mar 11, 2013
Ok since I have my donor and plan on having it rebored to 35 Whelen what powder and bullets work best in the Whelen?

Lots of great combinations the ones that I have had excellent results in the past are:

Varget with the 200gr AccuBond - 61 gr - 2810 fps
Varget with the 225 gr AccuBond - 60 gr - 2763 fps
Varget with the 225 gr TSX - 58 gr - 2685 fps
AA 2015 with a whole pile of different 225 gr bullets all in the 53-53.5 gr range - 2700 fps +/-
IMR 8208 with the 200 gr AccuBond - 57 gr - 2840 fps.
IMR 8208 with the 200 gr TTSX - 56 gr - 2840 fps.

All the above were at 1" or less groups in my guns, I used a lot of RL 15 in the past with excellent results but prefer Varget and IMR 8208 these days. Good luck with your new gun when it is ready.

Thanks Gerry I'm going to have to do a Fotis and go shopping. :)
I see AA 2015 seems to be very versatile.
What are those blemished bullets that Midway sales?

You're welcome, I'm sure the other 35 Whelen users will post up their loads when they see this. If you check out Accurate's loading data for the 35 Whelen they will recommend a lower charge than 53.5 gr of AA 2015, that used to be their old load but then they retested it but instead of 50,000 CUP they accidentally maxed it out at 50,000 PSI instead which is pretty mild. I guess they never fixed it since it is still that way.

Nosler shows a lot of different powders working well in the Whelen.

http://www.nosler.com/35-whelen

Those blemished bullets at Midway are Hornady Spire Points which are good for deer sized game. My NEF 35 Whelen shots them quite well with Varget actually can't remember the exact charge though. Just checked the NEF gun really likes the 225 gr Sierra with 57 gr Varget, never got the speed on that load yet.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/486447 ... k-packaged

Hey TD, I have only shot one bullet out of my 35 Whelen that is the 225gr. AB over top of 60.0grs of RL-15 my MOA is right around .5 to .6 .
I have a 24" PacNor barrel on my RMR.
I believe the fps is around 2775 I will check that for you tomorrow.
I am happy to see another one joining the family :wink:

Blessings,
Dan

Thanks Dan, you guys are very persuasive. Actually I wanted one when it was made a standard round but couldn't afford another rifle at that time and like everything else you put aside it takes time to come full circle.

sask boy":37gp6y4y said:
Hey TD, I have only shot one bullet out of my 35 Whelen that is the 225gr. AB over top of 60.0grs of RL-22 my MOA is right around .5 to .6 .
I have a 24" PacNor barrel on my RMR.
I believe the fps is around 2775 I will check that for you tomorrow.
I am happy to see another one joining the family :wink:

Blessings,
Dan

I bet Dan meant RL15 in the above...

Either way, RL15, Varget, IMR4320, IMR4064, Ramshot TAC and a HOST of others like Gerry mentioned will work well.

I run 60 grains of RL15 with a 250 PT, CCI250 and RP case. Runs about 2640 outta my CDL.

Also run 61 grains of RL15 with the 225 AB, CCI250, RP case. Runs about 2740 out of my CDL

Also, have shot the 225 Barnes TSX, with 60 grains of RL15, CCI250, RP case. That runs right at 2700 as well.

Another fun deer wacker is IMR4064, 200 grain Hornady, CCIBR2, RP case, and about 2850 from my rifle. Very accurate as well.

All of these are MOA or so outta my rifle. Haven't seen many Whelen's that don't shoot well, with any decent powder.

Thanks Scotty, Looking to see what I need to stock up on when I find it available.

truck driver":s3eepr2l said:
Thanks Scotty, Looking to see what I need to stock up on when I find it available.

200 AB's

225 AB's or PT's

250 PT's or 250 grain Speer HotCors.. Those bullets will do everything that can be done with a Whelen. If your just hammering deer, the 200 AB would be a bomb blast to them I think. Get whatever you can, for the least money. They all work well at Whelen speeds I think.

My go to load for my custom Mauser is 60.4 gr. of Re15 and the 225 gr. Barnes TSX. I've worked up to 59.0 gr. of Re15 with the Nosler AB and PT and now have to tinke with seating depth with those two bullets.
The TSX load is too hot for use in my Remington M700 Classic and Ruger M77. However, 53.0 gr. H335 has proven to be a fairly decent load with the Speer 250 gr. Hot-Core and the Hornady 50 gr. Spire point and round nose bullet in all three .35 Whelen rifles. Velocity runs in the 2550 FPS range and groups right round 1.25" I got that load from an article by Paco Kelly. You can find it here.

http://www.35cal.com/

Some of the stuff might be a bit dated but still interesting.
Paul B.

My one and only load is the 225 AB over 57 grains of RL-15 CCI-200 primer in resized Winchester 30-06 brass. This was the first bullet I tried when I got my Whelen and bingo first loads were exactly what I was looking for. Funny though I have the same rifle as Scotty a 700 CDL with a 24" barrel and I am getting the same speeds he is with 4 grains less powder. I have been so happy with this load I have not even thought of trying to work up to a higher powder charge I am going with the if it ain't broke don't fix it motif for this rifle. I traded some bullets with Gerry a while back and will give them a try one of these days if my life ever slows down enough to start playing with loads again. Just wait till you see what the whelen does to game when that big bullet hits home you will be hooked for life.

I have an older custom M98 in a High Tech stock as well that likes the 225 TSX behind 56.5 gr. of H4895, F210M and RP brass @ 3.3225"-3.3250" coal. It's a little heavy for the powder charge but within the velocity range; I averaged around 2625-2630 fps 20' from the muzzle using a 24" bbl.

gerry":2rw7w0cb said:
You may have seen this posted about a month ago but here is a good article by John Barsness.

http://fmgpublications.ipaperus.com/FMG ... 3/?page=26

It is hard to beat a good 225 gr bullet for all around use but 200 and 250 gr bullets still will work well. I like the 200 gr AB, 200 gr TTSX, 225 gr Partition and 225 gr AB the best, but there are a lot of other good choices.

I hadn't seen that article Gerry. Thanks for putting it up.

Haven't messed with TAC in the Whelen, but it looks real good if you can find it. Always heard it should be real good.

gerry":31sky108 said:
You may have seen this posted about a month ago but here is a good article by John Barsness.

http://fmgpublications.ipaperus.com/FMG ... 3/?page=26

It is hard to beat a good 225 gr bullet for all around use but 200 and 250 gr bullets still will work well. I like the 200 gr AB, 200 gr TTSX, 225 gr Partition and 225 gr AB the best, but there are a lot of other good choices.

Great article, Gerry. Barsness provides some good insight in his writing, and he did so again.

Yes my mistake, I am shooting 225gr. ABs over top of RL-15!!
Sorry about the misinformation not smrt :(

Blessings,
Dan

Ah Dan someone always has your back here, That's what I like about this forum plus they are nice about it :wink:.
The Guns mag article is a good read for sure Thanks for posting the link Gerry.

gerry":3lubfc16 said:
Lots of great combinations the ones that I have had excellent results in the past are:
Varget with the 225 gr AccuBond - 60 gr - 2763 fps

This is what I ended up using based off sugestions from the guys here for a relatives 35 and it worked wonderful.

If I remember right it was for your uncle, was he able to connect on an elk this year?

TD,

The best powders for the 35 Whelen are IMR 4064, AA2015 and RL 15.

JD338

Back