35 Whelen

Scotty that newton of yours really has my attention via accuracy and speed. I have got to stay off this site or I'm going to end up with some form of a 35 newton AI ultra mag. :lol:

Bill, the Newton is pretty easy to do. 375 Ruger gets necked down and the shoulder moves a bit but other than that it’s easy.

Those big 358/366’s are pretty neat.

OU812":27kb87xb said:
Scotty that newton of yours really has my attention via accuracy and speed. I have got to stay off this site or I'm going to end up with some form of a 35 newton AI ultra mag. :lol:
Hmmm what about a .358 Norma? that might get your attention for both speed and recoil.
I think it is based off a 338wm case necked up to .358 though I'm not sure and factory ammo is still available if you can find it. I was thinking about it before I got the 35/AI.
Scotty is right about the 35whelen/AI in that if you load it to 58kpsi you see no real gain but when you get to 62kpsi is when it starts to shine.

I’ve contemplated the 358 Norma a little but Mike already beat me to it!

The Newton has about 10 grains or so on the 358 but not enough to really change much in the grand scheme of things. I do like those big 35’s though. It all started with the Whelen though.

I’ve sorta thought a little about a 9.3/300 Wby just to be a little different. :twisted:

SJB358":1pokr86z said:
I’ve contemplated the 358 Norma a little but Mike already beat me to it!

The Newton has about 10 grains or so on the 358 but not enough to really change much in the grand scheme of things. I do like those big 35’s though. It all started with the Whelen though.

I’ve sorta thought a little about a 9.3/300 Wby just to be a little different. :twisted:
Ouch and more Ouch. How about a 9.3X68mm? I think DrMike has one of these or is it a 8X68mm.

I shot the 225 AB for a few years on Whitetail deer here in Tennessee. Switched over to the 225 PT about 2 years ago as POI is the same. I'm using RL-15, getting 2,677 fps. Love the gun, its brings the hammer down on deer. I'm sure it would be equally deadly on Elk too!!

Don

DON":q2vdlw3u said:
I shot the 225 AB for a few years on Whitetail deer here in Tennessee. Switched over to the 225 PT about 2 years ago as POI is the same. I'm using RL-15, getting 2,677 fps. Love the gun, its brings the hammer down on deer. I'm sure it would be equally deadly on Elk too!!

Don

Oh yeah, it’s an elk crusher of the first order.

truck driver":1jojjtm9 said:
OU812":1jojjtm9 said:
Hmmm what about a .358 Norma? that might get your attention for both speed and recoil.
I think it is based off a 338wm case necked up to .358 though I'm not sure and factory ammo is still available if you can find it. I was thinking about it before I got the 35/AI.
Scotty is right about the 35whelen/AI in that if you load it to 58kpsi you see no real gain but when you get to 62kpsi is when it starts to shine.

I 've often given thought to a 358 STA.

Bill,

Beautiful rifle and she definitely is a shooter.
I have a vintage 1988 700 Classic 35 Whelen with a 22" 1:16 barrel. Here are a few loads...
M700 Classic 35 Whelen
-225 gr PT 58.0 grs IMR 4064 R-P case GM210M primer .450"
-225 gr PT 54.0 grs AA2015BR R-P case GM210M primer .750"
-225 gr AB 59.0 grs RL15 R-P case GM210M primer
MV 2648 fps ES 17 SD 8 sub MOA
-250 gr PT 52.0 grs AA2015BR
MV 2476 fps sub MOA
-250 gr PT 59.0 grs RL15
MV 2575 fps sub MOA

Hope this helps you out buddy.

JD338

OU812":2yt1gvd2 said:
truck driver":2yt1gvd2 said:
OU812":2yt1gvd2 said:

I 've often given thought to a 358 STA.

Same here. It’s a complete beast. The Newton won’t leave too much on the table though especially if you can see those thumb sized Bullets out a bit.

Just today, I was trying to decide what to take to Idaho as my back up rifle for elk season. The Sako 300 WSM with 200 AB is my primary rifle. Today was loading up a few more 338 WM to take to the range tomorrow morning. Was originally thinking the back up would be a Sako 338 WM or a Black Sako Finnlight in 30-06 or even a 338 Marlin Express lever gun.

But after reading all this, went and pulled out the Tikka that JES bored to a 35 Whelen for me. Shoots 225gr partitions well and is very packable.

Too many choices. I guess that is a good problem. Any of them will hammer an elk.

orchemo":1dk1e879 said:
Just today, I was trying to decide what to take to Idaho as my back up rifle for elk season. The Sako 300 WSM with 200 AB is my primary rifle. Today was loading up a few more 338 WM to take to the range tomorrow morning. Was originally thinking the back up would be a Sako 338 WM or a Black Sako Finnlight in 30-06 or even a 338 Marlin Express lever gun.

But after reading all this, went and pulled out the Tikka that JES bored to a 35 Whelen for me. Shoots 225gr partitions well and is very packable.

Too many choices. I guess that is a good problem. Any of them will hammer an elk.

Couldn't make an argument for any of your back up choices. It's good to have options that's for sure.

Orchemo you must of read my post as I said before we have a couple of 35 Whelen enablers on this sight :lol:.
I used my 270win for all my big game hunting and seemed to keep my freezer relatively full and then I happen onto this site since then I now believe I have quadrupled my rifle collection (y). My wife knows that everyone that I have purchased was because of the pressure I have felt here :mrgreen:!!
Anyway that 35 Whelen you are taking as a back up will do you well :wink:.

Blessings,
Dan

sask boy":2psrivmk said:
Orchemo you must of read my post as I said before we have a couple of 35 Whelen enablers on this sight :lol:.
I used my 270win for all my big game hunting and seemed to keep my freezer relatively full and then I happen onto this site since then I now believe I have quadrupled my rifle collection (y). My wife knows that everyone that I have purchased was because of the pressure I have felt here :mrgreen:!!
Anyway that 35 Whelen you are taking as a back up will do you well :wink:.

Blessings,
Dan
Like Dan I was very content with my 30-06 before coming here and avoided the magnum cartridges till the past couple of years and have collected 3 of them.
I always want a 35 Whelen long before I came here and this forum just raised the desire a little higher and I bought one from an ex-member. I found found a cheap M70 on GB and was planing on using it as a donor for a 338-06 but the 35Wehlen I bought though very accurate just didn't ring my bell so I sent the M70 off to have it rebored to 358 and decide to get the chamber cut for the Ackely version so I could shoot either one threw it. Funny once I started loading for the Ackely I have never considered using anything else in it and it just seemed like it was a magic wand in my hands and shot every thing I loaded in it into small little groups and the velocity increase was just a bonus for me. I carried it last year the first part of the two weeks I was in Montana last season and felt very confident in it out to 400yds after checking the zero on the range at the outfitters. 225gr PTs will do an awful lot of damage to an animal at 2800fps.

Spent some range time this morning. I had not shot the Tikka 35 Whelen for a couple years, forgot how well it shot. 225gr Partitions behind a load of RL-15 and accuracy was as expected from a Tikka (even though it was reviews by JES).

The Tikka will be making the trip.

orchemo":30bqwsru said:
Spent some range time this morning. I had not shot the Tikka 35 Whelen for a couple years, forgot how well it shot. 225gr Partitions behind a load of RL-15 and accuracy was as expected from a Tikka (even though it was reviews by JES).

The Tikka will be making the trip.

Sounds like a soild choice to me.

Back