35 Whelen reload suggestions

George_Grant

Beginner
Dec 30, 2017
I have a new 750 Remington Carbine (18.5" barrel)chambered in 35 Whelen. I plan on handloading some 250 grn bullets. I'm looking for any suggestions for loads that might work well in this autoloader.
What would be the best powder for this short barrel?
Thanks... GCG

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

I would suggest loads that are with in factory velocity limits since it is an auto loader and the gas system is regulated for factory ammo. 200gr bullets somewhere around 2700fps and 250gr around 2500fps which would be max for the gas system. I say this so you have reliable function with out jams and failures to feed properly.

I agree with Truck Driver. Varget and H or IMR-4895 would be good powders to look.

Add RL 15 and IMR 8208 to the powders mentioned already, lots of powders will work in the Whelen. I have never loaded for an autoloader but I can't see why you can't use any of the suggested powders.

Welcome to the forum BTW.

gerry":74off9uo said:
Add RL 15 and IMR 8208 to the powders mentioned already, lots of powders will work in the Whelen. I have never loaded for an autoloader but I can't see why you can't use any of the suggested powders.

Welcome to the forum BTW.
Thanks Jerry, I have only loaded for .270, 06, 257AI and .243, all bolts.
Not looking for velocity, as been suggested I'd likely stick closely to Remington tailor mades.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

RL15 has always worked amazing for me. I have been using a little H4895 for the 225 Sierras in my 7600, but the bolt gun has always been fed a steady diet of RL15.

I’d bet if you stick with book loads you won’t have much trouble at all.

Back