35 Whelen

I've got a 1-10 twist #3 Krieger sitting in the safe right now, waiting to get mated up to my M70 for my 35 Newton. That is a rifle that has just worn me out a little and this time around I am going to try and do it up correctly.

The M700 Whelen needs some LOP and a trigger and I might be able to get that one back out and into the hunting fields.. Good rifle but I hunted it quite alot when I first got it, but it deserves to keep hunting..

What is the length of the new barrel, 24? Isnt a 35 usually a 1:14 or 1:16? Why a 1:10? I really like the sounds of your 35 newton. If my whelen did not shoot I was going to talk with you about making a newton. But in all fairness to me boredom might convince me to do a 35 newton anyway.

Bill,

You have a winner in that rifle and load. I do love those 35s; they are sleepers that just keep on producing for those who recognise their quality.

Bill that 35 Whelen is Sweet :wink:, hmm but I am not sure how you are going to manage with that bolt being on the wrong side :shock:.
I have only shot one load out of my 35 Whelen and that is 225gr. ABs over top of RL15 it has been absolutely deadly on Elk and Moose :mrgreen:.
I am getting almost 2800fps out of my RMR with a 24" PacNor barrel and a 1-14" twist.
I will post a photo or two from my Iphone as I don't know how to post from my computer :(.

Blessings,
Dan

Bill here are a couple of photos! I hope this works :oops:.

Attachments

• 0348864A-AEA3-4127-B4ED-A67524EF7826.jpeg
    0348864A-AEA3-4127-B4ED-A67524EF7826.jpeg
    662 KB · Views: 782
  • 1ADDB8D9-F07B-47D6-AEAF-8F257CD4B0C1.jpeg
    1ADDB8D9-F07B-47D6-AEAF-8F257CD4B0C1.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 780
OU812":21xkd3s6 said:
What is the length of the new barrel, 24? Isnt a 35 usually a 1:14 or 1:16? Why a 1:10? I really like the sounds of your 35 newton. If my whelen did not shoot I was going to talk with you about making a newton. But in all fairness to me boredom might convince me to do a 35 newton anyway.
The 1-10" or 1-12" twist handles the heavier bullets a little better.

When Remington started to factory distribute the 35 Whelen I believe they went with a 1-16” twist and their model 700s shot the 250gr bullets fairly accurately.
I personal had my barrel made by PacNor and went with a 1-14” and though I have never shot the 250grs bullet out of my rifle I am sure it would do it without any problem of stabilization.
How ever if I was to build this same rifle again I would go with the 1-12” and never worry about what I loaded from 180gr. to 300gr :wink:.

Blessings,
Dan

sask boy":25byye3s said:
When Remington started to factory distribute the 35 Whelen I believe they went with a 1-16” twist and their model 700s shot the 250gr bullets fairly accurately.
I personal had my barrel made by PacNor and went with a 1-14” and though I have never shot the 250grs bullet out of my rifle I am sure it would do it without any problem of stabilization.
How ever if I was to build this same rifle again I would go with the 1-12” and never worry about what I loaded from 180gr. to 300gr :wink:.

Blessings,
Dan
The 1-12" is the way to go. When I had my 35/AI barrel made I went with 1-12" and it has handled all bullet weights I have fired in it very well with extreme accuracy.

sask boy":2an0verv said:
Bill here are a couple of photos! I hope this works :oops:.

All I can say damn (y) . Not sure which is more impressive, the looks of the rifle or the group it shoots.

sask boy":e6xrub3h said:
Bill that 35 Whelen is Sweet :wink:, hmm but I am not sure how you are going to manage with that bolt being on the wrong side :shock:.
I have only shot one load out of my 35 Whelen and that is 225gr. ABs over top of RL15 it has been absolutely deadly on Elk and Moose :mrgreen:.
I am getting almost 2800fps out of my RMR with a 24" PacNor barrel and a 1-14" twist.
I will post a photo or two from my Iphone as I don't know how to post from my computer :(.

Blessings,
Dan

Thanks Dan I like it so far. You know what you're right the bolt is on the wrong side, for a lefty that is. :lol:

Just so you know we have a 35 Whelen enabler on this site :shock: his initials are DrMike :mrgreen: the photo of my rifle was taken at his house when gerry & I were there Moose hunting all 3 of us were carrying 35 Whelens for the hunt (y).

Blessings,
Dan

sask boy":3loogaeo said:
Just so you know we have a 35 Whelen enabler on this site :shock: his initials are DrMike :mrgreen: the photo of my rifle was taken at his house when gerry & I were there Moose hunting all 3 of us were carrying 35 Whelens for the hunt (y).

Blessings,
Dan

Don't blame me for your predilection (aka "disease"). You are the one who drank the Kool-Aid. :mrgreen:

DrMike":5edvjxc2 said:
sask boy":5edvjxc2 said:

Blessings,
Dan

Don't blame me for your predilection (aka "disease"). You are the one who drank the Kool-Aid. :mrgreen:

Looks to me Dan may have chugged it rather than merely drinking it. :lol: I have to admit that kool aid does taste might good if I do say so myself.

You really haven't drank it till you run a Ackely reamer into the chamber and watch it come to life.:)>)

truck driver":3oq33ka1 said:
You really haven't drank it till you run a Ackely reamer into the chamber and watch it come to life.:)>)

How much gain is there going AI?

You can run a 200gr AB safely to over 3000fps with the right powder and 225s to close to 2900fps or just a tad over. I could run it to 64kpsi in my rifle and not have any problems but chose to hold it down to 62kpsi to save my brass and rifle. Ackely cartridges don't show pressure signs till it's too late and you have the dragon by the tail. There's no bolt thrust or brass flow so you never need to trim your brass after the initial fire forming and you can shoot factory ammo in it if you run out.
My favorite 200gr AB load ran 2902fps out of a 24" barrel and group size measured .368" X .404"
I settled on accuracy over speed.

Sounds like the AI version is something to consider.

OU812":126ogkse said:

Bill, I did a 1-10 twist barrel since I have a fairly large pile of 250 and 275 grain Bitterroot Bonded Cores and they love RPMs and it hasn’t ever hurt me so I like to run a bunch of twist.

No offense to the Whelen Ackley shooters here but the true case capacity gain going to one isn’t but a few grains at most and even less when the bullet is seated out where it should be in a standard case. There is very little taper in the Whelen case as it is and the shoulder is pretty slight so we don’t gain a bunch there. Load both to the same pressures and I’d bet decent money there isn’t 50 FPS difference between the two using the same barrel, throat and such.

Looks like PP2000 is getting 2700 nowadays at standard Whelen psi with 250’s. That’s pretty incredible ground for the cartridge. Can’t imagine much that load won’t handle.

Bill, the Newton does about 2850 with 250’s and 2950 with 225’s in my old 20” barreled Newton. The new one will get a 23-25” barrel and should get there easier with a little less blast.

OU812":1un14urk said:
Sounds like the AI version is something to consider.
I totally enjoy it and took with me to MT for Elk last year. I carried it the first week I was there while scouting but carried the 338wm after I saw what and where I had to hunt since I had some long shot opportunities as well as close range.
I'm surprised Preacher Jim hasn't chimed in on this conversation since he is a big whelen and AI fan.

Back